Confirmed with Link: Nick Foligno (One year $4 million extension)

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Sure. He should hopefully be solid for us and at half retained would be attractive deadline flip option if he has a good year. No problem.

Not having to worry about the cap is nice.

Callidusblackhawk

Feb 15, 2012
Downers Grove, Illinois
he probably deserves term given what the usual ufa classes receive, he's a good player, nothing crazy but 3-5 years would be completely standard, not that the hawks should do it
3 years wouldnt really be a problem at all. Hell even 5 years wouldn't be terrible so long as the cap hit is reasonable. The Hawks still only have one contract longer than 3 years on the books right now.

That being said, 3 years would be my limit on Domi.

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
3 years wouldnt really be a problem at all. Hell even 5 years wouldn't be terrible so long as the cap hit is reasonable. The Hawks still only have one contract longer than 3 years on the books right now.

That being said, 3 years would be my limit on Domi.
Yeah I agree, right now I'd rather overpay all UFAs by a lot on 1-2 year deals than take on term just to have that flexibility in case some elite players like Matthews/Drai hit the market when this team is closer to winning, also too many of these solid but not great players will start to work against the tank, really just want to fill out Bedard's line then get to the cap floor, hope for another successful tank year

Kurashev will be 24 a week into the season. He's basically the forward version of Ian Mitchell at this point. He has shown nothing. It would not shock me if he's moved in a deal or not qualified.
that's kind of being disrespectful to Kurashev tbh, Mitchell showed absolutely nothing here, Kurashev has shown plenty of flashes that he can be a solid 3rd line guy, obviously time is ticking but they shouldn't let him walk for nothing given cap space isn't an issue if he decides to go to arbitration

belfour30

Connor Bedard Fangirl
Dec 14, 2019
Does anyone else at least wonder if these bloated contracts will hurt Davidson in negotiations when the cap actually does matter?

I mean we all know what he's doing, but you have to at least wonder in that respect.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Does anyone else at least wonder if these bloated contracts will hurt Davidson in negotiations when the cap actually does matter?

I mean we all know what he's doing, but you have to at least wonder in that respect.
No, they'll either want to play for the Hawks or they don't. Right now, he needs to overpay because everyone knows the Hawks aren't making the playoffs. So he needs to entice the players to come, that he wants. Eventually (hopefully), it will flip, and the players will want to come here for cheaper to play.

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013

plenty of outlier bad contracts have been signed in the nhl that haven't had that much of a long term impact on the market

Reactions: LordKOTL

giza

Jul 19, 2011
Kurashev should be more productive than he is....there's good speed & skating, a good shot when he shoots it.....for 1.5-2MM a year, I would take a chance for a 2 year.....the 3rd line looked really good with him on it last year.

Reactions: Auggie

Salvaged Ship

Oct 9, 2013
So what veteran players who still have game and options would sign for what was one of the worst teams in the league last year without an overpay? Let’s see, Boston is offering the same money as Chicago, which team should I choose? Duh….. If you stink and will stink this upcoming season more money is the only way to interest players with legitimate choices. I can’t believe many vets with options are going to sign fair market value deals just to play with an 18 year old.

Reactions: LordKOTL

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
1 year for $4mn for a great locker room presence. Done. We still have a ton of cap space left. So what if we paid a $1mn premium? It's only for 1 year. With a good season, we might be able to flip him at the deadline if we retain 50%.

Hall and Foligno are vet wingers with strong leadership qualities ... with 1/2 years left on their contract. It's exactly what we needed without giving up assets.

It's the perfect trade ... giving up pretty much nothing. Now Davidson has all the leverage during the draft. He's not forced to do anything by filling a lot of his needs for next season. Now all he needs to do is draft Bedard and wait until desperate teams to call.

Cold Steel on Ice

Feb 12, 2020
Don’t underestimate a chance to play with Bedard especially forwards.I would still make a stab at Barbashev.Young enough and has 2 rings now.Gritty and decent enough to play in our top 6.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
So what veteran players who still have game and options would sign for what was one of the worst teams in the league last year without an overpay? Let’s see, Boston is offering the same money as Chicago, which team should I choose? Duh….. If you stink and will stink this upcoming season more money is the only way to interest players with legitimate choices. I can’t believe many vets with options are going to sign fair market value deals just to play with an 18 year old.
We probably paid $1mn per for AA (2 years). Probably overpaid $1mn per for Foligno (1 year). Probably overpaid $1.5mn for Hall (2 years). With the cap space we have for the next 2 years, overpaying $6mn in that time frame isn't going to hurt us whatsoever ... especially when we didn't give up anything and all 3 are good locker room presence.

This is all good.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
We probably paid $1mn per for AA (2 years). Probably overpaid $1mn per for Foligno (1 year). Probably overpaid $1.5mn for Hall (2 years). With the cap space we have for the next 2 years, overpaying $6mn in that time frame isn't going to hurt us whatsoever ... especially when we didn't give up anything and all 3 are good locker room presence.

This is all good.

Hall was already signed to a contract, so we didn't overpay on him. And his contract is fine.

Reactions: Pertti

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
Hall was already signed to a contract, so we didn't overpay on him. And his contract is fine.
I was talking about relative to performance. I don't think Hall is a $6mn player anymore for 16 goals and 20 assists. In fact, he's hit 20 goals once in the last 5 years. AA even scored 20 goals last year albeit with a far weaker team ... but similar TOI.

That said, I still like the Hall trade ... but he is overpaid at $6mn.

Mrfenn92

Proud to be American
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2018
Chicago,Illinois
4DA98CAF-0B28-4F36-95D6-9118EAB86C7F.jpeg

clydesdale line

Connor BeJesus
Jan 10, 2012

Great interview with Foligno. I would not be surprised if either he stays after he retires in the organization in some capacity ala Kunitz or he coaches just like Richardson down the road. Both guys are very similar personalities.

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
Kunitz choose to come, stay, and work for Chicago because his wife is from Chicago. Maybe Folingo stays but he might have connections or roots to join another team when he retires

Reactions: d rake and Pez68

MicronMega

Jan 31, 2022
Toronto, NY
Both Foligno and Perry played with or for Luke. Great leaders. As much as I hope they can get flipped for assets, they are assets here with their leadership skills and experience. Greats adds!

Jimmy2Times

Oct 24, 2019
Foligno's been solid. I can see why Boston had the record they did with him included last year he played a big part.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad