Post-Game Talk: Nice way to kickstart your Oilers withdrawal - Berlin Wall gets some ice time!

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Classy move at the end there. I just love Woodcroft sometimes... he gains some positive points from me there. Whole team looked really happy for Matt Berlin. Even Campbell was trying hard to get him in the game by covering up the puck twice as soon as he could.

Nice home win going into the break
Would like to give Woody all kinds of credit for the move, but according to After Hours, it was our captain that suggested it in the first place.

Reactions: Da McBomb

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
With Mcdavid at 92 points right now I wonder if he would have hit 100 if it wasn’t for so many goals being called back by the referees that should have been goals. I can think of 2 off the top of my head, the Draisaitl goal tonight that Mcdavid assisted on and the OT goal against STL. I’m also sure he assisted on a bunch of Hyman goals that were called back.

I feel bad for Jesse. He is doing everything right but can’t put the puck in the ocean. I do like his forechecking I must say
For JPs sake you have to cut ties with him. I can’t see him ever having success here.

Reactions: Duke74 and RattsSSV

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
Patrick Kane wants to be an Oiler so badly. It'll happen... either this TDL or in the summer. I think the Hawks will try to do him right by giving him a chance at the Cup this season. Also helps for their Bedard tank and to recoup assets
That’s a nasty top 6. Best in league. I’m curious what it would cost to get both of them here?

With Mcdavid at 92 points right now I wonder if he would have hit 100 if it wasn’t for so many goals being called back by the referees that should have been goals. I can think of 2 off the top of my head, the Draisaitl goal tonight that Mcdavid assisted on and the OT goal against STL. I’m also sure he assisted on a bunch of Hyman goals that were called back.

For JPs sake you have to cut ties with him. I can’t see him ever having success here.
Yes, I think he wants out as well. Hopefully we can get something

Reactions: Pizza!Pizza!

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Only downer was Dylan Holloway is probably gonna bumped out of the top 6 again with that brutal turnover that also cost Campbell a .900+ game.

I got time for Max Domi.

You kinda have to laugh that Jesse can't put a puck in the net but can somehow hit Domi square in the helmet with a baseball swing out of mid air, lol.
Problem was that it wasn't the only turnover by Holloway during the game. He was a virtual machine at it from the beginning. The one on the goal was just the cherry on top of a game full of them. Clearly not ready for that role. And although he is a very good skater, he appears to still need a whole lot work on his edge work. Must have fallen down 4 or 5 times untouched just making a simple tight turn.

Patrick Kane wants to be an Oiler so badly. It'll happen... either this TDL or in the summer. I think the Hawks will try to do him right by giving him a chance at the Cup this season. Also helps for their Bedard tank and to recoup assets
Are there actual reports of this? Or are you just wishing out loud upon a fallen star?

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Firstly, very happy with the win, and nice bounceback against a team we absolutely have to beat, in our sleep.

When a team scores 7, you usually think they've pretty much filled the bucket, but man, there were opportunities out there last night to have an epic night.

The goal called back for goalie interference was a complete joke, and I wish our coach would have challenged, as I think it would have been an easy reversal. As bad as that was, Ron McLean said in intermission that it was probably okay because the score "allowed it." Couldn't stand him before and now it's even worse.

I think we hit 2 posts as well, and a ton of other muffed chances, McDavid could have had 4 goals and maybe 7 or 8 points EASILY. Mrazik is an absolute shit goalie, and I'm glad the Hawks didn't throw the other guy in there on the off chance he has one of those "rookie" games against us.

Lastly, I wish someone out there would run Connor Murphy's face through the glass. Absolutely can't stand him and never could even when he was with Phoenix.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
The lines I said looked like practice lines before game started. There was no sense to them. Holloway for sure isn't ready for topline and Drai had Ryan and a still struggling Kane.

The Nuge line cooled off as soon as the Janmark injury. He was being a good puck retriever on that line. Its been hard too for Kostin to keep up his pace.
I 'got' the rationale. Ryan has been really good lately and Holloway has showed spurts of having everything click in. These two with McDavid have had some solid shifts against fourth line opponents. But it clearly wasn't working from opening face-off against better opposition. Nothing else was working either - other than Hyman's motor and the PP to drag this team into the fight.

One of my issues with Woodcroft has been deployment and tinkering. No need to deviate from team success on the last game before the break. Why risk giving a Hawks team that just rolled the Flamers any momentum?

Agree with your sentiments!

Reactions: bellagiobob

La Bamba

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 23, 2009
That’s a nasty top 6. Best in league. I’m curious what it would cost to get both of them here?
Kane & Toews? Man that would be A LOT, especially if the Oilers had to send back Pulju, Yamo, and Foegele for cap purposes and paying a 3rd team to retain

I'd be willing to part ways with Bouchard, 1st, and any prospect the Hawks want

Hyman - McD - P. Kane
E. Kane - Drai - McLeod
Kostin - Toews - RNH
Ryan - Janmark

🤯

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
Kane & Toews? Man that would be A LOT, especially if the Oilers had to send back Pulju, Yamo, and Foegele for cap purposes and paying a 3rd team to retain

Hyman - McD - P. Kane
E. Kane - Drai - McLeod
Kostin - Toews - RNH
Ryan - Janmark

🤯
Nasty team there. Add a dman and I’m coming out for Stanley Cup Parade

Ibanez

Dec 1, 2014

Hyman - McD - P. Kane
E. Kane - Drai - McLeod
Kostin - Toews - RNH
Ryan - Janmark

🤯
I really don’t know how we get both.

I think the cost for Kane will be high. Toews probably cheaper and more and of what we need?

Shrug. Just my thoughts

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
Guys cmon. Look at the cap and be realistic. Patrick Kane would be almost impossible to add and toews even more so. Toews is maybe a guy we could add in the offseason.

La Bamba

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 23, 2009
I really don’t know how we get both.

I think the cost for Kane will be high. Toews probably cheaper and more and of what we need?

Shrug. Just my thoughts
this is a fantasy/miracle situation. It would take Holland having the balls, Keith doing a lot of recruiting, and Kane & Toews refusing to go anywhere else for it to happen lol. But it would be dumb for the Hawks to watch Kane/Toews walk in the summer for nothing

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Depends they aren’t subject to league minimums and can sign a PTO or an ATO.
PTO pays $500US plus the Jersey and with an ATO you just get the jersey.

But I do wonder if that now because he’s officially played on ice and made a save… would he be considered an oilers alumni therefore able to get free entry and seats to any oilers game and entry into any game standing room for life? That would be awesome.
Thanks for the reply. The pay for an ebug is either 500 or zero (just jersey) depending what was signed. But in the case of Berlin he was elevated to backup due to Skinner being ill and thus had to sign a one day. So I'm wondering if he got the 4K NHLPA minimum for one day contract. just curious is all.

The article is not conclusively clear. For instance Ayres did sign the ATO but that was as an Ebug and he played. Thats different. Berlin went from being Ebug to backup in same day before game. And played. So I'm thinking he got the 4K per diem NHL minimum.

Reactions: RattsSSV

soothsayer

Oct 27, 2009
Something would have had to have changed in Kane's mind recently to now want to join the Oilers. You never know.

Nostradumbass

Divinity
Jan 1, 2007
61 goalies have played for the Oilers. Matt Berlin has the top sv% of all of them. And, like Gretzky's 50 in 39, his record is highly unlikely to be broken.

Interesting that Smith had the best SAV% (min. 5 games) of any Oilers goalie ever and Stu is 2nd.

RegDunlop

Nov 5, 2016
Edmonton
Yeah. I really like Barrie. Hes been one of the more consistent dman on this team. Not sure its really that close this year. Seems like a super positive guy off the ice too.

I don’t love having him and Bouchard on the right side. But having the ability to play 7D and Descharnais has really helped balance those two out.

Maybe should consider Bouchard as a RW too lol

I'm really thinking we should consider moving Bouchard. Not sure if he'll ever be more than he is.

Reactions: Kerberos

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Guys cmon. Look at the cap and be realistic. Patrick Kane would be almost impossible to add and toews even more so. Toews is maybe a guy we could add in the offseason.
Realistic doesn't live in Oiler chatland, you know that.:D

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
I feel bad for Jesse. He is doing everything right but can’t put the puck in the ocean. I do like his forechecking I must say

You can tell he panics when he gets the puck. He does a lot of good things away from it, then blows up the moment he has it, especially in the o zone.

Someone should just tell him to shoot when he gets it. Stop trying to think, just fire it.

3IR

Feb 12, 2019
The last thing we need is another top 6 forward to go on a run this year.

Any assets we have to spare at the deadline NEED to be used shoring up the D with at least a top 4 Dman. If there's anything left cap wise and asset wise, then we could look for a versatile winger for the middle 6, preferably a RW.

Holloway Mcdavid Hyman
Kane Drai Yam
Kostin Nuge Mcleod
Janmark Ryan ______

All of the LW can be moved up and down the lineup as needed, and while a more reliable top 6 RW than Yam would be ideal, I think we'd be fine with Yam and Mcleod as the other two top 9 RW. I'd also be looking to run 11/7, especially if we get a solid top 4 dman.

Nurse _____
Broberg Ceci
VD Barrie
Bouchard

With Kulak being the one sent away and replaced with a more steady RD. Although I could see one of Barrie or Bouchard being moved if Holland thinks this really is the year to go all in.

Reactions: AM

herestohoping

Nov 14, 2009
Thanks for the reply. The pay for an ebug is either 500 or zero (just jersey) depending what was signed. But in the case of Berlin he was elevated to backup due to Skinner being ill and thus had to sign a one day. So I'm wondering if he got the 4K NHLPA minimum for one day contract. just curious is all.

The article is not conclusively clear. For instance Ayres did sign the ATO but that was as an Ebug and he played. Thats different. Berlin went from being Ebug to backup in same day before game. And played. So I'm thinking he got the 4K per diem NHL minimum.
He signed an ATO.

“Edmonton Oilers were without goaltender Stuart Skinner Saturday night versus the Chicago Blackhawks, as he was a late scratch with an illness

In his place, the Oilers signed the University of Alberta's Matt Berlin to an ATO on an emergency basis. He served as the backup to Jack Campbell in the Oilers 7-3 win over Chicago.”

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
He signed an ATO.

“Edmonton Oilers were without goaltender Stuart Skinner Saturday night versus the Chicago Blackhawks, as he was a late scratch with an illness

In his place, the Oilers signed the University of Alberta's Matt Berlin to an ATO on an emergency basis. He served as the backup to Jack Campbell in the Oilers 7-3 win over Chicago.”

So he didn't get paid, just the jersey. Guy had to buy his own at Cactus Club? heh. Oh well, 15mins of fame.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad