Post-Game Talk: Nice passing boys!

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
the weakness on this team continues to be the 3C hole. Get someone in that spot that can actually play it and a lot of other pieces will fall into line.

remember, Sheahan isn’t *that* far removed from 0 goals in 79 games. Khaira had 3 last year. Gagner washed out of the league. Jurco has been an AHLer for two seasons. You’re fine wanting more but you can understand why they’ve gotten nothing. I’m most disappointed by Chiasson so far though.

I agree on the #3 centre issue but there is a lot more to give when it comes to some of the bottom 6 players.

For example...over the past 3 seasons....

Granlund averaged 13 goals
Sheahan averaged 10 goals
Chiasson averaged 14 goals

Those 3 players have zero goals so far.
So outside of Chiasson (who we agree on) whats happening now doesnt make sense.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
I agree on the #3 centre issue but there is a lot more to give when it comes to some of the bottom 6 players.

well, Granlund’s not shooting. Like, at all. 8 shots in 11 games is brutal for a forward. Sheahan’s not much better with 9 in 11. Chiasson has 11 in 10. That to me is the other key issue.

There’s bound to be *something* positive happen from the bottom six eventually, but to my eye they’re not even generating chances and they’re sure not generating shots - most of them are at a 1 shot per game pace or less. In my opinion there’s not enough of a North/south mentality in the bottom six right now - about the only exception is Patrick Russell with 16 shots in 10 games but there’s not a ton of quality there and if nobody is going to the net there’s no chance for a rebound either.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
Oh my god, yeah that "Wooooooo" sound, it's so f'n annoying it makes me want to punch things. I first started hearing it in MMA and the whole crowd does it, not sure where it originated from but now they're doing it in Detroit...It better not spread throughout the NHL because I might have to stop watching, it's seriously that annoying. Ahh - looking it up it originated in Europe where they do that instead of booing and apparently Americans just do it because they think it's fun. Ugh.

One of the more ridiculous things I've herd at a sporting event. Once in a while is one thing, but it was literally the whole game.

Weird how a few years of not being good has turned Detroit from "Hockeytown" to an Arizona-esque crowd of 10,000 people that are more interested in the frills and "cool sounds" than actually watching or caring about the hockey game.

Reactions: Porkleaker

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
well, Granlund’s not shooting. Like, at all. 8 shots in 11 games is brutal for a forward. Sheahan’s not much better with 9 in 11. Chiasson has 11 in 10. That to me is the other key issue.

There’s bound to be *something* positive happen from the bottom six eventually, but to my eye they’re not even generating chances and they’re sure not generating shots - most of them are at a 1 shot per game pace or less. In my opinion there’s not enough of a North/south mentality in the bottom six right now - about the only exception is Patrick Russell with 16 shots in 10 games but there’s not a ton of quality there and if nobody is going to the net there’s no chance for a rebound either.

I agree...the SOG are definitely a major issue. A major issue for the entire team.

I would like to see more desire from the bottom 6...more fire....more drive to the net.
A more consistent effort. Considering how many players are on 1 year deals I am surprised and perplexed why this is even an issue.

There is still time for this to turn around but there needs to be some signs of improvement very soon.

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
the weakness on this team continues to be the 3C hole. Get someone in that spot that can actually play it and a lot of other pieces will fall into line.

remember, Sheahan isn’t *that* far removed from 0 goals in 79 games. Khaira had 3 last year. Gagner washed out of the league. Jurco has been an AHLer for two seasons. You’re fine wanting more but you can understand why they’ve gotten nothing. I’m most disappointed by Chiasson so far though.

you mean like ryan strome

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
I agree...the SOG are definitely a major issue. A major issue for the entire team.

I would like to see more desire from the bottom 6...more fire....more drive to the net.
A more consistent effort. Considering how many players are on 1 year deals I am surprised and perplexed why this is even an issue.

There is still time for this to turn around but there needs to be some signs of improvement very soon.
Still no accountability. When Khaira has been your worst forward all season and he gets promoted to the second line? Why try?

MaxR11

Mar 28, 2017

Anyway you slice it and boil it down it will always come back to that "dreaded" C word and leadership which culture envelops. Gregor just mentioned on the radio there were players that were talking about the Oil being "easy to play against now". He's gonna talk to Ferraro about it soon. But that points to lack of urgency, determination, effort, drive and motivation. It's NOT all about lack of skill and talent here. I'd just AT LEAST like to see that consistent motivation as often as possible and much less sag and being easy to play against.

At this point i dont care if we continually lose games 2-1 or 3-2 as long as the motivation and urgency are always there. At least then you can build on that culture of effort and determination until we are able to acquire more talent and call ups. Otherwise you bring players into this sagging lack of motivation culture and they become poisoned as well and underachieve. It's not a mystical curse or the water. It's culture and leadership.

MaxR11

Mar 28, 2017
Ferraro making good points about why the pp is struggling. It's too stagnant. Guys not moving around enough. I've always though this. Needs to be more player motion. Not sure Klef is good for that though. His footwork and quickness are not the best.

dssource

5-14-6-1=97
Jun 29, 2012
Game 13 and we've seen that kind of effort already in the last what 4 or 5 games? Pathetic. Why can these guys not battle...ever? What is it about this team that screams pathetic effort?

Can't play 10-20 minutes a night and expect to win any games. Can't lose the special teams battle and expect to win.

Persson needs to come back and be placed with Klefbom. We need more speed.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Still no accountability. When Khaira has been your worst forward all season and he gets promoted to the second line? Why try?

I dont that the same way you do.
I think Khaira has been fighting it big time and I see the short term 2nd line adjustment as trying to get him going and I have no problem with it.
Actually that line was pretty good last night IMO.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Anyway you slice it and boil it down it will always come back to that "dreaded" C word and leadership which culture envelops. Gregor just mentioned on the radio there were players that were talking about the Oil being "easy to play against now". He's gonna talk to Ferraro about it soon. But that points to lack of urgency, determination, effort, drive and motivation. It's NOT all about lack of skill and talent here. I'd just AT LEAST like to see that consistent motivation as often as possible and much less sag and being easy to play against.

At this point i dont care if we continually lose games 2-1 or 3-2 as long as the motivation and urgency are always there. At least then you can build on that culture of effort and determination until we are able to acquire more talent and call ups. Otherwise you bring players into this sagging lack of motivation culture and they become poisoned as well and underachieve. It's not a mystical curse or the water. It's culture and leadership.

Its taboo to say this but Connor and Leon can be better in their own zone as well.
That line gets hemmed in a lot and I see stick waves far to often.
The game isnt played on 100 feet of ice.
They are more than capable of tightening up their games and that example will have a reverberation through the team.

Reactions: HK97

Arpeggio

Jul 20, 2006
Edmonton
Its taboo to say this but Connor and Leon can be better in their own zone as well.
They are more than capable of tightening up their games and that example will have a reverberation through the team.

I honestly think that first line at times is looking for fast breaks up the ice, because they do score a ton of goals off the rush. So they conserve some energy in their own zone until they have a chance at stealing the puck and take off. I can't blame them for it either when they're playing 30 minutes a night.

At some point, they have to stop playing them so much. McDavid and Draisaitl have had several 2-3 minute shifts this year when a long shift runs into a 2 minute PP shift. They are going to be completely gassed every night. That will lead to more defensive mistakes and hurt their +/-.

MaxR11

Mar 28, 2017

100% truth. I don't think people should be afraid to say these things. Just because Connor is great doesn't mean he can't be criticized. Doesn't mean he can't do some things better.

Absolutely. They both sag from time to time whether it be frustration or energy level or a combo of the two (although somehow they usually seem to find amazing pop and energy when trailing in the 3rd period). They start to cheat, float and sag. When they sag. The team sags with them. It's tough to be the best players on the team and the captain/assistant cap. But when you wield that power, there is a lot of responsibilities that go along with it.

Arpeggio

Jul 20, 2006
Edmonton
100% truth. I don't think people should be afraid to say these things. Just because Connor is great doesn't mean he can't be criticized. Doesn't mean he can't do some things better.

Absolutely. They both sag from time to time whether it be frustration or energy level or a combo of the two (although somehow they usually seem to find amazing pop and energy when trailing in the 3rd period). They start to cheat, float and sag. When they sag. The team sags with them. It's tough to be the best players on the team and the captain/assistant cap. But when you wield that power, there is a lot of responsibilities that go along with it.

They sag because they're both playing an unprecedented amount of minutes for an NHL forward, every single night. The only games they get off are when the game is blowing out, which luckily has happened a couple of times this year. Any close game and both are playing over 25 minutes minimum. That's insane.

MaxR11

Mar 28, 2017
They sag because they're both playing an unprecedented amount of minutes for an NHL forward, every single night. The only games they get off are when the game is blowing out, which luckily has happened a couple of times this year. Any close game and both are playing over 25 minutes minimum. That's insane.

Then maybe it's incumbent on them to take less minutes. I would guess Tips WANTS them to play less mins but i have a feeling Connor has a say as to when and how often he gets out on the ice. I understand they're the only two who can really pi$$ a drop offensively but maybe it's time for them to take a step back... reduce overall mins and offensive opportunities and give more opportunities to others. This can do a couple of things. Rest them more so they can have a higher percentage of quality energy shifts in the game. And also spark some motivation and confidence in some of the other bottom 9 players and get their mojo going. It may hurt short term and things might get worse but you stick with it and try to get those guys going and rest up connor. Becasue the way things are going and has played out in the last couple of years, we see it doesn't work. No playoffs anyways. All that happens is Connor and Drai put up good personal numbers.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004

I honestly think that first line at times is looking for fast breaks up the ice, because they do score a ton of goals off the rush. So they conserve some energy in their own zone until they have a chance at stealing the puck and take off. I can't blame them for it either when they're playing 30 minutes a night.

At some point, they have to stop playing them so much. McDavid and Draisaitl have had several 2-3 minute shifts this year when a long shift runs into a 2 minute PP shift. They are going to be completely gassed every night. That will lead to more defensive mistakes and hurt their +/-.

Its a catch 22...the team needs goals and nobody outside of Neal is scoring.
So while I agree that their minutes need to get cut back that not an excuse to cheat.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Interesting that Nuge’s line really controlled as well as it looked during the game.

Attachments

• F10DC079-9E15-4428-8EDF-0C42B931FBAD.jpeg
    F10DC079-9E15-4428-8EDF-0C42B931FBAD.jpeg
    52.5 KB · Views: 2

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad