Nick Foligno named captain

Nordique

Add smoked meat, and we have a deal.
Aug 11, 2005
Ohio
I will say that Foligno has got to stop trying to do everything himself. We're going to get out of this mess when the players learn to trust each other again.

nailed it imo. Not just Nick, but he does it more than most.

The Jones Zone

Nov 27, 2013
Raleigh, NC
"C"

"C"an't handle the duties

"C"an't encourage any other players

"C" This season sail away

If we had to have a "C" I voted for Dubi......easy to say now but they should have kept the system of only having "A"'s

This team has no true "C"

Forepar

Nov 6, 2011
South-Central Ohio
Nick the player will be fine at some point.

Nick the C - not so much. Shell-shocked, and unable to differentiate what is primarily his fault (his relatively invisible play) from what is not (poor play of remainder of team). He got blind-sided - first 7 games as C abominable, and with it being beginning of season, following hype of pre-season, I'm not sure anyone would know how to react. We all want arse-ripping, screaming, etc... Maybe that is what is needed, maybe not, but Nick appears just overwhelmed by the free-fall (they all do, to be fair).

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
I thought Dubie should have been the Captain. he always projected a tougher, more determined image to me. I like Nick a lot but he seemed to be picked because of ability to handle a visit to Children's Hospital not for how he could handle "the room" in a crisis. I just preferred Dubie's sneer to Nick's smile.

Forepar

Nov 6, 2011
South-Central Ohio
I thought Dubie should have been the Captain. he always projected a tougher, more determined image to me. I like Nick a lot but he seemed to be picked because of ability to handle a visit to Children's Hospital not for how he could handle "the room" in a crisis. I just preferred Dubie's sneer to Nick's smile.

My preference was Dubi as well.
However, the choice of Nick was for reasons well beyond CH visits. I could see Nick being more balanced than Dubi, and being a bit softer with the media, and maybe that would play better in the room over the long-haul. Didn't agree with the choice, but that's personal preference for C (of any team) with the most grit.

Forepar

Nov 6, 2011
South-Central Ohio
Maybe with Torts Foligno is the right choice - he will need to be the buffer between Torts and Joey, Saad and even Dubi. Dubi as C with Torts as coach could be apocalyptic.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Nick the player will be fine at some point.

Nick the C - not so much. Shell-shocked, and unable to differentiate what is primarily his fault (his relatively invisible play) from what is not (poor play of remainder of team). He got blind-sided - first 7 games as C abominable, and with it being beginning of season, following hype of pre-season, I'm not sure anyone would know how to react. We all want arse-ripping, screaming, etc... Maybe that is what is needed, maybe not, but Nick appears just overwhelmed by the free-fall (they all do, to be fair).

I don't even think Nick has been invisible. To me he looks like he's flying out there and trying to do it all. Putting himself out of position, tripping opponents, etc.. Anyone would be blindsided by this 7 games and he shouldn't expect himself to fix it all. And neither should we.

Maybe with Torts Foligno is the right choice - he will need to be the buffer between Torts and Joey, Saad and even Dubi. Dubi as C with Torts as coach could be apocalyptic.

Dubi is a great leader, but as much as I'd love the storyline of Torts and Dubi falling in love as coach and captain, I'm terrified it would end up in a sadistic mess for them and for the team.

Forepar

Nov 6, 2011
South-Central Ohio
I see Nick's results as invisible because he's trying to do too much.
You and I probably aren't seeing things that much differently, I wasn't implying lack of effort. But Nick is not getting the puck where he is effective (down low) because he's off trying to do all other things too (handle and shoot and play D and and and. His effectiveness last year was in no small part knowing exactly where to go when opponent's D focused on 19. Don't mean to quibble - and I like Nick, and as I posted somewhere earlier, anyone would be overwhelmed in C position with this start, let alone a first-time C of a team with lofty (if not yet earned) expectations.

We Want Ten

Make Chinakov Great Again
Apr 5, 2013
Columbus
Completely fair.
My thoughts:
1. I like the idea of growing a young guy with the team as Captain (Karlsson, Crosby, Landeskog, etc...).
2. Umby had a couple good years and people wanted him to be C then as well. Look where that went. What happens if Nick drops off? Not really much of a concern TBH, but still.
3. Dubi as C might temper some of his edge IMO.

At the end of the day though I can see why people feel the way they do.

Nailed it.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
I think with Torts in now, duby would have been the better captain. In any articles recently, I can't recall any Foligno comments, all Duby

What comments? Where? And what does any of that have to do with the qualities necessary to be captain?

hardkorejackets

Nov 6, 2013
Coldwater, OH
I think with Torts in now, duby would have been the better captain. In any articles recently, I can't recall any Foligno comments, all Duby

Whoever writes for the Jackets don't pick the team captain last I checked. Of course they will interview Dubinsky, he actually played for Torts and can give a good quote.

The Jones Zone

Nov 27, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Foligno on pace for 4 goals 4!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm giving him the next 3 games this week do to something to help this team win a damn game......or I predict the C is off his Jersey.

Probably go back to having only A's like last season

Foligno got his contract, but he's had 25 games to prove he deserves the C on his Jersey. The Jackets desperately need his production, maybe taking the C from him would either

1) take the pressure off him and he would produce more
2) be pissed off and score some damn goals
3) maybe a little of both
4) Jarmo and JD grossly overpaid him for one great season

I just don't see Torts sitting back and doing nothing

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Foligno on pace for 4 goals 4!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm giving him the next 3 games this week do to something to help this team win a damn game......or I predict the C is off his Jersey.

Probably go back to having only A's like last season

Foligno got his contract, but he's had 25 games to prove he deserves the C on his Jersey. The Jackets desperately need his production, maybe taking the C from him would either

1) take the pressure off him and he would produce more
2) be pissed off and score some damn goals
3) maybe a little of both
4) Jarmo and JD grossly overpaid him for one great season

I just don't see Torts sitting back and doing nothing

You have a major hard on for Foligno. Obviously he isn't having a great year but I don't think it has much, if anything, to do with him being named captain. And Torts isn't the guy who is going to make the decision, not that I think any decision will be made. Foligno wasn't named captain because he had 70+ points last year and he won't be stripped of it if he has 30 this year.

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
You have a major hard on for Foligno. Obviously he isn't having a great year but I don't think it has much, if anything, to do with him being named captain. And Torts isn't the guy who is going to make the decision, not that I think any decision will be made. Foligno wasn't named captain because he had 70+ points last year and he won't be stripped of it if he has 30 this year.

This .. definitely not seeming like its produce or lose the C for him.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
It's plausible that the C isn't helping Foligno's mindset. We have no idea. There's not really much we can say about it until they tell us something. His point production by itself doesn't really have much bearing on the question.

If Foligno and/or Torts think that the C is hurting his mindset, then sure, they'll take it away.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad