Speculation: Nice problem to have: Our depth and the question of who we will send down eventually

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
Time to bump this bad boy: Hedman is close and Paquette and Namestnikov are the only ones that can be sent to Syracuse without waivers...

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Time to bump this bad boy: Hedman is close and Paquette and Namestnikov are the only ones that can be sent to Syracuse without waivers...

It'll probably be Paquette. I just doubt they're going to make a trade when the organization can avoid it. Plus, no matter what trade we make, unless it's a 2 for 1, we're going to have the exact same problem of too many players and not enough roster spots.

They may shock us and move Barbs or Brewer, but I don't see a trade being made at the forward position.

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
It'll probably be Paquette. I just doubt they're going to make a trade when the organization can avoid it. Plus, no matter what trade we make, unless it's a 2 for 1, we're going to have the exact same problem of too many players and not enough roster spots.

They may shock us and move Barbs or Brewer, but I don't see a trade being made at the forward position.

I agree, especially with the history of injuries we already have this year. Can't have enough players that already know the drill and be put right back into the lineup and have an impact.

The Macho King

Jun 22, 2011
Also, I think if Connolly doesn't start producing, he's going to be moved by the deadline. They're going to give him his chance, but it's do or die, and if he can't hang, he's gone and Paquette comes back up.

Mihms06

Jan 11, 2012
Florida
I know one thing is for sure, I'm already tired of this whole "rotation" thing they have going on. Morrow should always in my opinion be the first or one of the first options to sit out. Say what you want about it not being bad for the younger guys development but if you do the math, yes I'm using Drouin as an example.

He sat out during the Islanders game, now for the Rangers game. That is sitting once every 3 games for a total of 60 remaining games. Your going to tell me sitting out healthy for 20 games is ok for his development??

They really need to fix this. Because that goes the same for the other players. You sit, play two games, sit. Rinse and repeat..

2020 Cup Champions

Formerly Sila v Kucherove
Nov 26, 2013
I know one thing is for sure, I'm already tired of this whole "rotation" thing they have going on. Morrow should always in my opinion be the first or one of the first options to sit out. Say what you want about it not being bad for the younger guys development but if you do the math, yes I'm using Drouin as an example.

He sat out during the Islanders game, now for the Rangers game. That is sitting once every 3 games for a total of 60 remaining games. Your going to tell me sitting out healthy for 20 games is ok for his development??

They really need to fix this. Because that goes the same for the other players. You sit, play two games, sit. Rinse and repeat..

He'll be OK. If he gets enough rest I can see him putting it together late in the season and going full Seguin in the playoffs.

JS91

May 14, 2014
I could see Connolly or Killorn getting moved by the deadline. We clearly have too many NHL-ready forwards and those are pretty much the only guys I could see traded. I understand that having good depth is very important, but having one of the best prospects in the world who is clearly NHL ready sit out every 3rd game is just not worth it.
I know our lineup is changing all the time atm, but I'd like to see something like this:

Drouin - Stamkos - Callahan
Palat - Johnson - Kucherov
Namestnikov - Filppula - Killorn/Connolly
Paquette - Boyle - Brown
Morrow

If we trade Killorn or Connolly we will have 12 solid NHL starters and Morrow filling in for injuries and playing a game every now and then to give someone else a rest.
I think Killorn works out better for the 3rd line, as Connolly has (at least should have) solid top 6 scorer potential and there just isn't room in our top 6 for him. His value has probably taken a hit though and I'd really hate to see us trading him for nothing and him then developing into a solid top line scorer. Oh well, I'm sure Yzergod could still work out a solid trade for him.

BohemianRhandomly

Nov 3, 2014
Section 128
I could see (or at least hope to see) Connolly going in a trade before Killorn. They both have plenty to offer but I'd envision Killorn settling in as a 3rd line grinder rather than bumping down someone in the top 6 to make room for Connolly. Too much talent up top, too much chemistry (especially on 2nd line) to mess with. Connolly seems a little more expendable to me.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Also, I think if Connolly doesn't start producing, he's going to be moved by the deadline. They're going to give him his chance, but it's do or die, and if he can't hang, he's gone and Paquette comes back up.

I'm actually wondering if Connolly's recent use on the first PP unit has been an attempt to boost his trade value. He clearly doesn't deserve the opportunity, especially with Palat, Kucherov, and Johnson getting scrap PP time on the second unit. And we know the team tried to keep Teddy and Malone's value high last year, since both were demoted immediately after the deadline. So it wouldn't surprise me if that's why Connolly's getting some premium PP time.

Werewolf

Oct 29, 2013
Tampa
No need to trade any of them. This trade talk is just silly. We have two players that can be sent down no problem. Paquette can get a full time job next year when Morrow leaves.

There really seems to be a lack of a plan from Cooper besides if you perform you play. Evidence by Killorn getting first line minutes. He disbanded Filppula. Stammer.Cally line as they started to show chemistry. This merry go around of lines is really frustrating to watch. And agree ... Drouin should not be getting scratched at all.

Also having a Jr scoring line sucks cause they are not talking to vets on their line. I remember M-4rty talking to Palat and Johnson every time they got back to the bench. A Drouin/Vladdy/Paquette line doesn't allow for that vet to go through the shift. They have to mix in the vets and rooks together a bit...especially early in the season. We are winning...but there seems to be an inconsistency there that is worrying and frustrating me. Plus not seeing the actual plan unfold is disconcerting.

Last edited:

Obviously

Dec 4, 2013
There really seems to be a lack of a plan from Cooper besides if you perform you play. Evidence by Killorn getting first line minutes.

I get *****ed at every time I mention this. Cooper is a good dude, and as far as I am concerned he is a good coach. That being said, I don't think he has any idea how to handle prospects coming into the NHL

BobbyTheChiefTaylor

Nov 26, 2014
Boy I'll tell you what, we got so many young guys - Kusherov, Duyler Jensen, Andrei Polat, we're having a truffle just looking who to fit in. I think Connolly and Paquette are gonna be sent down just because it's such a hamjob moving anyone else.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Boy I'll tell you what, we got so many young guys - Kusherov, Duyler Jensen, Andrei Polat, we're having a truffle just looking who to fit in. I think Connolly and Paquette are gonna be sent down just because it's such a hamjob moving anyone else.

Post of the year.

P.S. did you post this from Hattricks right before last call?

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
The depth of the team is amazing. No need to break it up by trading away guys who don't need to be traded. We are have some of the best forward depth in the league. Unless we get a deal we can't refuse. Keep these talented players here. We're going to need them. Injurys are not easy to avoid in this game.

2020 Cup Champions

Formerly Sila v Kucherove
Nov 26, 2013
The depth of the team is amazing. No need to break it up by trading away guys who don't need to be traded. We are have some of the best forward depth in the league. Unless we get a deal we can't refuse. Keep these talented players here. We're going to need them. Injurys are not easy to avoid in this game.

That's what I've been thinking. We have great F depth come PO time; we just need to work on our blueline!

The Macho King

Jun 22, 2011
That's what I've been thinking. We have great F depth come PO time; we just need to work on our blueline!

We've got a guy coming up that I think could help. Swedish kid, skates like the wind, and really likes Abba.

The Macho King

Jun 22, 2011
Put Connolly on waivers

Can't lose him for nothing, and he had two really good chances this game, one of them he pretty much created on his own.

He needs to be much more aggressive on the forecheck, though. He's a big guy, but he doesn't play like it. If he wants a place on this team, or hell, in this league, he's got to get dirty. Oh, and get off the ****ing PP.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Can't lose him for nothing, and he had two really good chances this game, one of them he pretty much created on his own.

He needs to be much more aggressive on the forecheck, though. He's a big guy, but he doesn't play like it. If he wants a place on this team, or hell, in this league, he's got to get dirty. Oh, and get off the ****ing PP.

Lmao has anyone else noticed how he just follows Callahan on the PP? like why the **** do you need 2 guys standing in front of the net? Connolly stands next to the goalie not even in front of him.

He looks better in open ice but man does his board play need work, his dumps are horrid, either it's the wrong time to dump it with none of our guys around the boards or he puts it onto the D-man's stick.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
If possible, how would you guys feel about trading both 1st rounders (probably a mid pick and a late one) and maybe a prospect or Connolly in order to get a top-5 pick and draft one of Hanifin or Kylington? We're a young team and can afford can wait for them to develop and it sure beats overpaying d-men on the market.

I wasn't really high on Ekblad last year, but obviously Yzerman & co were, they were right, this kids the real deal and already a solid 1st pairing d-man, couldn't imagine how much better we could be this year had that move panned out.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad