Confirmed with Link: Nick Palmieri + Darroll Powe for Mike Rupp

Status
Not open for further replies.

toewsintangibles

Leadership analyst
Dec 23, 2012
Sent: Feb 5, 2013 11:54a

#NYR Tortorella called Rupp a "great teammate" but said he struggled to find him ice time, worried about speed of the game

Don't expect too much of him as a hockey player

Billy Mays Here*

Was Fidel at any time ever coached by Yeo in the Pittsburgh organization?

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Ultimately this trade will cause Kassian to be traded or waived...which opens a roster spot, which means when Spurgeon comes back, Coyle stays with the Wild.

tomgilbertfan

#WhyBother
Jun 22, 2008
Minnesota
Did Fidel ever play for a Midwestern college team?

He played for Michigan, but was kicked out when him and a few other players planned to overthrow the current captains and instill a non-captained 'equal' team. Turns out that plan involved some stabbing.

TZM

Par too easy
Mar 25, 2012
Kerava
I honestly haven't heard about this guy, ever. I do watch a lot of hockey...

I've got a feeling he'll surprise me in a good way.

Jarick

Doing Nothing
I honestly haven't heard about this guy, ever. I do watch a lot of hockey...

I've got a feeling he'll surprise me in a good way.

Really? Not even the WC? He's a role player, fourth liner, bit of a fighter, bit of a grinder. Pops in the odd goal but not with regularity.

Is Powe a better hockey player? Yeah, sure. So is Veilleux and Dowell. Rupp provides size, intimidation, and character though.

Are those things valuable? That's a hell of a lot better question to ask. I'm not so sure that having a goon on the bench is any value at all, but coaches seem to think so, and they know a whole hell of a lot more about hockey than I do.

I personally think it's way more valuable to have a skill guy with some size and grit on the same line as a smaller skill guy, just because there's an actual deterrent. Like Konopka last night (not that he's a skill guy). Mess with Granlund, guarantee he comes after you. Mess with Granlund while Rupp is on the bench, maybe a 1% chance there's anything that comes about? Or does Rupp fight their tough guy? How is that a deterrent?

Getzlaf would be the kind of guy you want on a line with Granlund. Big and can play mean, will fight you, etc. Maybe Coyle becomes a player like that?

Randy BoBandy

Cheeseburger Party
May 9, 2011
Sunnyvale
Really? Not even the WC? He's a role player, fourth liner, bit of a fighter, bit of a grinder. Pops in the odd goal but not with regularity.

Is Powe a better hockey player? Yeah, sure. So is Veilleux and Dowell. Rupp provides size, intimidation, and character though.

Are those things valuable? That's a hell of a lot better question to ask. I'm not so sure that having a goon on the bench is any value at all, but coaches seem to think so, and they know a whole hell of a lot more about hockey than I do.

I personally think it's way more valuable to have a skill guy with some size and grit on the same line as a smaller skill guy, just because there's an actual deterrent. Like Konopka last night (not that he's a skill guy). Mess with Granlund, guarantee he comes after you. Mess with Granlund while Rupp is on the bench, maybe a 1% chance there's anything that comes about? Or does Rupp fight their tough guy? How is that a deterrent?

Getzlaf would be the kind of guy you want on a line with Granlund. Big and can play mean, will fight you, etc. Maybe Coyle becomes a player like that?

It would be awesome if Coyle could add a little more anger to his game. I don't know if anger is the best word to describe it, but he has seemed a bit passive for his size. I hope he can learn to use his size and strength to make moves to the net. He is an underrated passer, but I would love to seem him continue and grow into that aggressive, athletic, and punishing powerforward the Wild so desperately need.

But on topic. I did like that shift where Rupp went crazy in the playoffs last year pushing Brodeur. Hilarious

Last edited:

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
Rupp is a goal scoring threat like Simon was a goal scoring threat. he did it in the past, but now he is a shadow of his former self. evidently he's a great character/lockerroom guy, but then again Powe was too. Hasn't done **** outside of the WC since pittsburgh. there is the chance, though, that he will have a renaissance year here so why not, i guess. more PK time for the big guns but whatever.

Jarick

Doing Nothing
Russo Blog

Mike Rupp, the player the Wild got in return for Powe and Nick Palmieri, had to first go home to say goodbye to his family.

Rupp and his wife, Christi, have four children, including a 10- and an 8-year-old.

“The hardest thing was putting them to bed last night. We all got a little emotional because you know I’m not going to see them for a few months,†Rupp said. “It’s tough, but it’s what we signed up for. But before you knew it, my daughter [Maddie] started drawing pictures of the Wild logo and writing facts about the state of Minnesota.â€

Daw...

Because the Wild plays a similar system to the Penguins, it shouldn’t take long for the 6-foot-5, 243-pound Rupp to reaccustom himself.

“I just remember practices were real up-tempo and the way the game was played was just getting north with the puck as quick as you could,†Rupp said.

The Wild acquired Rupp to bring a physical element to the Wild’s lineup and to add a size dimension down low in the offensive zone.

“Obviously most people wouldn’t say I play a pretty game or anything, but the one thing my strength has been in my career is my forechecking and holding onto pucks in the offensive zone,†Rupp said.

“When you do that, you’re able to create some offensive chances when you get on a line that works well together below the hash marks in the offensive zone. There’s not much better defense than keeping a team 180 feet away from your goal.â€

Sounds like he was brought in probably not as the first forechecker but a trailer that can come in, lay a hit, hopefully hold the puck deep, maybe bang one here or there around the net.

Hope his legs are up to the challenge...

Minnesota

L'Etoile du Nord
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2011
Crap... Now I almost want Rupp to get sent home so he can spend time with his kids. :(

rynryn

May 29, 2008
Minny
Russo Blog

Daw...

Sounds like he was brought in probably not as the first forechecker but a trailer that can come in, lay a hit, hopefully hold the puck deep, maybe bang one here or there around the net.

Hope his legs are up to the challenge...

that's the problem though, as I've understood it from NYR fans...it's his legs that are the problem. He can't catch anyone to lay any hits. Its why this confuses me. Again, not a big deal, but I don't understand the move given the complaints about his play are centered around his foot speed.

OpRedDawn*

So.... What's wrong with just playing kass instead of this guy?

rynryn

May 29, 2008
Minny
So.... What's wrong with just playing kass instead of this guy?

Obviously they think Rupp is capable of more than fighting (poorly) despite the overwhelming majority of Rangers fans opining the opposite.
Edit: i'm not for or against Kassian, really, but Rangers fans are so down on Rupp I'm expecting he can skate no faster than Kass. Very curious to closely observe this myself.

JamesRanger

Sep 23, 2011
Plymouth
If Rupp is scratched for every game until the end of his contract I don't think this trade affects the team in any significant fashion.

rynryn

May 29, 2008
Minny
If Rupp is scratched for every game until the end of his contract I don't think this trade affects the team in any significant fashion.

Well if Coyle stays up because of it and actually plays well enough to log more than 12 minutes, then you could say it impacts the team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad