Former Bruins Nick Foligno II

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
1 assist, 6 shots on goal in 7 games? That’s the furthest thing from an amazing series.

He was shit all season and in the playoffs. A handful of decent moments does not alter that. He complained about 4th line usage but when he was playing up he did nothing to indicate he should have stayed there. I am not looking forward to watching him for another season, but I think that is what is going to happen here.

Last edited:

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
He shit all season and in the playoffs. A handful of decent moments does not alter that. He complained about 4th line usage but when he was playing up he did nothing to indicate he should have stayed there. I am not looking forward to watching him for another season, but I think that is what is going to happen here.
Addition by subtraction. Get rid of this guy as he's cooked and free up the spot for a player that would be even slightly more productive and far less expensive.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Addition by subtraction. Get rid of this guy as he's cooked and free up the spot for a player that would be even slightly more productive and far less expensive.

Based on Don's comments (and yeah he is a smoke blowing machine so there is that) he's not getting bought out and I think it might be more than his head could take to put yet another overpriced vet in Providence. No better way to damn himself and certainly much harder than going with a fiction that Foligno might actually still be good with the right coach.

Reactions: BUP, BMC and LSCII

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Based on Don's comments (and yeah he is a smoke blowing machine so there is that) he's not getting bought out and I think it might be more than his head could take to put yet another overpriced vet in Providence. No better way to damn himself and certainly much harder than going with a fiction that Foligno might actually still be good with the right coach.
I'm sure. This was such a brutal signing from the jump, and so many folks here called it as it happened.

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
At least Backes played well in the season prior to him coming to Boston.

Foligno was lousy for both CBJ and Toronto.
While the Backes contract was an albatross in the end, the first year under Julien he actually produced fairly well. Didn't fit Bruce's system and at the same time got old and slow quickly.

But yeah, I said it at the time that the Foligno signing was absolutely indefensible and that it was Backes 2.0, and everyone jumped on me. Yes it's a lower commitment in both money and years than Backes was, but the player was absolutely cooked in Columbus before he even got dealt to Toronto. Giving him the contract they did was foolish and another classic Sweeney blunder.

Reactions: LSCII and BruinDust

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
Little bit of health and a new coach might do him some good. Don't want him bought out unless the money is used to make an impact signing. . . no sense in handcuffing future cap for no real gain now. Also still think under the right coaching staff he could be a good influence on the kids who want to learn how to be a pro.

Reactions: duffy

Absurdity

light switch connoisseur
Jul 6, 2012
I don't see him being bought out regardless if Bergeron retires or not. He's an upcoming free agent. If Bergeron retires leading the Bruins to rebuild, then hopefully he could somewhat increase his value and return a pick at next year's deadline.

Reactions: Over the volcano

The National

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2017
Los Angeles
Little bit of health and a new coach might do him some good. Don't want him bought out unless the money is used to make an impact signing. . . no sense in handcuffing future cap for no real gain now. Also still think under the right coaching staff he could be a good influence on the kids who want to learn how to be a pro.
The hilarious part of him being here teaching them how to be a pro, he’s blocking them from a roster spot and from becoming a pro.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
The hilarious part of him being here teaching them how to be a pro, he’s blocking them from a roster spot and from becoming a pro.
It's insane. Cassidy gets fired for not developing the collective bag of shit Sweeney has drafted over the years, and yet Sweeney basically acknowledged how crappy his drafting was in the last off season because he had to go out and sign stiffs like Foligno since none of those players they drafted were good enough. It's a disingenuous display of shitty GMing and passing the buck all rolled into one smug arrogant package.

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
You want hilarious, look at the ages of the two kids he blocked out of roster spots this year - it’s Blidh who’s 27 and Wagner who’s 31

You don’t like him on the club, start blaming Bergeron who by all accounts petitioned and convinced him to come here. But no, just easy pot shots.

Last edited:

Bs1011

May 27, 2019
The right coach would have him no where near the lineup

Mathews28

Nov 24, 2008
Connecticut
It's insane. Cassidy gets fired for not developing the collective bag of shit Sweeney has drafted over the years, and yet Sweeney basically acknowledged how crappy his drafting was in the last off season because he had to go out and sign stiffs like Foligno since none of those players they drafted were good enough. It's a disingenuous display of shitty GMing and passing the buck all rolled into one smug arrogant package.
That Harvard education though….

Reactions: duffy and LSCII

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts

I love Nick, but it's likely time to move on.

He's a great guy, and he's not "obviously washed up," smart ass,

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad