Post-Game Talk: Nice way to start the weekend!

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
A few things I saw...but it was from the back of the upper deck, so take it with a grain of salt. :)

GOOD
It was nice to see some players get rewarded for good work. Not only the Tatar and Nyquist goals, but the fantastic back check that Vanek made, which led to Nyquist's goal in the first place.

Great shot by Miller to turn and fire that one in for the second goal. Impressive.

Oh, and who's that new enforcer the Wings acquired? Dylan Something? ;)

NOT SO GOOD
Smith looked out of place for long stretches. His hooking penalty that led to Nashville's 3rd goal was just a matter of time, with how he struggled on that shift.

Mrazek seemed to have major difficulty with keeping track of the puck whenever the Preds went behind the net. I counted several times that (it looked like) it took him quite awhile to get his bearings back, once somebody was at a shooting angle again.

And I know this is going to sound crazy, considering the teams combined for 8 goals on 78 shots, but despite all the offensive numbers, it felt like much of the game lacked urgency. As if the teams were playing cat and mouse much of the time, especially in the first period, and maybe Nashville's lack of health was a factor as well. I dunno.

OVERALL
Plenty of content in this one, and my daughter had a blast at her first game (that she's old enough to actually remember).

Oh...and the curse continues. Detroit opened the scoring while my wife was off to the bathroom, and they made it 3-2 as I was on my way back from taking my daughter to the restroom. When it was still 4-3, my wife said that if it ended up going to overtime, she was definitely going to need another trip, and I joked that it would be a certain win for Detroit. :laugh:

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
I would easily sit Smith. Sproul can make defensive errors but looks a lot better with the puck and on the PP he may be the best we have behind Green already.

This was a fantastic game 5-on-5. First time it really felt like Blashill's system was running almost flawlessly. Lots of speed and pressure.

Imo.. add Mantha to the top 6. Give him a look. I feel like the 2nd PP unit and top 6 could use the infusion of skill he brings. Abby/Sheahan can take turns on the 4th line.

Konnan511

#RetireHronek17
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2008
Sarasota, FL
Penalty kill was brutal tonight. Preds with all three goals on the PP. Larkin with the fight was surprising. Mrazek had a really good game, we need to not give up those PP goals, though.

njx9

Feb 1, 2016
I'm really, really happy Sproul got a shot. I didn't get to see anything after the first, but I didn't hear the radio guys call out any egregious mistakes, which would put him as, at worst, our 5th best guy right now. No reason that he should sit in the press box again, if that keeps up.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
I'm really, really happy Sproul got a shot. I didn't get to see anything after the first, but I didn't hear the radio guys call out any egregious mistakes, which would put him as, at worst, our 5th best guy right now. No reason that he should sit in the press box again, if that keeps up.
He's probably going to have his rough moments defensively. But from what I saw he made quick and good decisions with the puck (other than a pass on his first shift). And he has the size and reach of Ericsson, with much better mobility. That helps us just by itself. And on the PP he could be just what we need.
Definitely a battle between Smith/XO for the #6 job right now imo.

Yemack

Oct 30, 2007
Also, does anyone know why Weber went after Larkin? Weber high-sticked Larkin and then went after him.

probably because Larkin got agitated and hit him back.

didnt rewatch and my memory is fuzzy so could be wrong but they exchanged some stuffs before it all blew up.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
He's probably going to have his rough moments defensively. But from what I saw he made quick and good decisions with the puck (other than a pass on his first shift). And he has the size and reach of Ericsson, with much better mobility. That helps us just by itself. And on the PP he could be just what we need.

I like his decisions on the point. His shot seems to get through traffic. Feel like our shots have been blocked too often the last few years on the PP, in part due to a lack of righty's and not having to worry about one timers from both sides.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004

I wish I could've gotten to see Sproul play. This defense definitely needs someone to take a surprisingly leap forward in ability.

He played more minutes than Smith last night, but that could've mostly been a function of his PP time.

Mount Suribachi

Nov 15, 2013
England
Also, does anyone know why Weber went after Larkin? Weber high-sticked Larkin and then went after him.

Probly because he thought Larkin wouldn't fight back. So good on D-Boss for standing up for himself.

As someone said earlier, the Wings this season seem much feistier than previously. I think that's partly down to coaching - Blashill's teams in GR were never afraid to drop the gloves, whereas Babcock preached discipline and kept everyone on a tight leash. I think its also a function of our roster. Since forever we've been a high skilled team who tried to keep away from the rough stuff as that wasn't how we would win. Well, we ain't skilled any more, so taking the high ground doesn't do us any favours, may as well stand up for yourself.

LeighDx59

Nov 23, 2011
Detroit, MI
Aside from the defensive turnovers against the Rangers, i've liked the way we have played in all three games this week. Hopefully it carries over tonight because were gonna need it against San Jose.

borisbadenough

Mar 25, 2013
I know you're joking, but I really hope they keep this up. So sick of watching them get pushed around year after year and still end up in the penalty box a whole lot.

John Scott is available for 1 mil and he can play a little d too.:laugh: Guys do not like getting into the lower slot when he is around.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
I like his decisions on the point. His shot seems to get through traffic. Feel like our shots have been blocked too often the last few years on the PP, in part due to a lack of righty's and not having to worry about one timers from both sides.
To me, if feels as if a lot of the reason is not making quick decisions. It's painful to watch a power play (of any team) where every pass is telegraphed, and every shot takes long enough that the goalie can wind his watch and have a cup of coffee before the puck is coming at him.

Even the best goalie in the world starts making mistakes when he has to keep moving, and the best defense can't get their sticks in the way if the puck keeps cycling efficiently enough. Clearly easier said than done, but when you see a team that zips it around for a quick variety of scoring chances - even if those chances aren't going in at the moment - it's a thing of beauty.

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
Sorry to be pissy but Abdelkader and Zetterberg are absolute trash right now. Z can't carry the puck or win a battle. I guess at least this last game as he stood still was able to make a few passes. Abdelkader I have watched closely and seen NOTHING. Can't give or receive a pass. His skating is really dumpy- how much weight has he gained? Not that we even need it, but why isn't Abbie fighting? Do you guys think he's injured?

I care less about winning than being entertained by skill and professional execution. You could say it's the roster but I know as individuals and a team Detroit can be much better. Our speed from several of the guys is terrific- but we need better decision making all around.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
Sorry to be pissy but Abdelkader and Zetterberg are absolute trash right now. Z can't carry the puck or win a battle. I guess at least this last game as he stood still was able to make a few passes. Abdelkader I have watched closely and seen NOTHING. Can't give or receive a pass. His skating is really dumpy- how much weight has he gained? Not that we even need it, but why isn't Abbie fighting? Do you guys think he's injured?

I care less about winning than being entertained by skill and professional execution. You could say it's the roster but I know as individuals and a team Detroit can be much better. Our speed from several of the guys is terrific- but we need better decision making all around.

Funny enough the bottom two lines have been the best so far. I think part of it is Larkin's inability to be effective at face offs currently. Also Tatar has been snake bitten at putting the puck in the net. Those top two lines haven't been going and guys are moving around the lineup. I mean, Abdelkader looked a lot better when Larkin was going. That's not the case right now.

Yemack

Oct 30, 2007
So is anyone going to make a GDT for tonight? It's about to start I believe

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad