Former Bruins Nick Foligno II

mar2kbos

Sep 28, 2017
He needs to be the injury alternate and sub in a better player that can actually keep up with the play. He's cooked as a player. I would be fine with his subpar season if he played better in the playoffs. Its not happening.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
His interview on today's Spittin Chicklets is awesome. A definite must listen.

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
I actually think Foligno has been quietly effective. I'd like to see him be more physical, and he was more physical at home than on the road, but overall he's been very smart and responsible defensively. He has one of the highest shots for/against differentials on the team (3rd). If nothing else, he should get some praise for that.

After G2 I wanted to see Blidh but now I'm a bit torn between the advantages of Blidh's energy and hitting vs the security of Foligno's steady defense.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
I actually think Foligno has been quietly effective. I'd like to see him be more physical, and he was more physical at home than on the road, but overall he's been very smart and responsible defensively. He has one of the highest shots for/against differentials on the team (3rd). If nothing else, he should get some praise for that.

After G2 I wanted to see Blidh but now I'm a bit torn between the advantages of Blidh's energy and hitting vs the security of Foligno's steady defense.

He looked better to me last night. I didn't think he was all that effective in Game 3. The upside of him is he rarely does stupid things. He's safe and that counts for something. And if he was getting 4th line money, it would be easier to take, but he'd also have been upstairs a few times I think. It's not Nick's fault that he's massively overpaid, but he was brought in to contribute a lot more than being just a safe pair of hands on a 4th line. His signing cost the Bruins an opportunity to make an improvement elsewhere, or even to develop a younger player or two in his spot. That is hard to forget when you are assessing his performance. Maybe his performance yesterday turns a corner for him, but even if he were getting 4th line salary, he hasn't really deserved even the limited icetime he's been getting.

The National

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2017
Los Angeles

I think that just shows how low the bar is for Foligno at the moment.

Beesfan

Apr 10, 2006

Stay with Foligno all day. He hits, he cycles, he makes decently smart plays with the puck. Not saying he's great or anything, but he is a much safer choice than Blidh. Foligno's line is taking time off the clock and not getting scored on. That's what you want from a fourth line this time of the year.

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
I still don't think he's been terrible. At the very worst he's been a net neutral player. Doesn't help. Doesn't hurt. Far more than I can say for Frederic, and I'd trust Foligno over Blidh as well.

The 4th line has been buzzing, why shake that up?

Reactions: PlayMakers

goldnblack

Jun 24, 2020
Yeah he's the heart of the team (along with Bergy, Marchy, Charlie). It's worth too much to sit now.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
He looked better to me last night. I didn't think he was all that effective in Game 3. The upside of him is he rarely does stupid things. He's safe and that counts for something. And if he was getting 4th line money, it would be easier to take, but he'd also have been upstairs a few times I think. It's not Nick's fault that he's massively overpaid, but he was brought in to contribute a lot more than being just a safe pair of hands on a 4th line. His signing cost the Bruins an opportunity to make an improvement elsewhere, or even to develop a younger player or two in his spot. That is hard to forget when you are assessing his performance. Maybe his performance yesterday turns a corner for him, but even if he were getting 4th line salary, he hasn't really deserved even the limited icetime he's been getting.

Maybe you're right. I still like Nick, though, and believe he provides valuable leadership and veteran experience.

He can up his physicality, and he should. He might as well for several reasons, not least if he isn't contributing offensively.

And, yet again as you note, it isn't Folgino's fault Sweeney overpaid for him. What's he going to do, turn it down?

The person responsible for whatever ancillary issues his signing created was, is and always will be Don Sweeney. Just as the B's passing on adding offensive depth at the deadline is Sweeney's responsibility.

FWIW, I was extremely pleased with the Lindholm signing, and even re-upping DeBrusk, who will still walk, has worked out very well thus far. The re-up, and Jake's excellent play, will make picking up his contract more palatable to potential suitors, and should bring back significant return. Sweeney gambled here, and seems to have placed a winning bet. Credit where due.

Reactions: TCB and Dr Hook

DitClapper

May 15, 2014
Zero presence out there. Playing against fourth line competition. Could not even be relied on to be a physical player.

I would like a Netflix documentary on how this lame swindled the Bruins to signing him to that contract. The Bruin Swindler.

What an awful signing. Appalling player at this point of his career.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
I wanted this to work but he's not an NHL caliber player anymore. Simon Gagne in 2014-15 was more effective. Think about that.

Patdud

Mar 23, 2022
New Hampshire
Zero presence out there. Playing against fourth line competition. Could not even be relied on to be a physical player.

I would like a Netflix documentary on how this lame swindled the Bruins to signing him to that contract. The Bruin Swindler.

What an awful signing. Appalling player at this point of his career.

and a NMC/NTC to boot

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
One would think you couldn’t top the Beleskey, Moore or Backes contracts and Sweeney last off-season just goes full hold my beer.

Just compare this for a second......

The Bruins go out on the first day of free agency and go hard after Foligno basically offering him 2 years at 4 million per with trade protection. Meanwhile he had a pretty spotty performance with Toronto last year after being acquired, almost no impact in the playoffs vs. Montreal.

Meanwhile the Lighting wait in the weeds, and after a couple weeks pick up Corey Perry on a two-year deal for a million bucks a year on a 35+ contract. The same Perry who WAS impactful in the playoffs for Montreal, and the previous year for Dallas.

Like who is making these sorts of recommendations? Were Bruins pro scouts watching Foligno last year and salivating at the chance to chase him when free agency opened?

Bottom line this is talent evaluation issue. Person or person(s) are being paid to make these evaluations and they seemingly don't have a clue.

I'd fired the entire pro scouting staff tomorrow if I could.

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
Remember 90% of this forum was jumping for joy when we signed foligno saying he was exactly what we needed on our 3rd line and would bring great leadership and accountability to the bottom 6.

Now everyone’s saying “what the hell was Sweeney thinking” lol

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
Remember 90% of this forum was jumping for joy when we signed foligno saying he was exactly what we needed on our 3rd line and would bring great leadership and accountability to the bottom 6.

Some of your generalities are super questionable.

90% of the board was definitely not jumping for joy over signing Nick Foligno. There was immediately debate as to whether or not this would be an easily regrettable contract.

I certainly wanted to give him the chance, but like most people, I was never jumping for joy.

Deal Law

I would love to QEF your PFIC
Jan 15, 2006
Bucks County, PA

I recall a few posters saying they thought he was in line for some kind of bounce back season, but I think the general sentiment (without going back and re-reading the last off-season thread) was that Foligno looked cooked by the end of last year and what the hell was the front office thinking.

Reactions: CharasLazyWrister

CellyHard

May 27, 2012
Massachusetts
Just compare this for a second......

The Bruins go out on the first day of free agency and go hard after Foligno basically offering him 2 years at 4 million per with trade protection. Meanwhile he had a pretty spotty performance with Toronto last year after being acquired, almost no impact in the playoffs vs. Montreal.

Meanwhile the Lighting wait in the weeds, and after a couple weeks pick up Corey Perry on a two-year deal for a million bucks a year on a 35+ contract. The same Perry who WAS impactful in the playoffs for Montreal, and the previous year for Dallas.

Like who is making these sorts of recommendations? Were Bruins pro scouts watching Foligno last year and salivating at the chance to chase him when free agency opened?

Bottom line this is talent evaluation issue. Person or person(s) are being paid to make these evaluations and they seemingly don't have a clue.

I'd fired the entire pro scouting staff tomorrow if I could.

I mean this is absolutely spot on. Tampa was in cap h*ll last off-season to boot. To make matters worse, they even got Bellemare on a million dollar deal who has formed a great 4th line with Perry and Maroon.

Foligno makes more than all three. The signing was/is atrocious

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
I recall a few posters saying they thought he was in line for some kind of bounce back season, but I think the general sentiment (without going back and re-reading the last off-season thread) was that Foligno looked cooked by the end of last year and what the hell was the front office thinking.
You might want to go re-read the last off season thread or whatever thread it was when they signed foligno. The only knock was the $3.8m but the masses loved the player

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad