Player Discussion: Nick Perbix

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
I think with most prospects like this (older, not a lot of hype), the first thing it's safe to assume is they have an NHL career in front of them. To me, it's too early to start talking Top 4 and whatnot, because there's still so much time for the warts to show up. The guy who really broke that mold was Cernak, who has to be one of the more consistent non-blue chip D prospects I've ever seen. He just showed up a #4 and matured into a #3.

Yeah Cernak just hit the ground and went. Who was the last defender we developed like that before him? Hedman? I'm serious. If Perbix never got any better than this and we could guarantee this from here on, I'd still dance out the door

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Yeah Cernak just hit the ground and went. Who was the last defender we developed like that before him? Hedman? I'm serious. If Perbix never got any better than this and we could guarantee this from here on, I'd still dance out the door
Lots of hiccups with Hedman though. He was fairly raw and developed, but he was also the blue chipper of all blue chippers. Im thinking more about guys who get developed. We see them come up, show flashes that get us excited, and then implode. Sometimes they come back from that implosion and make progress; other times they're gone within a year or two.

Trying to stay even keeled on Perbix, but I like what I'm seeing. Never seems to panic. Holds his poise at the blue line under pressure. He just seems like he "gets it," whereas most prospects who look good early, look good on skill alone.

bigdaddio

Jan 22, 2019
Just what every player wants; to be nicknamed after a grocery store chain owned by fanatical, right-wing, religious zealots that treat their employees like shit. Can we please not?

My guess is that he has had one particular nickname throughout his hockey playing life and it has nothing to do with groceries. I see no need to change it.
You must be fun at parties.

Bartleby

I would prefer not to.
Mar 2, 2022
Ocala, FL
It sounds like he's an ex Publix employee
No, not an ex employee. I have a close friend who worked there for a couple of years - the hardest working, most dedicated family man you have ever met - and he told me plenty of horror stories. It's a long story but the good news is that after they did him dirty (more than once) he quit and is doing far better now both financially and personally than he ever would have if he stayed, and that is even if they hadn't reneged on every promise they ever made to him. I also coached some kids whose parents worked there and got to know them pretty well. They had long ago confirmed for me what my buddy subsequently experienced first hand. So no, not a fan of Publix at all.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
No, not an ex employee. I have a close friend who worked there for a couple of years - the hardest working, most dedicated family man you have ever met - and he told me plenty of horror stories. It's a long story but the good news is that after they did him dirty (more than once) he quit and is doing far better now both financially and personally than he ever would have if he stayed, and that is even if they hadn't reneged on every promise they ever made to him. I also coached some kids whose parents worked there and got to know them pretty well. They had long ago confirmed for me what my buddy subsequently experienced first hand. So no, not a fan of Publix at all.

Not to defend shitty treatment but all retail companies are terrible to work for unless you're a full time employee. I guarantee you your friend was being modest about how shitty it was. If he was a part timer it was probably dog turds. But we could wake up in the great depression and as the years go by, not one store will close or one employee be laid off while their stock eventually climbs back to like $70 a share because it just split and that 54 year old cashier will keep her $16.80 per hour at 40 hours a week with her 10 days vacation and 40 hour holiday bonuses. Guys like your friend will have a bad go. Others like this hypothetical cashier are how it's named like #3 on the fortune 500 best places to work

Retail. Restaurants. Healthcare. It's the three most thankless businesses there is. It sucks man

Point21

Oct 23, 2018
ggrsg4ahcvz91.png

OffBy1

Aug 5, 2021
He's currently +7 while the next best defenseman, Foote, is +2. Serge is 0 and Hedman is -2. Not a bad start for a rookie.

Ducati Boy

HF Original
Feb 7, 2018
I expect him to become a top 4 regular. Unlike some previous new faces on D, he has the brain, the athletic ability, and the hockey sense.

Best story of our season so far.

BoltzManConstant

Mar 8, 2017
Upper West Side
He looks really good with Heddy. He just got here why an RFA next year already?

He only signed a one year deal. When a contract ends, anyone who's not a UFA is an RFA. If he keeps up his play, would be nice to extend him before the season ends.

If you're wondering why he's arbitration-eligible, it's because he's at the age where just 1 year of NHL experience gets him arb rights.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad