Confirmed with Link: Nicholson appointed CEO of Oilers, incl. supervising hockey operations (Presser@1PM)

The Joker*

That was my first thought too. I mean I'm glad Nicholson is getting involved, but does Lowe report to him? Or him to Lowe? And they both have final say over MacT?
Lowe to Bob, quite obviously. Bob was just made the BOSS of all things Oilers.

McDeathbyCheerios*

I see this as Katz realizing he doesn't know ******* at all and should put someone who does in charge

Xelebes

Jun 10, 2007
Edmonton, Alberta
If he really is just a crony then this means absolutely nothing.

I have no expectations but if he knows what's best for the team and wants to make McDavid happy, he knows what needs to be done.

Unfortunately, I think the odds of getting McDavid were better than the odds of Nicholson doing a management purge.

11% is a pretty good number to say by a mile.

duul

Jun 21, 2010
"will take over an expanded set of responsibilities within OEG that includes authority over all aspects of business and hockey operations for the Edmonton Oilers Hockey Club."

I think that says it all. Authority over all aspects of business and hockey operations. Lowe and MacT will be working for Nicholson. Ideally he cans Lowe. I'm fine with MacT as the GM right now.

Arpeggio

Jul 20, 2006
Edmonton
After a long audit and review of the Edmonton Oilers hockey club, I have deemed that only change required is a promotion for myself--Bob Nicholson.

:laugh::laugh: This is the first thing that came to mind.

This is good. I have full trust in Bob Nicholson after the work he's done with Hockey Canada. Katz couldn't stomach firing his buddy Lowe, but at least he has seemingly made his job obsolete.

I wouldn't count on Bob Nicholson firing Lowe. They're probably pretty tight through all their work together for Hockey Canada.

I think Nicholson's giving MacT this year to figure it out. After that I could see him being let go.

Nunymare

/ˈnʌnimɛr/
Sep 14, 2008
YEG
That is as much as I could reasonably hope for.

It'll be interesting to see what Nicholson does here.

Yeah I don't really ever see Low coming off the payroll TBH (unless Hockey Canada lures him away... your move, Tom Renney :sarcasm: ). At least this is something.

Seedling

Tier 7 fan (ballcap)
Jul 16, 2009
Canada
I take it that MacT is losing credibility here and that next year won't be another development year?

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
I don't know if I could handle this much good news in such a short time surrounding this team (ie people gettin' **** canned), but maybe just maybe that's coming next? Please, please please.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
"Well Daryl I have finished the forensic audit and have concluded that you must put me in charge."

OilerFan4Life

Feb 27, 2004
Heartland of Hockey
Like the poster above said, Lowe and Nicholson are buddies from the Hockey Canada days.

I doubt Bob fires Lowe BUT....Lowe could "step away" from hockey ops and be named to some stupid executive role relating to the arena??

Mcnofool6110

Re-defining Rock Bottom since '07
Dec 7, 2011
Sydney
Like the poster above said, Lowe and Nicholson are buddies from the Hockey Canada days.

I doubt Bob fires Lowe BUT....Lowe could "step away" from hockey ops and be named to some stupid executive role relating to the arena??

Might be happier than the lottery if this happened

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007

Hopefully this is Lowes new role relating to the new arena.

1369121931-1-784.jpg

Nunymare

/ˈnʌnimɛr/
Sep 14, 2008
YEG

Please please Tom Renney give him some top position in Hockey Canada.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
I don't know if I could handle this much good news in such a short time surrounding this team (ie people gettin' **** canned), but maybe just maybe that's coming next? Please, please please.

It's starting to feel like that light at the end of the tunnel isn't another train.

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
That sounds good, and looks like he has more power and authority than 6 rings. What's 6 rings gonna do now? Collect paycheques?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad