Player Discussion Nick Holden - 1yr $1.3m extension

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018

OTTAWA - The Ottawa Senators (@Senators) announced today that the team has signed defenceman Nick Holdento a one-year contract extension. The contract has a value of $1.3M for the 2022-23 season.

Outstanding deal.

Holden has averaged 19:22m per game with Ottawa, which is his highest total since 2016-2017.

He doesn't bring much of an offensive presence, but has done an excellent job almost every night despite facing tough competition and starting a whopping 72.2% (!!!) of his shifts in the D-Zone.

Of late (past half month), he has formed a stabilizing 2nd pairing with Zub, where he has done an admirable job lining up against Ovechkin, Malkin, Crosby, McDavid, Draisaitl, Gaudreau, Tkachuk, etc, holding them almost entirely off the score-sheet at 5-on-5 and coming out ahead on the +/- ledger.

Excellent news for Ottawa today. Holden will almost certainly be a 3rd pairing player for us by the end of his contract, and might even fall lower, but his on-ice and off-ice presence are absolutely instrumental for this young, growing team.

Last edited:

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
Great value deal - Nick Holden has been solid for the Sens and seems to have a great veteran presence in the locker room videos.

Yup, agreed. I was wary of going 2yrs, but happily would have gone 2yrs at $1.3m. Honestly, I would have given him $4m for 1yr without blinking!

It's hard to remember a veteran addition with a better combination of on-ice and off-ice presence, even going back to the days when we were a powerhouse. What a fantastic addition he's been. Having him locked up for peanuts next year provides a lot of stability and assurance moving forward.

Reactions: starling and armani

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
This guy just gives off the gentle giant vibes. Big time fox hole guy.

they could of gotten a 3rd but this deal to me is exactly what you want for this young D. He’s the guy you’ve been looking for for 3 years and he’s here now. Perfect fit

Chabot - Zub
Sanderson - Zaitsev
Holden - Brannstrom
JBD - Thomson

great depth on this D starting next year

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
To think you also have a 3rd in this years draft and you traded Dadonov (has 10 goals and 22 points so not doing to bad in Vegas) and Holden’s a perfect fit for this team.

Great cap dump while adding a solid solid vet.

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus
Yup, agreed. I was wary of going 2yrs, but happily would have gone 2yrs at $1.3m. Honestly, I would have given him $4m for 1yr without blinking!

It's hard to remember a veteran addition with a better combination of on-ice and off-ice presence, even going back to the days when we were a powerhouse. What a fantastic addition he's been. Having him locked up for peanuts next year provides a lot of stability and assurance moving forward.

Next up...Zuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuub!

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
Next up...Zuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuub!

6yrs x 6.5m the day he's eligible!

I wonder if they extend Watty July 1st, too. He has played his role well and I think he is a really important guy to have in the room.

This guy just gives off the gentle giant vibes. Big time fox hole guy.

they could of gotten a 3rd but this deal to me is exactly what you want for this young D. He’s the guy you’ve been looking for for 3 years and he’s here now. Perfect fit

Chabot - Zub
Sanderson - Zaitsev
Holden - Brannstrom
JBD - Thomson

great depth on this D starting next year

I know I will be minority here but I am not at all against bringing back J. Brown.

He should be very cheap, there's a level of comfort with him and DJ (I know, I know), and although he should never play in a healthy lineup, a healthy lineup all the time is a pipe-dream. JBD and Thomson are probably ready, but they don't require waivers and I am happy to continue to mix depth roles in the NHL with leading roles in the A. Obviously I would welcome a better 7th DMan than Brown but finding that guy is easier said than done.

TkachukMyAho

Apr 13, 2007
I think we've reached a turning point where we are no longer considered undesirable. It really seems like he took less to stay.

It's early, but encouraging.

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
I think we've reached a turning point where we are no longer considered undesirable. It really seems like he took less to stay.

It's early, but encouraging.

It won't be appealing to everyone, but Holden really seems like the type to embrace a leadership role amongst a young, tight knit, all-around good-natured group.

I bet Stu giving Watty the helmet after last game chopped about 700k off of his asking price ;)

Reactions: TkachukMyAho

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad