Player Discussion: Nick Perbix

Point21

Oct 23, 2018
With Nick Perbix being one of our top college free agents this year. what are the chances he signs with us? what are the chances of him making a roster spot out of camp? Tampa only has 6 RHD signed next year and Bogo is the only one that's over 24 years old. Perbix was a point per game this past season for St. Cloud State and played 4 games for the US in the Olympics. I feel like his size (6'4, 200lbs) fits what Tampa loves in their defensemen.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
With Nick Perbix being one of our top college free agents this year. what are the chances he signs with us? what are the chances of him making a roster spot out of camp? Tampa only has 6 RHD signed next year and Bogo is the only one that's over 24 years old. Perbix was a point per game this past season for St. Cloud State and played 4 games for the US in the Olympics. I feel like his size (6'4, 200lbs) fits what Tampa loves in their defensemen.

He's not a free agent he's a top prospect. I don't see why he wouldn't sign with us, we've been as good to him as you really can be to a college player. The RD position is a bit crowded this year but he isn't signing to help this year. Next season Rutta may be gone, Bogosian can't stay healthy a full year and who knows what we do with Foote? His only prospect competition is Thompson who needs more time while Perbix should be close to NHL ready. So hopefully he decides to sign, it being a few days already is a bit concerning, not sure what they are waiting on? We could use the depth on the backend and cheap contracts.

Point21

Oct 23, 2018
He's not a free agent he's a top prospect. I don't see why he wouldn't sign with us, we've been as good to him as you really can be to a college player. The RD position is a bit crowded this year but he isn't signing to help this year. Next season Rutta may be gone, Bogosian can't stay healthy a full year and who knows what we do with Foote? His only prospect competition is Thompson who needs more time while Perbix should be close to NHL ready. So hopefully he decides to sign, it being a few days already is a bit concerning, not sure what they are waiting on? We could use the depth on the backend and cheap contracts.
I think he could be like the other college prospects that have signed so far and do an ELC that starts next year and get an ATO with Syracuse to help them this year

Outl4w

Dec 16, 2011
FL
I don't see why he wouldn't sign here. He gets a chance to play with a great core for a few years. He could possibly compete with Foote and Ruuta if he resigns right out the gate for the 5/6/7 defenseman.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
I don't see why he wouldn't sign here. He gets a chance to play with a great core for a few years. He could possibly compete with Foote and Ruuta if he resigns right out the gate for the 5/6/7 defenseman.
There's been a thought put out there that a team like Arizona could be a very appealing place for college free agents. A salary floor team that's sold it's worthwhile expensive players. He'd maybe get right into the NHL in that case.

Outl4w

Dec 16, 2011
FL
There's been a thought put out there that a team like Arizona could be a very appealing place for college free agents. A salary floor team that's sold it's worthwhile expensive players. He'd maybe get right into the NHL in that case.
Lose forever and play at a college stadium or go to a winning team that is a top tier franchise. The choice is probably pretty easy to make.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
Lose forever and play at a college stadium or go to a winning team that is a top tier franchise. The choice is probably pretty easy to make.
He'll be 24 in June. If he calculates that Arizona is going to build so that they can contend in 3-4 years once the building in Tempe is ready, he'll be ~27 and on the verge of UFA status.

His timeline isn't one of a 20-year-old.

Outl4w

Dec 16, 2011
FL
He'll be 24 in June. If he calculates that Arizona is going to build so that they can contend in 3-4 years once the building in Tempe is ready, he'll be ~27 and on the verge of UFA status.

His timeline isn't one of a 20-year-old.
Exactly he could compete with Foote and ruuta for 5/6/7 spot for cheap

Reactions: Major4Boarding

Major4Boarding

Unfamiliar Moderator
Jan 30, 2009
South of Heaven
I would much rather see him get a year under his belt in Syracuse and then contend for a 5-7 slot here on this roster 2023-2024

If that is the prevailing thought, then Arizona would not be a wise choice because, although I’m sure they can probably place him on the NHL roster this coming October they sure as hell are not even 2 to 3 (let alone 3 to 4) years away from contending either.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
Exactly he could compete with Foote and ruuta for 5/6/7 spot for cheap
I get what you're saying, and it heavily depends on how much Arizona wants to tear everything down, but if the Coyotes are able to all but assure Perbix a roster spot on their team focused on 'development' (tanking) while making NHL money, I could see it being appealing. They'd be terrible and have no chance of winning anything, but the risk of signing with a contender is that you don't make the Tampa Bay Lightning and earn 80k in the AHL.

I'm trying to look at it from a player's perspective, needing to break into the NHL basically right away.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
I would much rather see him get a year under his belt in Syracuse and then contend for a 5-7 slot here on this roster 2023-2024

If that is the prevailing thought, then Arizona would not be a wise choice because, although I’m sure they can probably place, him on the NHL roster this coming October they sure as hell are not even 2 to 3 (let alone 3 to 4) years away from contending either.
At that point he'd be UFA and could go wherever.

Arizona isn't done selling, and haven't used their draft picks yet, but a 3-year rebuild is reasonable. The Rangers started their rebuild about that long ago, and they're back in it now. By the time Perbix's rights would expire in August, we'll know more about where Arizona actually is.

The Coyotes have 7 picks in the first two rounds this year and haven't moved Chychrun.

Last edited:

Major4Boarding

Unfamiliar Moderator
Jan 30, 2009
South of Heaven
At that point he'd be UFA and could go wherever.

Arizona isn't done selling, and haven't used their draft picks yet, but a 3-year rebuild is reasonable. The Rangers started their rebuild about that long ago, and they're back in it now. By the time Perbix's rights would expire in August, we'll know more about where Arizona actually is.

The Coyotes have 7 picks in the first two rounds this year and haven't moved Chychrun.
I guess I see it from a different angle when it comes to Arizona. I don’t see them having the financial means to put together a contender.

The Rangers rebuild model would make sense (as a comparison) if the ownership group of the Coyotes were on par with the financial means of the Rangers and Dolan.

At the end of day, he’s gonna do what he feels is in his best interest. Which I will respect. I just happen to think that the path for him would be with a contender where within a year (or two) he can take a roster spot.

5-7 is where he’ll slot in here. Which is pretty much where he’ll slot in anywhere regardless if it was Arizona, us, Seattle, or even Anaheim.

Of those options which one gives you the best chance to win and best chance for that second SPC that’s financially equitable

I just hope it’s the Lightning.

Reactions: Felonious Python

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
My apologies, FP. I’m confused. Do you mean UFA a year from now? Or in that supposed window of 2 to 3 or 3 to 4 years?
I'm talking down the road.

The Rangers have 31 million in cap space right now. The Preds have 66.

edit: that's cap space accrued. The Rangers are 4.9 million under the cap and the Preds are more than 10 million under the cap. The Coyotes are 5.1 million under.

Last edited:
Reactions: Major4Boarding

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
The issue with Perbix and Arizona is that they need to hit the cap floor still. They have 14M to go to get there and a 14 player roster with only Crouse expecting a decent raise. They also may have 6 or more players on an ELC already. I'm sure they'll take some cap dumps or LTIR players but not every NCAA free agent will get a chance to play there. He'll have to sign a 2 year ELC here or there if he gets traded there unless he waits till August to sign. So either way he isn't get big money right away and will have a few years as an RFA to go.

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ

If that is the prevailing thought, then Arizona would not be a wise choice because, although I’m sure they can probably place him on the NHL roster this coming October they sure as hell are not even 2 to 3 (let alone 3 to 4) years away from contending either.
I feel like if he was trying to speed his way to the NHL, he wouldn't have taken the route he did. He could have easily signed last year too. I think he knew that after being passed over in the 2016 draft, and being taken late in the 2017 draft he needed time to develop. I don't think that changes here, and he'll need time in the AHL.

Imo going to a team like Arizona would be a disaster. There's risk/reward there. He might make the opening night lineup, but you also get thrown into the flames each game. It's been brutal for guys like Chychrun and Stralman, and there's no mercy for rookies. It's the old saying: it's easy to make the league, but staying is the hard part.

If I were him, I'd stick with the team that drafted you. I don't mean that as a loyalty thing. It's knowing that 1 team picked you with a purpose, has been invested in your growth for the past 5 years, and, and know you better than any other organization. There's a plan in place. He can look at a guy like Foote who's been able to take it nice and steady, and has a good safety net around him. All the major players from his draft year: Stacy Roest, Al Murray, JBB, Coop, Groulx, etc are still here. John Rosso who scouted Minnesota high schools for us as an amateur scout is still here and now Assistant Director of Player Personnel.

Is there a pathway to the NHL with the dmen the Lightning have? No one can say for sure, but as a player you can't look too far ahead to Tampa's top 6 when you still have to fight for ice time in Syracuse. Righty dman Jack Thompson is signed and he'll be there when his season's done. Declan Carlile just signed his ELC. Pylenkov could be offered one when his season's over. Big righty Roman Schmidt is a whole year away still, but he's already got his contract. There will always be competition.

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
futurama-good-news-everyone.gif

Point21

Oct 23, 2018
Exciting if true. had a feeling it would get done by friday. hopefully all goes well and we see him fighting for a roster spot next season

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
Cooper on the recent call up of Perbix:
"He had a great camp. Right handed shot that showed he can play. So another one that we'd like to see what he's got, and what he can do. He's got size and strength, but he has great vision, he's really poised out there, like it doesn't seem like his heart rate gets too high. Now it's just a matter of the pace of the league, the defending, and if he can check those boxes. Like I said he had a good camp so we'll see if he gets in here."

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad