Former Bruins Nick Foligno II

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
I mean this is absolutely spot on. Tampa was in cap h*ll last off-season to boot. To make matters worse, they even got Bellemare on a million dollar deal who has formed a great 4th line with Perry and Maroon.

Foligno makes more than all three. The signing was/is atrocious

I always thought the Loui Eriksson trade was evidence the Bruins FO didn’t consider objective value enough and just targeted players without giving enough consideration as to whether the deal/signing actually lines up to a realistic value. Like Loui was a very good two player, but you traded a budding offensive star (at a time of his lowest possible value on the market after a bad playoffs) for a second, Loui, and a guy who they just ended up trading within a couple years. However you feel about Tyler Seguin, is that really a good value trade? I get he was starting a new contract, but it was hardly an albatross.

I think you can wonder if a similar thing happened with Foligno. They wanted a leader/veteran for the lower lines. A “good in the room” guy that had offensive capabilities (at least historically). Instead of being patient and scoping out which available players would fit this description AND be able to accept good value contracts, they zeroed in specifically on Foligno and paid a very high price.

I’m sure part of the thought was “two years isn’t a big risk”. But the money is significant and he was given protections. Above all, how do you seriously go as far as offering any sort of trade/movement protection? They cut a deal on a player who is clearly in decline where the team took 100% of the risk. Just undisciplined.

Reactions: TheReal13Linseman

ChargersRookie

Jun 30, 2014
Wow, we now like Corey Perry. I haven't yet.
Blame Bergeron for getting him to sign here.
I wasn't expecting Foligno to score 20 goals, I wasn't expecting him to get injured either.
He signed for leadership for me but at the same time he wasn't coming to run the room. He came and took his place while trying to get on track.

BruinsNetwork

Jan 8, 2021
Some of your generalities are super questionable.

90% of the board was definitely not jumping for joy over signing Nick Foligno. There was immediately debate as to whether or not this would be an easily regrettable contract.

I certainly wanted to give him the chance, but like most people, I was never jumping for joy.
The deal is only regrettable if it’s A. hard to get out of and B. you paid for it. It’s not my money and I couldn’t care less so long as guys aren’t being let go to accommodate his cap hit. To this point, that hasn’t been the case, IMO.

This is the same player, by the way, that Patrice Bergeron wanted to sign here and be apart of his team. He actively recruited him into signing here. I know a lot of people don’t value intangibles because they don’t show up on the excel sheets, but there’s clearly an impact in the locker room and on the guys in it with Foligno there.

Y’all can continue with f*ck Sweeney that and fire Sweeney this, but like, Bergeron was also a significant factor in Foligno being here so idk what to tell you.

And If I were GM I would just bite the bullet and buy him out in the off-season. I’d try and fill that role in free agency with someone who’s more capable in a bottom-six role until Beecher arrives in Boston. When will that be? Judging by what I saw from him in Providence and their playoffs? I think that could be sooner than later.

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
The deal is only regrettable if it’s A. hard to get out of and B. you paid for it. It’s not my money and I couldn’t care less so long as guys aren’t being let go to accommodate his cap hit. To this point, that hasn’t been the case, IMO.

This is the same player, by the way, that Patrice Bergeron wanted to sign here and be apart of his team. He actively recruited him into signing here. I know a lot of people don’t value intangibles because they don’t show up on the excel sheets, but there’s clearly an impact in the locker room and on the guys in it with Foligno there.

Y’all can continue with f*ck Sweeney that and fire Sweeney this, but like, Bergeron was also a significant factor in Foligno being here so idk what to tell you.

And If I were GM I would just bite the bullet and buy him out in the off-season. I’d try and fill that role in free agency with someone who’s more capable in a bottom-six role until Beecher arrives in Boston. When will that be? Judging by what I saw from him in Providence and their playoffs? I think that could be sooner than later.

I don’t like the “it’s not your money” argument.

The reason people care about the money is because they have a hard cap. Even if you’re not up against the cap at a given time, taking up 3.8 AAV will affect moves by the front office.

Wow, we now like Corey Perry. I haven't yet.
Blame Bergeron for getting him to sign here.
I wasn't expecting Foligno to score 20 goals, I wasn't expecting him to get injured either.
He signed for leadership for me but at the same time he wasn't coming to run the room. He came and took his place while trying to get on track.

What has Perry really ever done that’s so bad?

I get he’s a pest, but what has he done that would turn someone away from considering signing him? You can’t argue with how effective of a player he has been throughout his career.

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
You might want to go re-read the last off season thread or whatever thread it was when they signed foligno. The only knock was the $3.8m but the masses loved the player

If you subtract the money aspect, it wasn’t the worst idea. It was really only last season where his effectiveness really started to drop. It wasn’t beyond the realm of possibility that he could bounce back.

The issue is the money and contract was super risky. So the sentiment makes sense to me.

Budddy

Dec 9, 2008
Okanagan
I believe the feeling from this board and other forums that the signing was awful...so what did most see here that Sweeney didn't??

The National

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2017
Los Angeles

Well also C. If the contract stops you from using that room for better players when that player isn’t living up to his contract. Which is the case.

Reactions: JCRO and BBruins

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
I believe the feeling from this board and other forums that the signing was awful...so what did most see here that Sweeney didn't??

Certainly a fair question.

That being said, somewhat important to acknowledge that you can take this the other way too. Felt like the majority of the board was disgusted by the Forbort signing (I would say I was certainly skeptical) but he turned out to be a very steady player IMO and had a great 7 game series. As good a stay at home guy can really have.

Last edited:

Absurdity

light switch connoisseur
Jul 6, 2012
Him on the Leafs in the playoffs a year ago. Maybe a different coach will get more out of him.

Reactions: Budddy

Budddy

Dec 9, 2008
Okanagan

That being said, somewhat important to acknowledge that you can take this the other way too. Felt like the majority of the board was disgusted by the Forbort signing (I would say I was certainly skeptical) but he turned out to be a very steady player IMO and had a great 7 game series. As good as a stay at home guy can really have.
i didnt know much about Forbort so i didnt have a viewpoint to be honest...turned out ok

Reactions: CharasLazyWrister

JCRO

At least I'm safe inside my mind
Sponsor
Mar 8, 2011
He’s gone.

Somehow gets traded to a team that needs to reach cap floor. Or, most likely, gets bought out.

Per Ty Anderson on his podcast, of 333 skaters who played more than 750 minutes this season including PP and PK. All of it.

He ranked 333rd in goals.

You can get more than that from these young guys.

Reactions: bbfan419

Yeti34

Apr 13, 2013
Tampa
He’s gone.

Somehow gets traded to a team that needs to reach cap floor. Or, most likely, gets bought out.

Per Ty Anderson on his podcast, of 333 skaters who played more than 750 minutes this season including PP and PK. All of it.

He ranked 333rd in goals.

You can get more than that from these young guys.
Why wasn’t Blidh given more of a chance? He hit harder and scored more.

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com

That being said, somewhat important to acknowledge that you can take this the other way too. Felt like the majority of the board was disgusted by the Forbort signing (I would say I was certainly skeptical) but he turned out to be a very steady player IMO and had a great 7 game series. As good a stay at home guy can really have.

I feel like I'm taking crazy pills when it comes to Forbort's season. Including his post-season where he had some plays in the defensive zone that were absolutely atrocious and led directly to goals. He's judged on the softest curve I've ever seen for a Bruins player on this forum. He blocks shots well and that is probably part of it.

He was not the total disaster I expected. But he played like a #6 all year (not his fault they forced him into a higher slot at multiple points during the year) and nothing more. Exactly the type of guy you don't sign for multiple years, let alone three million per.

Since this is the Foligno thread, I will at least say Forbort gave the team better bang for his bucks than Foligno did for his. But that's literally the softest curve I can imagine.

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
Why wasn’t Blidh given more of a chance? He hit harder and scored more.

Because Boston was routinely being outplayed when Blidh was on the ice:

1652709010917.png

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
I feel like I'm taking crazy pills when it comes to Forbort's season. Including his post-season where he had some plays in the defensive zone that were absolutely atrocious and led directly to goals. He's judged on the softest curve I've ever seen for a Bruins player on this forum. He blocks shots well and that is probably part of it.

He was not the total disaster I expected. But he played like a #6 all year (not his fault they forced him into a higher slot at multiple points during the year) and nothing more. Exactly the type of guy you don't sign for multiple years, let alone three million per.

Since this is the Foligno thread, I will at least say Forbort gave the team better bang for his bucks than Foligno did for his. But that's literally the softest curve I can imagine.

I‘ll outright admit that I don’t pay much attention to deeper statistics. So I wouldn‘t be at all surprised if those maybe don’t paint as rosy of a picture as I‘m describing.

I also think I’m just thinking about my overall level of satisfaction with what I expected out of the player. Do I “like” the contract? Not particularly. Do I think Forbort performed admirably in the role he was assigned? Yes. I don’t want to go too far into cliches, but it’s hard for me to believe he eats as many minutes as he does, and I rarely ever notice him on the ice. As a stay at home guy, he‘s not really helpful at all with what I think is overall the biggest issue with the defensive system (not challenging players nearly enough past the hash marks and especially out at the points), but I like how he controls his space down low.

I think my expectations for him were maybe in a different spot (again, I was looking at the role he was playing rather than the contract) than some other posters.

Reactions: EverettMike

bb74

Thanks for Everything Bill
Sep 24, 2003
Cuttyhunk
I always thought the Loui Eriksson trade was evidence the Bruins FO didn’t consider objective value enough and just targeted players without giving enough consideration as to whether the deal/signing actually lines up to a realistic value. Like Loui was a very good two player, but you traded a budding offensive star (at a time of his lowest possible value on the market after a bad playoffs) for a second, Loui, and a guy who they just ended up trading within a couple years. However you feel about Tyler Seguin, is that really a good value trade? I get he was starting a new contract, but it was hardly an albatross.

I think you can wonder if a similar thing happened with Foligno. They wanted a leader/veteran for the lower lines. A “good in the room” guy that had offensive capabilities (at least historically). Instead of being patient and scoping out which available players would fit this description AND be able to accept good value contracts, they zeroed in specifically on Foligno and paid a very high price.

I’m sure part of the thought was “two years isn’t a big risk”. But the money is significant and he was given protections. Above all, how do you seriously go as far as offering any sort of trade/movement protection? They cut a deal on a player who is clearly in decline where the team took 100% of the risk. Just undisciplined.
Not saying it was a good deal but from what I recall there were "issues" with Seguin and another players' wife. A "core" player from what I understand and that plus his unprofessional nightlife "habits" during the season and playoffs (he was a modern day Sanderson...) and the new long term contract just meant it was a divorce. Loui without the concussions and add a pick and it would have worked out for both side IMO. Again, not ideal by any means but it could have gone better health permitting.

Reactions: pearljamvs5

Yeti34

Apr 13, 2013
Tampa
Not saying it was a good deal but from what I recall there were "issues" with Seguin and another players' wife. A "core" player from what I understand and that plus his unprofessional nightlife "habits" during the season and playoffs (he was a modern day Sanderson...) and the new long term contract just meant it was a divorce. Loui without the concussions and add a pick and it would have worked out for both side IMO. Again, not ideal by any means but it could have gone better health permitting.
There is literally nothing to substantiate this. This came out after the trade most likely as a Joke that got overblown.

Reactions: EverettMike

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
I'm done with the Nick Foligno thing. He's gotten worse and worse over the past 3-4 seasons. Next year I expect him to be even worse than this year, which is an incredible accomplishment.

Don't want to see him on the ice. Unless there's like 90 injuries he shouldn't be out there. I'd take Coyles dog on the 4th line over 17.

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
dude was awful all season , but the crowd comes to take their shots at him after he has best two weeks of hockey in two years. fun times. terrible player, amazing series, goofy fans.
Amazing series? Foligno? Had a few good plays for the first time in years but that is quite the low standard if we label it amazing!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad