Confirmed with Link: Nick Palmieri + Darroll Powe for Mike Rupp

Status
Not open for further replies.

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
Hey guys, just checking back to see how Big Mike has been doing for you guys? Great teammate and character guy in the room.

he had a breakaway! He's been hitting and strong along the boards. No complaints. you can't fault him for not producing offense if your big guns aren't doing that either.

Jarick

Doing Nothing
He's had much more of an impact at even strength. He's not the first in on the forecheck and reminds me a bit of Boogaard when he's trying to turn (WIDE AND SLOW) but he's scared the crap out of some defenseman who throw the puck away and clear out when he's coming in for the hit. Takes a while to get up to speed but top speed is decent for his role.

He's also had some nice plays around the net where he's banged away at pucks, even had a breakaway last game. Might have drawn a penalty? Can't recall.

Doesn't play on the PK but we have plenty of guys who can do that.

I've generally liked him more than Powe, but we have so many of those speedy grinder types that we just needed variety. Brodziak, Clutterbuck, Mitchell, and Konopka all play variations of the same game that Powe does. We didn't have any big forecheckers like Rupp.

Guessing a win-win trade?

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
He's had much more of an impact at even strength. He's not the first in on the forecheck and reminds me a bit of Boogaard when he's trying to turn (WIDE AND SLOW) but he's scared the crap out of some defenseman who throw the puck away and clear out when he's coming in for the hit. Takes a while to get up to speed but top speed is decent for his role.

He's also had some nice plays around the net where he's banged away at pucks, even had a breakaway last game. Might have drawn a penalty? Can't recall.

Doesn't play on the PK but we have plenty of guys who can do that.

I've generally liked him more than Powe, but we have so many of those speedy grinder types that we just needed variety. Brodziak, Clutterbuck, Mitchell, and Konopka all play variations of the same game that Powe does. We didn't have any big forecheckers like Rupp.

Guessing a win-win trade?

Thats great! Rupp is a great teammate and you can't ever fault his effort.

Yeah, Powe has settled in perfectly on the Rangers 4th line. Powe-Halpern-Asham has been sustaining a forecheck and have been a pain in the ass to play against on a nightly basis. He also has looked very good on the PK which was needed.

Definitely sounds like a win-win at this point.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Rupp isn't nearly as slow a skater as Ranger fans led us to believe. He's got a decent top gear once he's going, just not great acceleration. Since he skates primarily north and south, his top gear gets quite a bit of use.

He's definitely been an injection of something this team was needing. His board play is excellent, which I think his showing others what it takes has started to spread some of that up the lineup.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Rupp isn't nearly as slow a skater as Ranger fans led us to believe. He's got a decent top gear once he's going, just not great acceleration. Since he skates primarily north and south, his top gear gets quite a bit of use.

He's definitely been an injection of something this team was needing. His board play is excellent, which I think his showing others what it takes has started to spread some of that up the lineup.

Yeah, once up to speed he is fine, It's getting there that made him look slow in the Rangers system. It's a lot of stop-and-starts in NY.

Beegoalie

Dec 21, 2011
Pominville Minnesota
I like Rupp so far..we have so many guys that can play the PK so Powe was expendable...a big guy that can skate and hit is just what we needed in that bottom 6. Good trade Fletch.

Teddy10Beers

Dec 31, 2011
Minnesota
What I don't like about the Powe trade has nothing to do with Rupp. It's that we gave up a 3rd round pick in this year's draft to acquire Powe. In a deep draft it will be 'interesting' to see who Philly selects.

MK9

Feb 28, 2008
Andover, MN

Yeah I was expecting slow as molasses. He wasn't even close to as bad as we were told.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Yeah I was expecting slow as molasses. He wasn't even close to as bad as we were told.

Having witnessed the skating of John Scott, Boogaard and especially Brunette...we're very familiar with how that kind of skating looks... Rupp definitely does not fit that bill!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad