Speculation: Nice problem to have: Our depth and the question of who we will send down eventually

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
I really don't know who'll be the odd men out when Killorn, Connolly and Hedman come back.

Paquette is doing great so far and even without his goals he creates enough havoc to justify his spot on the team.
Namestnikov is playing solid hockey as well and I'd like to see him stay up.
Sending Drouin back to juniors will do nothing for him - nor the team.
Bad News Brown would have to clear waivers and he's IMO one of our most zealous players each game.
Both Sustr and Barberio require waivers now.

In short:

waivers exempt:
Kucherov (yeah, no chance bud)
Paquette
Namestnikov
Drouin (to juniors)

waivers required:
Killorn
Connolly
Brown
Barberio
Sustr

So who do we send down? Maybe we should even go for a trade instead? Some tough decisions to make coming up for Yze and company.

Last edited:

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
I like Paquette with Drouin and Namestnikov, they seemed to be working better of late. Unless there's a trade coming I don't see how they stay up, there's no way we can lose Connolly through waivers.

Last edited:

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
We've had a few injuries already and the injury bug likes to bite us, so I'm not in favor of a trade. Our depth is a good thing to have right now.

2MinutesforGiraffing

angelsil on safari
Apr 2, 2013
Tampa
I'd like it to be Sustr as I think he'd have the most to gain from more time in the AHL, but I'm guessing it'll be Paquette. Even though he's earned a spot with his play (more than Sustr for sure).

Could risk Barbs not being picked up, I suppose. It's not like he ever gets to play.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
We only need to move one, right? Since we're carrying an extra roster space at the moment.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Drouin played 9 games already so would have to send him down now to not start his ELC.

Most likely Paquette since he could use the development but could be Namestnikov if the go Stamkos/Johnson/Filppula down the middle.

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
We only need to move one, right? Since we're carrying an extra roster space at the moment.

I think you're right. I count:

Forwards:
1. Boyle
2. Brown
3. Callahan
4. Connolly
5. Drouin
6. Filppula
7. Johnson
8. Killorn
9. Kucherov
10. Morrow
11. Namestnikov
12. Palat
13. Paquette
14. Stamkos

Defense:
1. Barberio
2. Brewer
3. Carle
4. Garrison
5. Gudas
6. Hedman
7. Stralman
8. Sustr

Goaltending:
1. Bishop
2. Nabokov

14+8+2 = 24

So one has to go if all three of #14, #17 and #77 return.

The Macho King

Jun 22, 2011
Well we can't waive Connolly. After losing Panik to waivers, I don't think the team will want to lose two assets for nothing like that. So the smart money is on Paquette being waived unless a trade is made.

I'd like a trade to be made to open up a roster spot, but who knows.

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
I begin to wonder where Killorn fits in. I was a huge fan of his game when he broke into the league but he hasn't been himself since the last third of last season IMO. He stepped up in the playoffs but hasn't looked very good this season.

2020 Cup Champions

Formerly Sila v Kucherove
Nov 26, 2013
I begin to wonder where Killorn fits in. I was a huge fan of his game when he broke into the league but he hasn't been himself since the last third of last season IMO. He stepped up in the playoffs but hasn't looked very good this season.

He looked fine to me, but fine for Killorn could be overmatched for what's coming through the pipeline.

The Macho King

Jun 22, 2011

I know. He has skill and would clearly have value around the league - we could fill in a hole elsewhere if we could move him, or get a good pick back.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Simple solution: Trade Hedman, Killorn, Paquette, Namestnikov, and a first rounder for MacKinnon. :sarcasm:

The Macho King

Jun 22, 2011
Simple solution: Trade Hedman, Killorn, Paquette, Namestnikov, and a first rounder for MacKinnon. :sarcasm:

Until we have to re-sign him for 18 million when his contract is up.

I swear, some of you don't think about long term effects on the team.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Until we have to re-sign him for 18 million when his contract is up.

I swear, some of you don't think about long term effects on the team.

I think it's interesting because this team with it's depth does not need to make any trades right now. It makes it more difficult knowing there is not enough slots for all this talent, but that is certainly a good thing.

Werewolf

Oct 29, 2013
Tampa
Play Killorn and Connolly. Send down Paquette to play first line minutes in Syracuse as he is only 21. Pressbox Morrow. Conolly/Killorn > Morrow. There was a tweet today from EE I think today. Killorn was skating with Drouin and Namestnikov today interchanging with Paquette.

Brie

bearer of bad news
Jul 5, 2014
This is the million dollar question. Paquette have been awesome, it's like he took that penelty in game 4 and used it as motivation to get even better and it would suck now to send him down at the same time as it's pretty great to know that we have him ready to go incase we need him. I just hope that he keeps his game the way it is if he keeps getting sent up and down like this and that he won't eventually start feeling that he isn't good enough to stick around but continue to work on his game and get even better becuase we will need him.

The Macho King

Jun 22, 2011
Brewer is good depth. Maybe at the deadline if there's a solid move to make, probably for something like a late 2nd, but I don't think it makes sense until then.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad