Post-Game Talk: Nice way to kickstart your Oilers withdrawal - Berlin Wall gets some ice time!

yukoner88

Dec 16, 2009
Dawson City, YT
So last night I was working during the game.

I had a break n peeked at the game and saw the Oilers were on a PP in the 2nd and the game was tied 1-1.

Someone was standing beside me and make a comment out loud "Common boys, just mop the floor these guys"

30secs later Drai scored making it 2-1, I go back to work and the next time I check the score the Oilers are up 5-1 after 2.

WaitingForUser

Mar 19, 2010
Edmonton
For sure
And perhaps Bouchard will round out. But for me, I'm a Barrie fan. Superior offense and PP QB with an easy contract. I see no reason why we need to have a 'Barrie lite', and could use the player as a major trading block.

Then again - I've been wrong before!!
Mostly because Barrie is on the wrong side of 30 and Bouch is 23. Barrie will more than likely only get one more deal after his current one. As much as I love what Barrie brings today what Bouch develops into is much more important down the road. We need to have Mcdrai see that the team continues to improve to ensure that they even think of re signing here. Trading a 23 year old d man is not a good start IMO

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011
The last thing we need is another top 6 forward to go on a run this year.

Any assets we have to spare at the deadline NEED to be used shoring up the D with at least a top 4 Dman. If there's anything left cap wise and asset wise, then we could look for a versatile winger for the middle 6, preferably a RW.

Holloway Mcdavid Hyman
Kane Drai Yam
Kostin Nuge Mcleod
Janmark Ryan ______

All of the LW can be moved up and down the lineup as needed, and while a more reliable top 6 RW than Yam would be ideal, I think we'd be fine with Yam and Mcleod as the other two top 9 RW. I'd also be looking to run 11/7, especially if we get a solid top 4 dman.

Nurse _____
Broberg Ceci
VD Barrie
Bouchard

With Kulak being the one sent away and replaced with a more steady RD. Although I could see one of Barrie or Bouchard being moved if Holland thinks this really is the year to go all in.

You mix up RDs and LDs very wild. Pure LDs is Nurse, Hybrid LD/RD is Broberg/Kulak, RDs is Ceci, Barrie, Bouchard, VD.. Yes, a LD is needed.

Holloway should NOT play 1st line minutes, its above his head. He is also one of the worst offensive statisticly, he is not there yet. Yamamoto Im not sure of, I dont know about him. He is not a top 6. There is just no room for him here. Leon is forced to play with him. Sigh.

McLeod McDavid Hyman
Kane Leon Yamamoto
Janmark Nuge Kostin
Holloway DS Nuge Ryan (double shift Nuge)

Fogele Shore

Nurse Ceci
________ Barrie
Broberg Bouchard
Kulak/VD

That D has to be a real upgrade on Kulak, and Im not sure of that Gavrikov is?
But he is also playing for one of the worst teams in CBJ right now.

RegDunlop

Nov 5, 2016
Edmonton
Mostly because Barrie is on the wrong side of 30 and Bouch is 23. Barrie will more than likely only get one more deal after his current one. As much as I love what Barrie brings today what Bouch develops into is much more important down the road. We need to have Mcdrai see that the team continues to improve to ensure that they even think of re signing here. Trading a 23 year old d man is not a good start IMO
Agreed but...
To me it's another case of making up thier mind. Is that not what Broberg can bring now?
I just don't like the repetition in styles.
We could even upgrade Bouch to Chychrun.

OfCorsiDid

54 goals? Must've been the money!
Mar 20, 2017
Toronto, ON
Agreed but...
To me it's another case of making up thier mind. Is that not what Broberg can bring now?
I just don't like the repetition in styles.
We could even upgrade Bouch to Chychrun.

Disagree. Bouchard and Broberg play distinctively different.

Broberg is more swift and puck moving with little shooting. He's better defensively due to his quickness and more defensive mindset.

Bouchard is more offensively talented being able to pass and shoot better. He's more susceptible to the major defensive gaff because he's wired to play offense first.

For me at least, when you're looking at young defencemen, I look at when they're at their best and make judgements based on that. So if you compare Bouchard last year and specifically during the playoffs he is the more impactful play compared to Broberg's best which he's going through right now.

Either way, when you're competing you need cost-controlled young players. That being said if the price of Chychurn is Bouchard and a pick, then sure. But I'm not throwing out the baby with the bathwater.

Reactions: RegDunlop

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
You can tell he panics when he gets the puck. He does a lot of good things away from it, then blows up the moment he has it, especially in the o zone.

Someone should just tell him to shoot when he gets it. Stop trying to think, just fire it.
When he gets the puck, he has so little confidence that he needs to get rid of it immediately

Disagree. Bouchard and Broberg play distinctively different.

Broberg is more swift and puck moving with little shooting. He's better defensively due to his quickness and more defensive mindset.

Bouchard is more offensively talented being able to pass and shoot better. He's more susceptible to the major defensive gaff because he's wired to play offense first.

For me at least, when you're looking at young defencemen, I look at when they're at their best and make judgements based on that. So if you compare Bouchard last year and specifically during the playoffs he is the more impactful play compared to Broberg's best which he's going through right now.

Either way, when you're competing you need cost-controlled young players. That being said if the price of Chychurn is Bouchard and a pick, then sure. But I'm not throwing out the baby with the bathwater.
I think the gap between their defensive games is larger than the gap between their offensive games.

OfCorsiDid

54 goals? Must've been the money!
Mar 20, 2017
Toronto, ON
You mix up RDs and LDs very wild. Pure LDs is Nurse, Hybrid LD/RD is Broberg/Kulak, RDs is Ceci, Barrie, Bouchard, VD.. Yes, a LD is needed.

Holloway should NOT play 1st line minutes, its above his head. He is also one of the worst offensive statisticly, he is not there yet. Yamamoto Im not sure of, I dont know about him. He is not a top 6. There is just no room for him here. Leon is forced to play with him. Sigh.

McLeod McDavid Hyman
Kane Leon Yamamoto
Janmark Nuge Kostin
Holloway DS Nuge Ryan (double shift Nuge)

Fogele Shore

Nurse Ceci
________ Barrie
Broberg Bouchard
Kulak/VD

That D has to be a real upgrade on Kulak, and Im not sure of that Gavrikov is?
But he is also playing for one of the worst teams in CBJ right now.

I am extremely curious what statistics you're referring to. At evens, McDavid and Holloway have played 44 minutes together. During that time they're split on Goals both allowing and letting in 2.

Possession numbers look pretty good with them having 52% CF, 62% xGF, and 68% HDCF together. So the stats definitely don't indicate he's "one of the worst offensive statistically". Holloway's individual possession stats also support this.

I think the gap between their defensive games is larger than the gap between their offensive games.

Right now? Maybe.

But if you compare Bouchard from last year's playoffs to Broberg right now it's a bit of different comparison.

Hence why I'm against throwing away Bouchard. This screams Jeff Petry 2.0.

Reactions: Duke74

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Somewhere, down in the depths of the Rexall Place Boiler Room, sits Craig MacTavish and Kevin Lowe taking shifts keeping the place warm. They know a thing or two about keeping the place warm. Or was that winning?
It was winning that they said they knew. Now what they never did admit to is they are very good at keeping a sit warm for no reason other than being ex-Oilers.

nally

When you have something to say, silence is a lie
Sponsor
Nov 8, 2004
London, Ontario
www.Directdial.com
So if Berlin was the backup for the Oilers, was there a separate Ebug for Chicago? That's the weird part.
As technically he wasn't the EBUG

Martin Gerber right now looking at that page;

View attachment 643544
Smith with the best GAA all time with the Oilers, unless 100 games is the minimum, then it's Talbot. Crazy

Reactions: BlackDogg

Harry Curry

Oct 10, 2022
So if Berlin was the backup for the Oilers, was there a separate Ebug for Chicago? That's the weird part.
As technically he wasn't the EBUG

Yes, one of the NAIT goalies was the Ebug. It was mentioned during the game. Whoever that guy was Ebug for both teams.

Reactions: BlackDogg

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007

I really dislike that they're tearing it down, that should be labelled a historic site for Canada really when you consider the stuff that went on there. At the very least how many buildings in Edmonton have that kind of history? It should be kept for future generations.

It should have been transformed into a sports museum or rec center or something, anything. PNE is Vancouver is still standing and that place is more dated.

Reactions: Duke74

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I really dislike that they're tearing it down, that should be labelled a historic site for Canada really when you consider the stuff that went on there. At the very least how many buildings in Edmonton have that kind of history? It should be kept for future generations.

It should have been transformed into a sports museum or rec center or something, anything. PNE is Vancouver is still standing and that place is more dated.
There were tonnes of things you could've done with it, but $$$.

Reactions: nally

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
For sure
And perhaps Bouchard will round out. But for me, I'm a Barrie fan. Superior offense and PP QB with an easy contract. I see no reason why we need to have a 'Barrie lite', and could use the player as a major trading block.

Then again - I've been wrong before!!

Stylistically I'm a Bouch guy - I've always loved defensemen with a big bomb from the point. But yeah, Barrie is easily the superior player at the moment, so I wouldn't be opposed to moving Bouch if a defensive upgrade was available (a big if).

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
It's great to see that he has a good sense of self-awareness about his subpar play. Now hopefully he can take the next step and put those words into action.

I think his pre-season comments about how he learned that he could produce by doing less in the Calgary series has hurt him. THE #1 thing that separates "good Leon" and "bad Leon" is when he is moving his feet and driving north-south with power. He just hasn't done that at all this year.

His M.O. this year has been to slow the game down whenever he can which leads to the signature 10 bell turnovers. On zone entry - stop up at the hash marks and either rip a cross zone pass or flip it back to the point; receiving the puck in the zone - stop it on the wall, try and hold off several defenders, lose the puck (often in a terrible place). Almost every time. This basically mitigates his physical assets, because when he drives to the middle of the ice and the with authority he is unstoppable, but it just hasn't been there at all this year. He needs to take back control of the flow of play rather than try and find his wingers with hero passes that they aren't likely to convert on.

Reactions: Duke74 and Oilhawks

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad