News Article: Nick Fotiu destroys Rangers game 7 effort

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
"I would hear people say, 'At least he's playing defensive hockey.' No one cares about that," said Fotiu. "Back-checking my (butt). Score some goals.

What a moron. Why should I take this meat-head seriously?

Xref

Oct 16, 2010
Why would anyone take anyone on this board truly seriously?

Fair enough. But we don't dismiss everyone's opinions because "they haven't won a Cup". That's just silly. Should we dismiss everything that AV, or Hank says?

NikC

Oct 7, 2008
Regardless as to how your feel about Fotiu, the point is he saw that the Rangers played with no heart or fire in game 7, SC berth match.

Why kill the messenger?

As hard as it is, people could accept a loss in a game like this, but after a 7-3 blowout? Getting shutout 6 periods on home ice?

This is an embarrassment to the organization. Their effort was as cowardly an effort as i've seen in over 20 yrs of watching hockey.

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl
He had some good points. IDK about the Kreider or Nash musings.

The hungrier team won game 7. Maybe the Rangers read a little too much about themselves and their game 7 prowess and/or answered a few too many game 7 questions.

It's certainly clear who the better team was on Friday night.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
Exactly!! First team in NHL history to get shut out at home in both Games 5 and 7. Heartless, gutless effort. TB is good but not that good.

They are that good. Take off the ****ing Ranger glasses already.

NikC

Oct 7, 2008
They are that good. Take off the ****ing Ranger glasses already.

You didn't see the Rangers do anything to win game 7.

Rangers played like they threw the game.

6 periods getting shut out at home? Coming off a 7-3 blowout?

KOVALEV022473

Feb 24, 2014
Tomkins Cove, NY
You didn't see the Rangers do anything to win game 7.

Rangers played like they threw the game.

6 periods getting shut out at home? Coming off a 7-3 blowout?
I don't get the Rangers glasses comments from some?! Obviously, they disagree with our assessment of how the Rangers played in games 5 and 7, and game 6 was the aberration. I assume, by their snide remarks, they feel the home teams play was, at the very least, acceptable and the better team won.

NikC

Oct 7, 2008
I don't get the Rangers glasses comments from some?! Obviously, they disagree with our assessment of how the Rangers played in games 5 and 7, and game 6 was the aberration. I assume, by their snide remarks, they feel the home teams play was, at the very least, acceptable and the better team won.

this is a coping mechanism some fans feel the need to use in sports.

Im not saying the lighting weren't really good or that the Rangers were a lock to win, but the night before on the road, the Rangers looked like they knew what to do to score on Bishop. They pressured their defense, went to the net for rebounds and caused havoc in front of Bishop.

They didn't even pretend to do the above. The Rangers wanted no part of getting involved in winning game 7 with any effort.

Everyone knows how hard it is to get yourself in this position, especially after coming back from a 3-1 deficit against the Caps.

They essentially threw it away.

Some of these guys need to go. There are far too many easy going players on this roster.

Megustaelhockey

"I like hockey" in Spanish
Apr 29, 2011

The better team DID win in my opinion, but we made it a lot easier for them with the play in games 2, 5, and 7.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
this is a coping mechanism some fans feel the need to use in sports.

Actually, no. The coping mechanism is the idea that the Rangers are the only reason they didn't win anything, and that they should be totally lambasted for their "poor effort, no heart, no grit" or whatever other fluff is on tap; while simultaneously ignoring the fact that the Lightning are just one of the best teams in the NHL, and a loss in game 7 of the ECF wasn't shameful, just losing to a better team. That's the real coping mechanism.

KOVALEV022473

Feb 24, 2014
Tomkins Cove, NY
Actually, no. The coping mechanism is the idea that the Rangers are the only reason they didn't win anything, and that they should be totally lambasted for their "poor effort, no heart, no grit" or whatever other fluff is on tap; while simultaneously ignoring the fact that the Lightning are just one of the best teams in the NHL, and a loss in game 7 of the ECF wasn't shameful, just losing to a better team. That's the real coping mechanism.

The same point can be argued both ways. However, I disagree that TB was the better team! We lit them up as much as they lit us up. The only difference was our efforts in the games we lost. So, as you can tell from my post, I would argue, the Rangers are the reason the Rangers lost.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Good to see an ex-Ranger who didn't win a Cup criticize the current squad for not getting there.

Well there goes the input of 90 percent of coaches in every sport.

I'll echo what's been said elsewhere in this threat.

It's not that they lost, it's how they lost. It's how they looked far too often in these playoffs.

This is a team that pulled a Carlos Beltran - they ended their season by staring at a called strike three.

ReggieDunlop68

hey hanrahan!
Oct 4, 2008
It’s a rebuild.
Yea and, according to Fotiu, giving Nash a black eye and playing James Sheppard would've been the difference. Brilliant analysis.

I read the article. I didn't see this quote.

Do you think he was refering to star players that can score and play hard to the net, or did he mean we should ice a team full of third and fourth like players?

NikC

Oct 7, 2008

OK what you say is spot on... what others say is fluff...

Got it.

Miamipuck

Al Swearengen
Dec 29, 2009
Take a Wild Guess
I am sorry the no heart thing is some of the biggest bunch of ******** heaped upon this team I have ever seen. Just two weeks ago everyone was lauding the heart of this team, now all of a sudden they're heartless gutless pieces of crap. Which is it?

How would Tampa have fared if Stamkos has a broken foot and couldn't skate, and one of Killorn/Kutcherov/Palat was out the entire series, then Coburn or Stralman had a broken ankle? Probably not too well. That's what separates teams at playoff times.

Yeah but they had no heart, also you notice that the shutouts came after a big loss, maybe Tampa adjusted and was coached very well? Nah it was lack of heart on a team that had made the conference finals 3 of the last 4 years.

Whiplash27

Quattro!!
Jan 25, 2007
Westchester, NY
Fotiu also coached for a while as well. He was a head coach in the ECHL for 5 years and an assistant in the AHL (including HFD) for 7 years. He doesn't have the greatest coaching resume, but to say he's a clueless meat head is just ridiculous.

Either way, the Rangers backed away from everything that gave them success in this series in Game 7. In Games 4 and 6 they played a fast and physical game. Even Rick Nash was driving to the net. In games 5 and 7 they decided to do the exact opposite of those things. Everything Fotiu said was right. The Rangers played like a bunch of pansies at home and they paid the price.

Jun 25, 2013
www.tannerglassisthebest.com
I am sorry the no heart thing is some of the biggest bunch of ******** heaped upon this team I have ever seen. Just two weeks ago everyone was lauding the heart of this team, now all of a sudden they're heartless gutless pieces of crap. Which is it?

How would Tampa have fared if Stamkos has a broken foot and couldn't skate, and one of Killorn/Kutcherov/Palat was out the entire series, then Coburn or Stralman had a broken ankle? Probably not too well. That's what separates teams at playoff times.

Yeah but they had no heart, also you notice that the shutouts came after a big loss, maybe Tampa adjusted and was coached very well? Nah it was lack of heart on a team that had made the conference finals 3 of the last 4 years.
People are upset because of game 7. They looked like a team with no energy not a team being beat by a better team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad