Nick Bjugstad vs Brock Nelson vs Anders Lee

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Ironically Bjugstad was touted as the "goalscorer" with an incredible shot.
Well, he does have a great shot, and his uncle is a great shooting coach, but i always thought the hype about him with the Gophers was OTT. Erik Haula outscored him there.
Bjugstad was always considered a "beast" because of his size, but anyone who knew anything about the two growing up would know that Lee was always the true physical force of the two, though both were huge.. Very strong on his skates, and in general.

IceManCat

#TheFloridaPanthers
Jul 13, 2006
The Rat Den
Well, he does have a great shot, and his uncle is a great shooting coach, but i always thought the hype about him with the Gophers was OTT. Erik Haula outscored him there.
Bjugstad was always considered a "beast" because of his size, but anyone who knew anything about the two growing up would know that Lee was always the true physical force of the two, though both were huge.. Very strong on his skates, and in general.

I would echo that, I would say Bjugstad's biggest issue is his physicality along with general IQ.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Lee 343 gp, 124 g, 83 a

Nelson 398 gp, 99 g, 89 a

Bjugstad 362 gp, 82 g, 97 a

And the beat goes on. Would caution anyone about to crow about Lee's present dominance. If this thread has taught us anything, it's that we need to be humble when asserting our opinions.

But ndgolden was Lee's biggest backer from Day 1, does he have the right to brag :P

Riseonfire

Josh Bailey! GAME ONE, TO THE ISLAND!!!
Nov 8, 2009
I would echo that, I would say Bjugstad's biggest issue is his physicality along with general IQ.

If you replace Bjugstad with Nelson the sentence is still true. Nelson's wrist shot is deadly, but also super slow. Worse than a spirit bomb slow.

Reactions: IceManCat

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
But ndgolden was Lee's biggest backer from Day 1, does he have the right to brag :P

Yes, as long as he understands that HE might look like an ass 3 years from now. Some of the arguments on this thread are Comedy Gold, though.

Castle8130

May 9, 2017
You could still argue that bjugstad is better than Nelson. Bjugstad just has his little moments of looking amazing.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
You could still argue that bjugstad is better than Nelson. Bjugstad just has his little moments of looking amazing.
Sure, but Nelson was also called an amazing two way player, and references were made how he outplayed JT at camps. Like I said, funny stuff.

At this point, both Nelson and Bjugstad have to be considered disappointing relative to early expectations. Bjugstad has the excuse of injuries, at least. It's not like their careers are over...still time for a breakout of some sort.

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
NYI haven't helped Brock Nelson's development at all. I think his game really took a step back when Nielsen and Okposo left. Before then, Nelson was gravy scoring on the wing. After he was counted on to be a center, a role that just doesn't fit who he is.

I really believe that Lee will be a 25-35 goal scorer for a long time in the NHL. Injuries can change everything, but his combination of skill and strength is rare. If anyone can score 20 goals into his late 30's a la Dave Andreychuk, it's Anders Lee.

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
Sure, but Nelson was also called an amazing two way player, and references were made how he outplayed JT at camps. Like I said, funny stuff.

At this point, both Nelson and Bjugstad have to be considered disappointing relative to early expectations. Bjugstad has the excuse of injuries, at least. It's not like their careers are over...still time for a breakout of some sort.
I have been writing recently about the impact Trotz might have on Nelson because the opinions back in the day of Nelson having a two way game aren't false, it's just his development. Went from a two way center outlook to a 'better on the wing' forward.

Curious to see if Trotz can make him a defensive player again.

LordNeverLose

Jul 2, 2015
Picking a fight
NYI haven't helped Brock Nelson's development at all. I think his game really took a step back when Nielsen and Okposo left. Before then, Nelson was gravy scoring on the wing. After he was counted on to be a center, a role that just doesn't fit who he is.

I really believe that Lee will be a 25-35 goal scorer for a long time in the NHL. Injuries can change everything, but his combination of skill and strength is rare. If anyone can score 20 goals into his late 30's a la Dave Andreychuk, it's Anders Lee.
I'm also in the camp of thinking he's a better winger, but Nelson's best stretch as a pro came centering Lee and Strome

North Country

Oct 24, 2012
Islanders need to take the chains off Nelson and let him showcase his offensive abilities.
Lee is simply out muscles smaller players and is a positioning genius.
Bug's hockey IQ is just fine and had a very solid season. Look for him to gain major confidence and take off stats wise if he continues to stay healthy. Wheeler really started coming in to his own around the same age.
The best is still to come for all three of the Minnesota boys.

Riseonfire

Josh Bailey! GAME ONE, TO THE ISLAND!!!
Nov 8, 2009
It's a good point. The thing was, Strome facilitated that line from the wing, and that was definitely the high point of his career.

Thought he could be Kane-lite as the playmaking winger. Onto Ho-Sang now I guess.

Thrasymachus

Jul 1, 2018
I feel like this deserves a little bump.

Islanders have now locked up Lee and Nelson. Lee's totals understandably suffered without someone like Tavares on his line, but Nelson had a career year.

Will these contracts bite the isles down the line? Remains to be seen.

I still think that Bjugstad can turn the corner.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad