Player Discussion: Nick Perbix

bigdaddio

Jan 22, 2019
What do I know, but he passes the eyeball test. He doesn't look lost, or slow, or makes stupid decisions. Seems like a good enough player right now to keep playing. And if he has upside beyond this he can be more than a bottom 2 D-man for sure.

Reactions: Hoek

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
Coop:
"It's a tough position to play, defense. I know he's a little older in age so he's got a bit more mature body, more mature mind, but still when you've got these players barreling down on you, you still have to make plays, and for the most part he's done that. He's still trying to get acclimated to our system. He came from a college program where he played a bunch of years there and learned one way, and now he has to change a bit with us. He's got a good head for the game and this is something he'll be able to pick up, he's just going to need more reps. Right now he's getting them in the NHL and I think he's doing a heck of a job."
On his hit against Tkachuk:
"It shows a little moxie that he has in him. You have to like that because it's a big part of why we've had so much success is players with a little moxie. Hopefully he can add that for us."

Reactions: Pierre Larouche

bov

Nov 13, 2010
Kind of a quiet preseason then looked shaky in his debut but since then, only getting better. Definitely looks like an NHL player for years to come.

Reactions: Summer Rose

Summer Rose

Red Like Roses
Sponsor
May 3, 2012
Gainesville, Florida
Perbix sub

SYETcSD.png

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Can we please, please nickname him Publix?
Only if we drop the Bagel nickname. I feel like we can think of an even better one and we just haven't thought of it yet is all. For a dude who looks exactly like Point's sibling there's gotta be something out there

Kind of a quiet preseason then looked shaky in his debut but since then, only getting better. Definitely looks like an NHL player for years to come.
The first 100 or so games will be telling. Sustr came on well then after about game 50ish he fell into a hole he never climbed out of. I will never for the life of me understand how he lasted as long as he did

Reactions: ultra63

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
The first 100 or so games will be telling. Sustr came on well then after about game 50ish he fell into a hole he never climbed out of. I will never for the life of me understand how he lasted as long as he did
Or it’s just that our (fans) expectations grow. The first couple of games “all” you have to do is to not look completely out of your element on the 3rd pairing. After a certain threshold of games that changes because these young guys (presumably) all have potential and people love to project them. Like in Sustr’s case, a big fella who can skate. “Aah he just needs to bulk up over the summer, imagine how he’d ragdoll people - like Pronger!”. “Aah he just needs to improve his stick work, imagine him threading the needle - like Hedman!” Turns out he’s neither Pronger nor Hedman and never had that in himself.

Plus he actually got worse lol.

Reactions: RussianGuyovich

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Yeah, the poise really stood out tonight. Most new Dmen start strong and then begin to fade. There are exceptions. Cernak came into the league about 90% formed, and got a little better with experience, and rarely seemed to falter even as he took on more and more responsibility.

It would be nice if what we're seeing now is what we can expect from Perbix.

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
Is Cernak finally going to get some help at RD? This kid looks like he's going to stick around in the top 4

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
He's looking really good so far. Not even gonna speculate on how his development is gonna go. I've been hurt before. I don't want it to happen again
I think with most prospects like this (older, not a lot of hype), the first thing it's safe to assume is they have an NHL career in front of them. To me, it's too early to start talking Top 4 and whatnot, because there's still so much time for the warts to show up. The guy who really broke that mold was Cernak, who has to be one of the more consistent non-blue chip D prospects I've ever seen. He just showed up a #4 and matured into a #3.

Bartleby

I would prefer not to.
Mar 2, 2022
Ocala, FL
Can we please, please nickname him Publix?
Just what every player wants; to be nicknamed after a grocery store chain owned by fanatical, right-wing, religious zealots that treat their employees like shit. Can we please not?

My guess is that he has had one particular nickname throughout his hockey playing life and it has nothing to do with groceries. I see no need to change it.

Last edited:
Reactions: ultra63

RussianGuyovich

Hella Ennui
Jan 2, 2007
The comparisons to cernak are odd, to me, since he was a second round draft pick that entered the league at 21 years old. Also perbix seems to have a little more offensive upside than Cernak.

Reactions: LTIR Trickery

Stammertime91

TBL: TEAM OF THE CENTURY
Dec 13, 2011
Tampa: NHL's Newest Dynasty
Just what every player wants; to be nicknamed after a grocery store chain owned by fanatical, right-wing, religious zealots and that treats their employees like shit. Can we please not?

I'm sure he's had one in particular nickname throughout his hockey playing life and it has nothing to do with groceries. I see no need to change it.
The hatred runs deep with this one.

The comparisons to cernak are odd, to me, since he was a second round draft pick that entered the league at 21 years old. Also perbix seems to have a little more offensive upside than Cernak.
Yes, like one goal. Ba dum tss.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I don't mean to compare him to Cernak. It's more like, Cernak is the best example of a guy who came in strong and kept it up. Most guys who come in strong eventually fall off a cliff. We will see which route Perbix takes.

Reactions: LightningStrikes

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Man, did we all have high hopes after Jake Dotchin’s first 30-ish games.
Yeah, that's a good example. We paid to keep that guy on the roster because he could hold his own beside Hedman. But I mean, we all had high(ish) hopes for Sustr when he came out of college too. Even Koekkoek looked like he could hold his own initially.

Just saying, with Dmen, there is often an initial stage where, for whatever reason, they look like they are making the jump. And then the other shoe drops. Sometimes that means they're out of the league.

What I like most about Perbix right now isn't the skill, but the poise. He looks really, really calm back there (as opposed to, say, Fleury). I think that bodes well for his ability to keep this level of play up. Doesn't seem phased by the pressure.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad