Sportsnet: Nick Kypreos: Morgan Rielly is expected to remain with Leafs

Garbs

Jul 2, 2005
London, Ontario
Sending a player down because you don't want to burn one of their ECL years is seriously so bush-league.

Didn't expect we would.

Paris in Flames

Feb 4, 2009
Man.

Has Pierre ever seen a draft pick he didn't like?

Pick 2938...

'HAVE YOU EVER TAKEN A WALK ALONG THE RIVER IN HIS HOMETOWN? IT'S SPECIAL, GET EXCITED TORONTO'

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
http://www.hockeysfuture.com/prospects/morgan_rielly/

Morgan Rielly

Birthday:

1994-03-09

Position:

D

Shoots:

Left

Height:

6-0

Weight:

190 lbs.

Acquired:

1st round (5th overall), 2012

Talent Analysis

Rielly was the top offensive defenseman in the 2012 draft class, and one of the WHL’s top defensemen in 2013. His skating, passing, and puck skills are all top-notch, and he puts those skills to good use. Rielly has the look of a future power-play quarterback and puck-rushing defenseman. He'll need to work on his defensive game, but that isn't likely to keep him from making an arrival in the NHL sooner rather than later.

Future

Rielly is likely headed back to junior for the 2013-14 season since he is ineligible to play in the AHL. However, a strong NHL training camp could see him snag a spot on the parent club

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=434227

What are the chances Morgan Rielly stays with the Toronto Maple Leafs instead of being returned to Junior?

Dreger: 80 per cent chance that Toronto Maple Leafs defenceman Morgan Rielly sticks in the National Hockey League this year. He has to play better this week than he did on the weekend against the Edmonton Oilers. If he does, he'll seal the deal.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Cor: Morgan Rielly will stay in the NHL.

I, along with several others on here has been saying this since the pre-season

leafsfuture

Mar 30, 2008
Sending a player down because you don't want to burn one of their ECL years is seriously so bush-league.

Didn't expect we would.

This is one of the things I respect about new Leafs management (meaning Burke/Nonis era). If the kid deserves to stay, he will. Contract status wont play a roll in that

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
The only reason I would think that a team would worry about burning a year of an ELC contract is if the player is not going to playing regularly. For example, it won't make sense to carry Rielly as the 7th d-man.

dballislife2

Jul 7, 2011
rielly has been very good ya but where are the panel keep getting the idea that gardiner has been playing bad, hes also been playing good

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
The only reason I would think that a team would worry about burning a year of an ELC contract is if the player is not going to playing regularly. For example, it won't make sense to carry Rielly as the 7th d-man.

I don't think the Leafs are that stupid though.

Grigorenko was handled very badly with the Sabres because I think there was a threat of the KHL. They gave him ~25 games before they realized that he wasn't ready...burned a year of his ELC and he's still not ready to be in the NHL.

Rielly looks like he can handle 20-22 minutes. He's getting next to no PP time and plays all of his minutes on ES. That's the kind of player that can play 60-65 games this season...and that is well worth burning off the ELC.

Ari91

Nov 24, 2010
Toronto
With the way he's playing, he doesn't deserve to go back. It'll come down to how Carlyle plans to use him. Is he good enough to be a regular or alternate often as a 7th D? Because if Carlyle doesn't plan on using him in that capacity where he's getting a decent amount of NHL games to play then he'll probably get sent down.

By the way, if Rielly ends up staying with the Leafs and they allow him to play World Juniors, does his cap hit still stay with the Leafs while he's off playing for the tournament? I'm assuming it would but just thought I'd ask to be sure.

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
Yup, came to post this.

Kind of funny to have him list all the goalies Montreal had around at the time. Just never know how things will unfold years after a draft. And here I thought Pierre actually did love every pick without exception. Must have been really surprised by that one.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Kind of funny to have him list all the goalies Montreal had around at the time. Just never know how things will unfold years after a draft. And here I thought Pierre actually did love every pick without exception. Must have been really surprised by that one.

That draft was funny.

Carey Price interviewed before the draft said he would love to be drafted by the Leafs :laugh:

Havoc

Jul 25, 2009
People love to scrutinize Gardiner for whatever reason.

Gardiner is the kind of player that always stands out, regardless of what he's doing. It's hard not to scrutinize him whether in a positive or negative way.

His style of play also correlates to his mistakes being more costly I suppose.

Kingstonian84*

Sep 23, 2012
No knock against Rielly the kid's been amazing but how the hell do the Leafs expect to keep him here while being thisclose to the top of the cap without going over? I could be wrong but isn't his ELC $975,000? Anyways they're going to have to make a trade to make room for him, with only 4 games to go its going be really tough to accomplish that.

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010
Phaneuf Franson
Gardiner Ranger
Rielly Fraser/Gunnar

Carlyle pls

Gunnar goes from dependable minute-eater to permi-scratch?

Need to spread out the talent which is why I don't think we'll see Phaneuf and Franson together on a regular basis. Need someone with better skating ability with Dion too. I could see Rielly there down the road.

Not surprised at all about Rielly. Kypr is just stating his opinion in the end which doesn't add a whole lot to the discussion imo.

palmateer67

Feb 6, 2010
New York City
four.jpg

It doesn't get any better than this.

Semantics

PUBLIC ENEMY #1
Jan 3, 2007
San Francisco
One small thing we need to get straight: there's no way in hell Rielly is going to play at the WJC. He's an important member of the team, looking like one of the top 4 d-men, and no team is going to voluntarily remove one of their regulars for two weeks. Only if he were bouncing in and out of the lineup as a 7th d-man would they consider it.

And while I'm sure Rielly would enjoy the experience, winning a gold medal (maybe) against inferior competition than he now plays against in the NHL won't do anything for his development, so sending him to the WJC is of absolutely no benefit the Leafs whatsoever.

After he wins a gold for Canada at the Olympics, missing the WJC won't even be something he remembers. :)

leafer88*

If rielly stays up, I think if we look to trade a d-man, we trade either 1) Gunnarsson for picks and prospects. Even though the leafs are trying to get roster players now, out top 3 lines when healthy are pretty set so there is no space. It would be hard to get someone better than our current wingers with just Gunnarson anyways. OR 2) Gardiner plus picks and prospects for a guy like ROR or a young centre who would look much better playing with JVR and Kessel.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad