Sportsnet: Nick Kypreos: Morgan Rielly is expected to remain with Leafs

hullsy47

Dec 7, 2005
1.. All of those stats are ******** if you're going to look at them in a blanket.

2. The entire team cannot be bad at "possession". If you took a great "possession" player and put him on the leafs, it's an almost guarantee he becomes a poor "possession" player.

i agree .......there are other defenseman that have to go before reilly ,sending reilly down wont make the last 2 losses go away ,but ranger and gards are certainly making it easier for reilly to stay here
ranger is truggling most nites and reilly at the end of the day will match gardiner in points

likeabosski

Jul 31, 2013
1.. All of those stats are ******** if you're going to look at them in a blanket.

2. The entire team cannot be bad at "possession". If you took a great "possession" player and put him on the leafs, it's an almost guarantee he becomes a poor "possession" player.
The team is bad at possession collectively. Hence why I said that maybe the problem is Carlyle. Not saying that ever single individual player sucks at the possession game.

Kagunoshi

Jul 23, 2009
Toronto
The team is bad at possession collectively. Hence why I said that maybe the problem is Carlyle. Not saying that ever single individual player sucks at the possession game.

Yeah I agree with this completely usually their passes are cut off and leads to a turnover the worse though is their possession in the d zone which is just horrid particularly with gunnersson and ranger..

likeabosski

Jul 31, 2013
Morgan Rielly had 14 giveaways this season (tied for 2nd in the NHL among D-Men). So while his point production has been solid, maybe his 4th among Leafs Top 6 in Corsi For % (despite having the best offensive zone starts) is deserved... 14 giveaways in 7 games is not going to do a whole lot of good to your possession numbers.

5 Leafs defenseman place top 10 in giveaways among NHL D-Men. That is terrible.

I'm not a big fan of relying too much on real-time stats. But this is just another evaluation tool we have along with traditional stats and advanced stats.

With the Leafs defenseman playing so poorly, we should look at bringing Mark Fraser into the mix when he's healthy. Calling up John-Michael Liles from the minors is another option available to the Leafs. BUT the Leafs would have to put a defenseman on waivers (unless they send down waiver-exempt Morgan Rielly) to bring Liles back.

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
Honestly I think focusing on individual giveaway numbers isn't that helpful. There is probably a damn good reason why most of the Leafs blueline have terrible numbers and it's not because these guys don't know how to pass pucks. More of a problem with our breakout and where the heck our forwards are putting themselves to try and receive a pass.

Fraser or Liles likely won't change the trend to giveaway the puck, just join the others up in the stats.

likeabosski

Jul 31, 2013
Honestly I think focusing on individual giveaway numbers isn't that helpful. There is probably a damn good reason why most of the Leafs blueline have terrible numbers and it's not because these guys don't know how to pass pucks. More of a problem with our breakout and where the heck our forwards are putting themselves to try and receive a pass.

Fraser or Liles likely won't change the trend to giveaway the puck, just join the others up in the stats.
Yeah if the forwards are not dropping back in the play and making themselves available for a high-percentage pass (passes that are likely to be completed), that is going to make the giveaway stats look bad.

Plus real-time stats are pretty inconsistent. Apparently the guys who do the real-time stats at the Air Canada Centre are not very accurate.

Durrr

Sep 11, 2012

So so so so much this. Cannot believe how much posters here are making individuals seem like the problem, and while these individuals are making some bad plays nightly or not giving 100%, that is not the overall problem. Getting rid of 1 player for the next guy in line does absolutely nothing.

I do believe that Carlyle's system is a winning one, but that doesn't mean there aren't major problems with it. Break out and puck possession need to be seriously addressed and it begins and ends with Carlyle making adjustments.

SteveV*

Has anyone noticed that Morgan seems to get better as the game goes on?

TheMadHatTrick

Nov 2, 2008
My tribute to former Moose Jaw Warrior and current Toronto Maple Leafs defenseman Morgan Rielly.

Last edited:

Renegade

Jun 23, 2013
Pickering, ON
The best way to get a guy adjusted to the game is to give him games with the big club! Rielly is easily one of the top 3 defensemen on this squad yet we're thinking of sending him down? That is purely ridiculous.

4 points in 8 games as a rookie defenseman is pretty damn good if you ask me.

Semantics

PUBLIC ENEMY #1
Jan 3, 2007
San Francisco
The best way to get a guy adjusted to the game is to give him games with the big club! Rielly is easily one of the top 3 defensemen on this squad yet we're thinking of sending him down? That is purely ridiculous.

Yeah I really don't get the mentality of some fans that he makes a few mistakes and then they're like "he's not ready, send him down".

If you want him to play like a 5 year vet in his rookie season that's not going to happen.

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina
Much better in the corners than I expected him to be. Passing is NHL calibre, as is his skating and decision-making, obviously. He's creative in the offensive zone, although I would like to see him sneak down more often.

He really does need to work on his shot. From the point, he wrists it high way more times than I'd like. If you're expecting to score on that, you need to shoot it harder, and he doesn't have the shot to make it happen at the moment. So please, just keep it low and look for the redirect. Defensively, he's lost on 2 on 1's. Just not good at all. There's a bit of a learning curve there though, and I know he can improve. It's been costing us though.

snizzbone*

Defensively, he's lost on 2 on 1's. Just not good at all. There's a bit of a learning curve there though, and I know he can improve. It's been costing us though.

Don't see how its been costing us. Not many are going to stop the breaks hes been having to defend. They shouldn't even be happening either, Franson keeps getting caught pinching or falling over.

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina
Don't see how its been costing us. Not many are going to stop the breaks hes been having to defend. They shouldn't even be happening either, Franson keeps getting caught pinching or falling over.

Heh, good point. Franson's lack of mobility will always be his biggest downside.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad