Nick Foligno named captain

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
I vote for "whomever the team decides."

To reiterate from the prior thread, as long as it comes from the "room" and not "upstairs" and as long as it's an acknowledgment of an already existing situation rather than an attempt to create a situation, then I'm good with it.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
I like Dubinski as a player, but he comes off a bit too cliched when he's ripping the team's performance. I suspect he would be tuned out by most players pretty quickly.

Foligno was my vote, but I'm good with whomever the team chooses using DSL's parameters.

NotWendell

Has also never won the lottery.
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
Dubinsky is my choice. Hartnell and Foligno for alternates. But I agree that the room should decide and not the front office.

1857 Howitzer

******* Linesman
Aug 27, 2007
Ohio
Going back to the thread I started I still have Dubinsky as my choice, but Foligno has closed the gap.

I do agree with DSL too that in the end whoever is named is fine with me as long as it's viewed was the best choice by they players.

alphafox

Jun 14, 2011
For me its down Foligno or Dubinsky. I think Foligno is probably the best combo of on ice performance and respected player. Dubi is the heart and soul of the team, but he might be best in a bad cop role.

The only thing that worries me is that if Dubi doesn't get the captaincy there could be some friction. If I remember right there were some reported problems in NYR room after he lost out to Callahan in the captaincy race. Hopefully the players get to nominate some candidates that way the room is on board with any final choice.

zmancartfan

Jan 21, 2011
Medina, OH
Comes down to Dubinski and Foligno to me. With the emphasis Jarmo had on the fact that someone has already stepped up to be the leader, I have to look at what's transpired over the last couple of months of the season. My nod goes to Foligno.

He was elected to the All-Star game and did a phenomenal job of marketing both the team and the city. He has also been involved with on-ice meetings with officials during penalty conferences more than anybody else I've seen over the past several games. Then there's the fan aspect that translates to ticket sales. "The hug" leaves you with a great feeling leading to the next game. And in talking with friends who have travelled with the team to away games, Nick was the guy in the stands before the game thanking the fans for making the trip and posing for pictures.

There's no doubt Dubinski has also shown the leadership that it takes - at least from a fan-watching-on-TV-out-of-the-locker room standpoint. Always being the last player off the ice says a lot, too.

But when I look at who the team has put in front of the public (and refs) the most, my vote is for Foligno.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
I vote for "Boon" Jenner...that guy has character :laugh:

A sneaky way for the poll maker to subliminally suggest Jenner as captain would be a...

wait for it...

boon to the team?

giphy.gif

Tulipunaruusu*

Apr 27, 2014
Would Dubinsky be the first Eskimo to captain a NHL team?

Farmhand Boone Jenner all the way. Others are too conscious and driven by their personal desire.

Kev22

Feb 19, 2003
Plain City, OH
Visit site
I've long been in the court of Dubinsky. He's the kind of fiery leader I'd love to see, and one thing I won't discount is that he's now a full time Columbus resident. But, I voted for Nick Foligno. After seeing him through the All-Star experience and how well liked he seems to be by both his teammates and the fans, I think he'd be a pretty good captain.

I'm not sure about Jenner, although looking at who was the captain (and still is) in St. Louis, I see some similarities between Boone and David Backes. He's tough, he hits and I don't think he'd be afraid to throw down if necessary.

I would have had Johansen as a pretty good possibility after the All-Star game because he's the face of the franchise, but I'm not sure he could handle the added pressure.

All that said, I'd be happy with either Foligno or Dubinsky as good representatives of this club.

CharlotteJacket

Apr 11, 2013
Charlotte, NC
Two years ago, I think Jack Johnson was a cinch. But now, it looks like Dubinski or Foligno with Jenner as a dark horse. Surprised no one has mentioned Johansen as a possibility.

Stretch Factor

Jun 26, 2007
I'd be fine with whomever "the room" picked, but I voted for Foligno. I feel like he oozes leadership on and off the ice. Seems like a rah rah guy when necessary, but wouldn't have a problem getting in someone's face. He's signed long term too.

Scott Hartnell would be my second choice. I feel like he bleeds blue and red. Seems like a quality veteran presence who leads vocally and by example. Not sure how many more years he's a great player, but could be a good bridge to the next guy.

I think Dubinsky is great for the team, but he's too much of a loose cannon for captain. Takes bad penalties and gets hurt a lot too. I love the sandpaper in his game, just not right for Captain in my opinion.

The only thing I know about Boone Jenner is what I've read about him. Seems like a good guy, but doesn't seem very vocal. I never would have guessed him for captain if we hadn't been reading captain in waiting for the last two years. I just haven't seen the leadership out of him. Maybe someday, but not now.

Tulipunaruusu*

Apr 27, 2014
The only thing I know about Boone Jenner is what I've read about him. Seems like a good guy, but doesn't seem very vocal. I never would have guessed him for captain if we hadn't been reading captain in waiting for the last two years. I just haven't seen the leadership out of him. Maybe someday, but not now.

How about Cord McNally if that is the case?

Socks

Stuff and Things Man
Nov 14, 2007
Stuff and Things
Okay I just don't get it. Understanding that we're not privy to what's happening in the room I just don't see the leadership just bursting out of Boone. And don't get me wrong, I'm a huge fan of his, but to me all this seems to have come out of Porty's ramblings and everyone has latched on. Now if he is the best choice, i.e. the guys/management decide to name him, then I'm cool with it and behind him 110%. But I just don't see it.

For the record my vote is Nicky.

1857 Howitzer

******* Linesman
Aug 27, 2007
Ohio
Okay I just don't get it. Understanding that we're not privy to what's happening in the room I just don't see the leadership just bursting out of Boone. And don't get me wrong, I'm a huge fan of his, but to me all this seems to have come out of Porty's ramblings and everyone has latched on. Now if he is the best choice, i.e. the guys/management decide to name him, then I'm cool with it and behind him 110%. But I just don't see it.

Well said.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad