Nick Ritchie has arrived

Cleetus

"snot"
Jan 2, 2012
North!
And comes the end of Manson and Ritchie for Torontos soft useless trash threads
why do you have to bring the leafs into this thread, they must be in your head, its about a guy that has all of 9 points in his last 12 games, most nhlers can accomplish this at some point in their career. do you honestly think this is a special feat, its a joke

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
why do you have to bring the leafs into this thread, they must be in your head, its about a guy that has all of 9 points in his last 12 games, most nhlers can accomplish this at some point in their career. do you honestly think this is a special feat, its a joke

Hard to get them out of their heads when the trade boards have been filled with Toronto Scraps for Anaheim studs or blue chip prospects for the better part of the last decade.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Power forwards take longer ... where did I hear that before . Would explain Jake Virtanen 's better play as well . I like the big guys they bring a lot to the table you can't teach . Happy for him .
I always hear this but I'm not sure it true, they also appear to decline quicker. Most high-end power-forwards were elite or performing at a high-level early on. See Lindros, Iginla, Ovechkin, and Forsberg. Out of the current top Power-forwards look at guys like Joe Thornton, Getzlaf, and Benn who were solid players at 20, and very good ones at 21. Perry took a bit of time to emerge as high-end. Landeskog was very good when he entered the league. I'm not sure there is as much variance as people think. Look currently at the Tkachuk brothers for example. Now, I can see it with middle of the pack power forwards like Clarkson, Clowe, etc. It also probably depends on how you Power forwards, because in some people's eyes someone like JVR is, and in others the guy needs to play with significant physicality.

Either way, good for Ritchie if he can maintain, and emerge as 60 point player or so.

Oct 18, 2011
He's playing very well but this thread is premature. You don't arrive after a dozen good games.

That said this is exactly why you have to be patient with PF types. He's growing into his body and also is in great shape.

He also has a great shot which I think we'll see more of.

He also played in the NHL a year ahead of schedule which i think made ppl think he'd develop faster

Reactions: Paul4587

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
My god it’s been like a dozen games. That’s not enough to declare that someone has arrived. That’s almost as bad as who declared him a bust.

Nurmagomedov

Apr 13, 2015
I'm not sure there's even a "slower to develop" argument to be made here. His development hasn't been particularly slow. He had his first complete season at 20-21 years old and had a pretty good rookie campaign. A bit disappointing sophomore season followed to be sure but a players development is rarely a straight line. It's not really out of the ordinary to have a player improve from a sophomore standard, especially as he's slimmed down a bit and is noticeably quicker on his feet. He's not going to be a PPG player, he was never going to be, but there's a whole lot of d-men in the league who aren't going to be able to do a damn thing about it when he parks his ass in the crease.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Man, this all got pedantic quickly.

Good for Ritchie though, I never thought it was a 'man strength'/conditioning issue, I thought he'd bust on ability frankly, rather than growing into man strength to play the power game in a man's league like Virtanen. Though I guess if he's a little quicker and stronger than getting to power forward spots is coming easier? Haven't been watching to know, will pay more attention now.

I will say that watching Virtanen the other night was like watching prime Shane Doan, he just turned into the bulldozer he was in juniors overnight it feels like, so no reason Ritchie couldn't also.
Ability wise he was always fine... sometimes it seemed like confidence or findin a way to put it together

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

BiolaRunner

Jan 19, 2018
It is definitely too soon to say he has arrived after that small a sample size but we are finally seeing the potential of the player he could be. He needed this good start, especially after holding out. It looks like he worked out well over the offseason. He lost his chipmunk cheeks

ImNeverWrong

THE HF ALPHA
Jan 18, 2018
Remember when Nail Yakupov arrived?
Or Galchenyuk?
Or Beau Bennett?
Or Sam Bennett?
Why the hell is galchenyuk being lumped in with those 3? Lol. Heck sam bennett can still have a decent career. Dont lump in your bust, with guys that actually contribute

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad