Player Discussion Nick Ritchie Appreciation Thread

kroypuck

Mar 23, 2018
Of course it's on Ritchie, but his agent is supposed to be the guy with the level head that should have stepped in and told him by now to take what's being offered and start building up value for his next contract year.

These guys did not go to college. Hell, some of them barely snuck by high school. They don't all have the greatest understanding of economics/business negotiations. I'm not saying It takes being Jeff Bezos to realize the mistake he is making but his agent is probably going to have a tough time finding another client.

Well considering he's signed with Newport Sport Agency, the biggest hockey agency, I doubt that. I think people would be surprised to see how much influence an agency has on their players.

Reactions: AngelDuck

KyleJRM

Jun 6, 2007
North Dakota
I think it's pretty classic sports fan to assume that he's acting against his own interests just because he's acting against *our* interests.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
I think it's pretty classic sports fan to assume that he's acting against his own interests just because he's acting against *our* interests.
Lol he absolutely is acting against his own interest in this specific case. He hasn’t earned the leverage to be doing what he’s doing

No one has said all contract disputes that go into the season are unwarranted

Reactions: McDonald19

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
Ritchie is not going to change any losses to wins. Let him hurt himself. If this was a lindholm etc I'd be more worried.

Nurmagomedov

Apr 13, 2015
I've slightly changed my mind about this situation. A while back i thought Bob was doing what he was doing with Ryan, Rakell and Magnus, that is, holding the line on a fair deal. I still do think that's what he's doing but in light of the Bobby Mac tweet, i'm giving Ritchie a bit more slack. If the Ducks are saying to him "look, you're physical and you scored 30 points but your overall game is lacking, in some parts significantly and that's worth 1.5M to us", I agree and say Ritchie has to suck it up and prove himself.

But if the Ducks are saying "look, you're physical and you scored 30 points but your overall game is lacking, in some parts significantly and that's worth 1.5M to us, and we'll only offer that for 3 years, 2 and 1 year deals are not on the table" then Ritchie isn't really wrong to not want to do that.

KyleJRM

Jun 6, 2007
North Dakota
Lol he absolutely is acting against his own interest in this specific case. He hasn’t earned the leverage to be doing what he’s doing

No one has said all contract disputes that go into the season are unwarranted

We don’t have the information to make this conclusion. You have no idea what he is being offered and why he hasn’t taken it.

Reactions: Kalv

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
You can always see me as one of the biggest Ritchie`s sceptics (I think he needed to be sent down last year, which wouldn`t be so bad at all), but I kind of want him back in the lineup as well.

Carelton CA

Dec 16, 2011
Has this ship sailed? Not sure Murray would insert him into the lineup now any way. Probably take at least a couple of weeks to get game ready.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Has this ship sailed? Not sure Murray would insert him into the lineup now any way. Probably take at least a couple of weeks to get game ready.
I`m not yet convinced I want Comtois in our lineup full time. It`s possible his ice time will reduce. In juniors he can work on more speed and strenght - he can hang with those areas already in the NHL, but I think he can get quite better in them still

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
They are having significant issues establishing net front presence, zone time, and scoring goals. Management would need to be complete idiots to tell a 30 point player he wasn’t wanted.

Both sides have kept this professional by keeping it all private. It’s a business thing. Until it gets ugly there’s no reason to think that he won’t eventually sign.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
We don’t have the information to make this conclusion. You have no idea what he is being offered and why he hasn’t taken it.
Doesn’t matter what’s being offered. Murray isn’t budging either way. So he either sits out the whole season or signs and gets paid

Reactions: Ducks DVM

bumperkisser

Mar 31, 2009
I've slightly changed my mind about this situation. A while back i thought Bob was doing what he was doing with Ryan, Rakell and Magnus, that is, holding the line on a fair deal. I still do think that's what he's doing but in light of the Bobby Mac tweet, i'm giving Ritchie a bit more slack. If the Ducks are saying to him "look, you're physical and you scored 30 points but your overall game is lacking, in some parts significantly and that's worth 1.5M to us", I agree and say Ritchie has to suck it up and prove himself.

But if the Ducks are saying "look, you're physical and you scored 30 points but your overall game is lacking, in some parts significantly and that's worth 1.5M to us, and we'll only offer that for 3 years, 2 and 1 year deals are not on the table" then Ritchie isn't really wrong to not want to do that.

it really doesn't matter which version it is. ultimately we have all the leverage and he needs to sign or not play. does it suck? yes in a way, but thats paying your dues.

associates have to pay their dues to become partners

KyleJRM

Jun 6, 2007
North Dakota
Fans have insisted the team has all the leverage in pretty much every player holdout in history. It's not true. If it were, players wouldn't be getting paid millions of dollars to play hockey.

Just let the process play out with respect for both sides.

Reactions: Smirnov2Chistov
Oct 18, 2011
Fans have insisted the team has all the leverage in pretty much every player holdout in history. It's not true. If it were, players wouldn't be getting paid millions of dollars to play hockey.

In this instance Ritchie has none. He simply hasn't done enough in his career to really generate an offersheet for the money he seems to want

He should take the QO if he wants a short deal

McDonald19

Sep 9, 2003
California

The top players have leverage. I believe Disney caved and made Kariya one of the highest paid players in hockey to end his holdout. Ritchie does not enjoy that type of leverage.

Reactions: Ducks DVM

KyleJRM

Jun 6, 2007
North Dakota
The top players have leverage. I believe Disney caved and made Kariya one of the highest paid players in hockey to end his holdout. Ritchie does not enjoy that type of leverage.

If there were no difference between Street and Ritchie, they wouldn't be offering Ritchie probably a million dollars more.

But I'll let it go and not belabor the point. We can agree to disagree on this one.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
A second thought on Ritchie situation.

John Gibson IIRC signed his 3 year bridge deal averaging 2.3M after he played 40 games with .920 S% and 2.07 GAA in the season prior.
Ritchie just scored 10+17=27p in a 3d line complimentary role. I can see why Bob is not willing to sign him for too much (like 2M)

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
So if Nicole Ritchie showed up in Ice Skates would Carlyle play her thinking its Ritchie after he completed his 'offseason makeover' into Nicole Ritchie ?

Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
Leverage is a continuum, it's not prime Kariya or zero and nothing in between. The more games we have like the last one, signing Ritchie is going to get a lot more important to Murray in a big hurry.

dracom

Dec 22, 2015
Vancouver, WA
Leverage is a continuum, it's not prime Kariya or zero and nothing in between. The more games we have like the last one, signing Ritchie is going to get a lot more important to Murray in a big hurry.
Uhh, why? Ritchie does not fix the team or add anything THAT important that a few bad games doesn't make him an immediate need. Murray has no reason to budge from whatever he's offering.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad