Speculation: Nice problem to have: Our depth and the question of who we will send down eventually

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
If possible, how would you guys feel about trading both 1st rounders (probably a mid pick and a late one) and maybe a prospect or Connolly in order to get a top-5 pick and draft one of Hanifin or Kylington? We're a young team and can afford can wait for them to develop and it sure beats overpaying d-men on the market.

I wasn't really high on Ekblad last year, but obviously Yzerman & co were, they were right, this kids the real deal and already a solid 1st pairing d-man, couldn't imagine how much better we could be this year had that move panned out.

I wouldn't mind using both picks to move up, but at the same time, I trust Murray with as many bullets we can give him. Basically, I trust the Yzerplan.

PaulGG

May 15, 2011
Paquette and Namestnikov should e sent back so they can get a lot of playing time. Connoley has earned a spot and was playing terrific before he got hurt. Nice to know what we have waiting in the wings should someone falter or get hurt.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Paquette and Namestnikov should e sent back so they can get a lot of playing time. Connoley has earned a spot and was playing terrific before he got hurt. Nice to know what we have waiting in the wings should someone falter or get hurt.

How has Connolly earned a spot over Namestnikov and Paquette when both have outperformed him and are strong defensively?

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
How has Connolly earned a spot over Namestnikov and Paquette when both have outperformed him and are strong defensively?

It's not all about what they've done this season. Connolly has paid his dues in the organization and was playing well before getting hurt. Both have cooled off the past few games, both could still use some developing. Just because they have played on the PK doesn't mean they're strong defensively. Brown plays PK and I don't think he's strong defensively. Connolly does enough in our zone he's not a liability.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Vladdy isn't going back, he just got an apartment here.

That doesn't mean much, I'm sure he didn't sign a long lease. Players shouldn't get too comfortable as you never know if you'll be traded or demoted.

With Filppula going back to center where does Namestnikov play? I've can't recall him playing anything but center in junior, AHL and NHL.

IdealisticSniper

Nov 9, 2008
Lets all be honest with ourselves. The ONLY reason Connolly is on this team is because of his waiver status plus his draft status. They dont want to lose him for nothing. Especially after they lost Panik for nothing.

I would be extremely surprised if he was on this team at the start of next year unless he has some miraculous turnaround the rest of this season.

CarpeNoctem

Chilling w The Chief
Oct 29, 2013
In The Night
Lets all be honest with ourselves. The ONLY reason Connolly is on this team is because of his waiver status plus his draft status. They dont want to lose him for nothing. Especially after they lost Panik for nothing.

I would be extremely surprised if he was on this team at the start of next year unless he has some miraculous turnaround the rest of this season.

The problem is that Connolly has been better, but not so much improved that he's bumped other players out of the way entirely. It's a tough situation actually.

Werewolf

Oct 29, 2013
Tampa

The reason he is on this team is because he has earned it by excelling in the AHL. We don't need a top 6 RW this year...or next. We have a team/organization that is willing to develop talent in the NHL on the third line. We don't have any other "natural" RW prospects even close to being ready or half as talented.

People were sh!tting on Killorn about a week ago then goes on a tear. Amazing to me how you are willing to give up on a 22 year old PROSPECT that played a good 8 games to start the season and played on fourth line...then misses a month and is three games back.

Connolly trade talk is unwarranted and premature...

IdealisticSniper

Nov 9, 2008
The reason he is on this team is because he has earned it by excelling in the AHL. We don't need a top 6 RW this year...or next. We have a team/organization that is willing to develop talent in the NHL on the third line. We don't have any other "natural" RW prospects even close to being ready or half as talented.

People were sh!tting on Killorn about a week ago then goes on a tear. Amazing to me how you are willing to give up on a 22 year old PROSPECT that played a good 8 games to start the season and played on fourth line...then misses a month and is three games back.

Connolly trade talk is unwarranted and premature...

He hasnt looked like a useful NHL player in his nearly 100 NHL games. Its that simple.

Could he eventually turn it around and become productive? Sure. Im not denying that he has talent, he just doesnt have the hockey IQ IMO.

There are prospects in this organization that have passed him every single year and it wont stop next year either.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
He hasnt looked like a useful NHL player in his nearly 100 NHL games. Its that simple.

Could he eventually turn it around and become productive? Sure. Im not denying that he has talent, he just doesnt have the hockey IQ IMO.

There are prospects in this organization that have passed him every single year and it wont stop next year either.

How hasn't he looked useful this year? I'll give you prior to this season but he's been playing well in his role.

You can see in his play that he's turned it around, he has more goals then the past two seasons. He's creating chances so the assists will start coming and the goals will continue.

The only prospect that has passed him is Kucherov. Paquette/Brown/Namestnikov haven't passed him. Connolly is set as our 3rd line RW for the season, I expect him to go 15-15 for the season. Good but not great numbers but showing improvement.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
How hasn't he looked useful this year? I'll give you prior to this season but he's been playing well in his role.

You can see in his play that he's turned it around, he has more goals then the past two seasons. He's creating chances so the assists will start coming and the goals will continue.

The only prospect that has passed him is Kucherov. Paquette/Brown/Namestnikov haven't passed him. Connolly is set as our 3rd line RW for the season, I expect him to go 15-15 for the season. Good but not great numbers but showing improvement.

What? Palat, Johnson, Kucherov, Drouin along with Killorn passed him over the past 2 years, Namestnikov is equal if not better than him right now.

You think he'll score 28 points in the remaining 58 games? That's nearly 0.5PPG for a guy who's career averages 0.2 and this year averaging 0.18. That's some lofty expectations for Connolly, I wouldn't bet on over 20 points this year.

IdealisticSniper

Nov 9, 2008
What? Palat, Johnson, Kucherov, Drouin along with Killorn passed him over the past 2 years, Namestnikov is equal if not better than him right now.

You think he'll score 28 points in the remaining 58 games? That's nearly 0.5PPG for a guy who's career averages 0.2 and this year averaging 0.18. That's some lofty expectations for Connolly, I wouldn't bet on over 20 points this year.

I'll take it one step further. I would put money on him being part of a trade package that lands us something at the deadline.

Oh and for the record he no longer a "prospect". Firstly, his games played and secondly and more importantly his waiver status. He is a player not a prospect. Like it or not it's now or never, this organization has way too many options to just sit and hope with him.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012

Palat, Killorn and Drouin are left wings, Johnson is a center, like I said Kur is the only one who's passed him as a RW. Killorn is also 3 years older, Johnson is a 2, Connolly is progressing but slower than most wanted because of where be was drafted.

Like I said he wasn't good his prior to this season so his ppg average from the past I'm not worried about. He had 2 goals the first 6 games so he was on a 30 point pace before the injury. As he shown in the A he can go on a scoring tear in a few games and put up big points, don't think he'll score at those rates but a good 10 game stretch he can get a lot of those points.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I'll take it one step further. I would put money on him being part of a trade package that lands us something at the deadline.

Oh and for the record he no longer a "prospect". Firstly, his games played and secondly and more importantly his waiver status. He is a player not a prospect. Like it or not it's now or never, this organization has way too many options to just sit and hope with him.

I'm not so sure he's going to last until the deadline. I feel like we're now seeing Connolly's "last chance." I can't fathom any reason for him to be on the top PP unit except to either prove he can hang in a premium offensive role or to boost his point total so we don't have to trade him for scraps. Paquette has outplayed him in a limited role to this point, so it could make us a worse team to demote Paquette and keep Connolly around. All that said, I feel like Connolly was one of our more dangerous players last game. If he can build on that he might finally start paying off.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad