Player Discussion Nick Holden - 1yr $1.3m extension

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
I'm starting to think Zub is a bit overrated. He was phenomenal to start the season (playing with Chabot), but he's come back down to earth a bit lately. Even 5M is an overpay. I'd consider ~$4M.

Likely comparables:

Adam Pelech - signed at 25 years old, 8 x $5.75M.
Esa Lindell - signed at 25 years old, 6 x $5.8M.
Neal Pionk - signed at 25 years old, 4 x $5.875M.
Dmitry Orlov - signed at 25 years old, 6 x $5.1M.
Brady Skjei - signed at 24 years old, 6 x $5.25M.

You could argue that some of those players are better than Zub, while others are worse, but the contract negotiation should be pretty straightforward IMO. 4-5 years at between $5-5.5M per season.

Reactions: Cosmix

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
I doubt it.

Brannstrom is coming into his own, and DJ seems to be getting more and more confident in putting him on the ice, even on the right side. As the season progresses, I'd expect him to get more reps at RD.

Next year, we're likely looking at:

Chabot - Zaitsev
Sanderson - Zub
Holden - Brannstrom

Extra: J.Brown or a similar cheap free-agent.

The team will probably let Mete walk, and do what they can to offload Del Zotto.

I don't think either JBD or Thomson are ready for full-time reps, but both will probably see 15-25 games due to injuries. If one does cement himself over the course of the season, we'll look to trade Zaitsev ahead of 23/24. At the end of next season, he'll have 1 year left on his deal and with a little bit of retention ($500k-$1M), he'll be moveable.

The Sens probably expect Thomson or JBD will be ready for a bottom pairing role next year. They will both be 22 at the start of next season and have had lots of seasoning by that point.

I also expect Brown to be re-signed. DJ loves the guy and he does fill a bit of a need on a pretty small D overall. Would act as some insurance in case the young guys don't develop as expected.

I hope you're right. I'd like to keep Brannstrom long-term but with over a year of rumours about him being available, I think he'll be the asset Dorion puts on the table to acquire a legitimate top 6 forward.

Reactions: aragorn

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
The Sens probably expect Thomson or JBD will be ready for a bottom pairing role next year. They will both be 22 at the start of next season and have had lots of seasoning by that point.

I also expect Brown to be re-signed. DJ loves the guy and he does fill a bit of a need on a pretty small D overall. Would act as some insurance in case the young guys don't develop as expected.

I hope you're right. I'd like to keep Brannstrom long-term but with over a year of rumours about him being available, I think he'll be the asset Dorion puts on the table to acquire a legitimate top 6 forward.

Thomson has played in just 50 AHL games so far.
JBD in 18.

I wouldn't consider that close to lots of seasoning. Another year in the AHL with call-ups is what we should expect. Both guys have been okay when they've played this season, but they've done nothing to suggest that they would be pencilled into the NHL roster next year, let alone good enough that we'd trade someone to make room for them.

Brannstrom is in a weird spot. He's not good enough to get you a top 6 forward back in a trade (I'd compare him to Jake Bean, who was traded for a 2nd rounder), but he still has enough potential that you don't want to trade him for a draft pick.

Our best bet is to play him and hopefully increase his value. Then we can either keep him as part of the core moving forward, or trade him for a good return.

Reactions: DrEasy and Cosmix

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Agreed. Looks like a diff beast out there. Legit top 4 capable and more. Unless we trade him for great value(Tuch type player or better) it's definitely in our best interest to keep him. Guy was brilliant last few games; real difference maker.
Ideally we assess where we are on the back end after next season and make the necessary moves then. Is Zub still around, how have Sanderson/Brann/JBD/Thomson progressed ….

BUCKLE UP

MVPTP
Nov 30, 2009
Ottawa
I miss Daddy, but now him staying an extra year makes up for it. Holden has been a pleasant surprise and I hope he sticks around a while longer.

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
Have to think this is the nail in the coffin for Brannstrom remaining a Senator long-term.

Chabot - Zaitsev
Sanderson - Zub
Holden - Thomson/JBD
MDZ? Mete? Brown?

Not a lot of room there.

Bet he gets traded for forward help.

Why would they keep Zaitsev and get rid of Brannstrom, who is already better and has tons of upside?

Chabot - Zub
Sanderson - Brannstrom
Holden - JBD/Thomson

Hey look, no more scrubs! See how easy that was?

Still makes me laugh how people who have watched Branny come into his own the last month continue to want to trade him. Obviously it's a size bias thing and the kid can do no right unless he grows 5 inches.

Reactions: NB613 and Cosmix

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Why would they keep Zaitsev and get rid of Brannstrom, who is already better and has tons of upside?

Chabot - Zub
Sanderson - Brannstrom
Holden - JBD/Thomson

Still makes me laugh how people who have watched Branny come into his own the last month continue to want to trade him. Obviously it's a size bias thing and the kid can do no right unless he grows 5 inches.
How did you get rid of Zaitsev in your scenario.

EDIT: I’m honestly asking because I can’t find a realistic scenario to get rid of him and I would love to have hope that it’s possible.

Last edited:

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008

Chabot - Zub
Sanderson - Brannstrom
Holden - JBD/Thomson

I don't want to trade him. I think Sens management may trade him.

Sens staff doesn't think Zaitsev is a scrub. They think he's a capable D. Even if they wanted to move him, that contract isn't easily moveable and we're likely stuck with it .

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
How did you get rid of Zaitsev in your scenario.

EDIT: I’m honestly asking because I can’t find a realistic scenario to get rid of him and I would love to have hope that it’s possible.

He's got two years left at $4.5M, it would be pretty easy to trade that contract imo, especially if we eat just 1-1.5M of that money.

Deku

I'm off the planet
Nov 5, 2011
Ottawa
I'm very late to this but very glad to see this. I was skeptical about Holden at first but he has been very steady and you pretty much can't go wrong at such a cheap price

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
He's got two years left at $4.5M, it would be pretty easy to trade that contract imo, especially if we eat just 1-1.5M of that money.
I just have a hard time seeing anyone wanting him fore than depth. It’s a tough pill to swallow even 3M per for 2 years for at best a bottom pairing guy.

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
Good signing.

For the most part, I've been pretty happy with the bargain-bin castaways we've taken on this season (Gambrell, Gaudette, Holden, Sanford)

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
No one is taking that contract unless the sens add something substantial. He's bad. Maybe the sens can add a 3rd and take back a depth forward on a bad contract with less term.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
So the best players don't play? I can't say i agree
In a perfect world contracts don’t matter but we all know it’s a reality for every team in every pro sport.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
In a perfect world contracts don’t matter but we all know it’s a reality for every team in every pro sport.
Players get bought out all the time, high paid players get cut. Zaitsev plays ahead of Holden then there is a big issue with the coaching staff.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
I'm starting to think Zub is a bit overrated. He was phenomenal to start the season (playing with Chabot), but he's come back down to earth a bit lately. Even 5M is an overpay. I'd consider ~$4M.
You just want to argue eh, or you have no idea what you are watching.

Insane how people cant tell how good and reliable Zub Holden have been. Since they were put together they are 9-5-2. They gave the team a legitimate second pair that play against the other teams best players. Hockey illiterate.

Zub has 4 goals 11 points no pp time. Is + 5 on a team with a negative goal differential of -22 he gets 65+ percent o zone starts. But he is overrated.... Unbelievable.

Last edited:

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Players get bought out all the time, high paid players get cut. Zaitsev plays ahead of Holden then there is a big issue with the coaching staff.
The 4M of signing bonuses in the last 2 years makes a buyout less than appealing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad