Post-Game Talk: Nice passing boys!

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
Things that have never worked for the Oilers and continue not to work:
1. Line Juggling
2. Internal Competition
3. Picking up league minimum players who were rejected by near every other team.
4. Picking up Euro No Names.

This team needs an injection of actual TALENT. Players who can actually make plays. Defenceman who can actually complete a pass.

Stop the experiment with a bunch of these losers now. Then pick up TALENT even if it is the Sprongs and the Ho Sangs of this league. Then develop said TALENT.

Crazy thing is the Euro no names have been the best of the crop. Haas isn't great, but he can at least win faceoffs and skate at an NHL level, Nygard kept his head above water and could usually contribute something. I still think Persson going down is what kicked off this stretch of awful play.

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
I just don’t understand the bottom 6 guys, there’s just not desperation in their game for a bunch of guys who as it stands are playing their way out of the NHL.

Many of them barely got deals to begin with this off season and most of them need new deals next year.

you go a quarter of the season without scoring a point and you’re gonna find yourself in the minors or press box and likely not in the NHL next year

Verdadplus

Sep 29, 2017
Holland is proving to be as big an abject incompetent as Chiarelli.
Tippett is a stupid as Hitchcock and MacLelland.
Inspired ownership fires them both this week.
The team needs to be gutted.
Focus solely on scoring forwards going forward. Play the young defence. We know they cannot be worse than Russell, Manning and Nurse.

Reactions: Aerchon

ZenOil

Fast Twitch Hitch
Sep 23, 2010
Vancouver
Agree, part of it is roster but a lot of it is between the ears, leadership and culture. Overall leadership and culture as of now still not strong enough to navigate choppy waters as you say. There's no way they should be regularly coming into games looking like a$$ for the first and second periods with little urgency and effort. Then magically turn on the effort and urgency when trailing in the last 10 mins of the game.

It takes time but things seem to be trending the way it did in previous years. It's great that COnnor takes charge at times but i start to wonder how much involvement, say and control he has over the coaching staff and if it disrupts the overall team concept and what the team is trying to do as a whole. It's difficult to evaluate and judge because he's carried the team to victory so many times in the last few years. I wonder if he's just trying to lead in a way that's like "step aside, i'll take care of this", when we need him to get other guys going as well as that. I wonder if he's telling the coaches, "we're staying on for as long as we want on the PP". Stuff like that. If so it can hurt the mojo and confidence and developement of other players. They need to feel valued and need to get opportunities to feel confident.

Just spit ballin because it makes no sense why it seems to be a bermuda triangle of c*** here in teh bottom 6 or 9. Players go elsewhere and do well. Players do better before they come here and become nothing players. Somehow i think there's more to it than just talent.... i think something, some way we are handling players , the dynamics is rotten.... And possibly, no players we bring in will ever succeed unless something changes (or if they have some chem with connor or drai).
Probably something to this. Team chemistry is a huge element to success. From past experience if you don't feel respected by your best players you don't want to go to battle for them. If you love your team mates you'll battle your ass off. Pool party leaving also shows things might not be so tight in Oilersville. Could use some character guys like Max Talbot, Darren McCarty types. Or enthusiastic young guys. Guys that transcend the hierarchy and help bring unity. Character guys. Don't see much character/enthusiasm on this team.

Reactions: HK97

BlackDogg

perpetuum defectum
Oct 3, 2015
"I think we learned a lesson from their group" McDavid
"We came out flatfooted. We knew they were going to have some jump" Tippet

I'm just sick of hearing the excuses from whoever - the players the coaches etc. on how we "learned a lesson on having to come out desperate". f*** after how many years, you don't know the lesson material yet!!

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet
I just don’t understand the bottom 6 guys, there’s just not desperation in their game for a bunch of guys who as it stands are playing their way out of the NHL.

Many of them barely got deals to begin with this off season and most of them need new deals next year.

you go a quarter of the season without scoring a point and you’re gonna find yourself in the minors or press box and likely not in the NHL next year

I keep seeing these posts and I just don't get them. You really think the bottom 6 is just sleepwalking to paychecks with their careers on the line?

They don't score because they aren't good enough at this level. Plain and simple.

Reactions: frag2 and TB12

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Focus solely on scoring forwards going forward. Play the young defence. We know they cannot be worse than Russell, Manning and Nurse.

While slightly over the top at this exact moment. I have been saying all this for a long time.

Right now I am rihot. Last week I was wrong. Let's hope I'm wrong the rest of the year. I'll take a playoff appearance even if we have to bite, scrap, and use all the luck the hockey gods can muster.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
"I think we learned a lesson from their group" McDavid
"We came out flatfooted. We knew they were going to have some jump" Tippet

I'm just sick of hearing the excuses from whoever - the players the coaches etc. on how we "learned a lesson on having to come out desperate". **** after how many years, you don't know the lesson material yet!!

Just once I'd like to see the Oilers come out "desperate" when they are supposed to be. Usually these are the games that they flat out lay down for though.

Other shitty teams in the league can play "desperate" why the hell can't this team do it even once?

Weitz

Sep 23, 2014
Bad bottom 6 players replaced with bad bottom 6 players. Same result. I am shocked.

Mowzie

Sep 17, 2003
that whole fourth line should be demoted

Definitely don't disagree. I was just trying to make a lineup with who is already here. I'd leave Sheahan but the wingers are interchangeable. Does having Gambo and Currie on the wings change things though? I'm definitely open to trying, but I don't think they are the medicine.

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
I keep seeing these posts and I just don't get them. You really think the bottom 6 is just sleepwalking to paychecks with their careers on the line?

They don't score because they aren't good enough at this level. Plain and simple.

While I agree with your statement, these are players that throughout their careers have been able to produce even minimal point scoring, save for the guys who have never played in the NHL. Now collectively they can’t even score one goal? At the time when they should be their most desperate they as a group cannot even muster one single goal?
It’s absolutely insane to me that even the scrubbiest collection of borderline fringe group of 8-9 players can’t even muster 1 single goal through 13 games.

Oct 15, 2008
Definitely don't disagree. I was just trying to make a lineup with who is already here. I'd leave Sheahan but the wingers are interchangeable. Does having Gambo and Currie on the wings change things though? I'm definitely open to trying, but I don't think they are the medicine.

I like your lineup and completely agree, haven’t seen any redeeming qualities in that fourth line. They are passengers.

KlefDown

I adore Soli
May 2, 2014
I say bring up Benson for a few games. He's the most "seasoned" forward rookie and even if he plays 5-10 games, he'll give our bottm 6 a different look

ElysiumAB

Sep 12, 2013
Rice Noodle-Hopkins playing like he gives zero ****s. Someone should rip the A off his jersey.

Couldn't have just gone all in with Rice Noodle-Hoisins???

It's like you only put in two thirds of the required effort...... which, is actually fitting.

Reactions: frag2

Smartguy

May 3, 2010
Edmonton
Bad bottom 6 players replaced with bad bottom 6 players. Same result. I am shocked.

This X1000, everyone thinks this was the solution but Holland essentially added placeholders for our minor league plays to develop.

I had an oilers ticket rep call me mid game last night, down 2-0, she offers me some 2 game power pack to a couple games next month, for still way to much money. I tell her I haven’t been to a game in 2.5 years when I last had a power pack, which was robbery, she goes on to tell me everything’s changed and the team has turned a corner and I should come back, I’m like well they are 20 minutes away from losing a 4th straight and suddenly that hot start doesn’t look so good. She said she would check with me Thursday again and quickly hung up, I’m going to have a hilarious conversation if we lose tonight again.

Reactions: ElysiumAB

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Watch, it's probably because of some tenure bull****. Seniority thing with Klefdum.
Or McDavid and Drai said they like having him there. Klefbom is frustratingly predictable and both star players have publicly said they prefer to play with predictable players.

VanCanFanEDM

Mar 22, 2004
Edmonton
Can't believe people are crapping on Nuge after this game. A second line centre had 5 shots, 3 scoring chances, won 6 of 8 faceoffs and came within an absolute whisper of scoring on the PP. We are (rightly) super worried about bottom-9 scoring but people are crapping on Nuge of all people, who was far and away the most dangerous bottom-9 forward? Baffling.

Nugent Hopkins to me is the most important player on the team.. That second line has to be way better.. If he carries on his current pace and has a 45pt season - this season is lost. I think its time to face the facts, we need a second line center. We have a good third, he just happens to play on the second line.

Oil Dood

Sep 17, 2019

Nurse has been excellent this year. He is a big part as to why Bear has been able to transition so cleanly. Manning has likewise been alright, would not miss him but he has done ok with his role....Klefbom/Russell however have been hot garbage. It has become obvious that Klef needs a guy like Larrson on his pairing.

Oil Dood

Sep 17, 2019
Nugent Hopkins to me is the most important player on the team.. That second line has to be way better.. If he carries on his current pace and has a 45pt season - this season is lost. I think its time to face the facts, we need a second line center. We have a good third, he just happens to play on the second line.

We have one of each coming but it will take time. Lavolie and McLeod will take those roles when they are ready.
If we had decent wingers we could run McD/Drai as our 1/2. We do not have said wingers. I would propose this:
RNH/McD/Kass
Nygaard/Drai/Neal

Not great but it might work.Man do we need some better forward options.

Maybe:
RNH/McD/Chiasson
Neal/Drai/Kassian

MaxR11

Mar 28, 2017
I agree.
I dont want to steer this thread in the direction of culture just because that is such a nebulous term but there is definitely an issue with the psyche/indentity of this team and I do think that involves the young leadership group in addition to a few other things.

Regarding the leadership...its like a talented teenager that has no mentor to lean on to help him when his journey gets really tough. Sure he can sometimes figure things out for himself but that takes longer and its usually very messy.

You can also compare this team (and the leadership issue) to a business...you need to have experience to help guide the group through the inevitable difficulties that will come along.
S**t is going to happen and experience is how you deal with it quickly and effectively.

This team hasnt had that (experience) at all since Connor and Leon formed the core of the leadership group.
Its not fair to them but that was completely on Chia.

Now with Holland and Tippett I do believe that this will be addressed but it isnt a quick fix. They are looking at this team with new eyes and while thats a positive thing it also means that they need to discover things for themselves...that takes time.

That is especially true when there is no cap space to address the real flaws on the roster...once they determine the issues then they need some flexibility to make the necessary changes.
That happens next season IMO.

For now in my view this team needs to sort out some basic issues like the lack of compete that rears its head all too often after the team has had some success. While that does involve leadership it also just means that the default for the team is to bust your ass to help swing momentum back into your favor.
Instead this team collectively watches the other team do their thing and then after things get really bad they end up (as Tippeett puts it) chasing the game.
I think coaching can and will help that issue especially now that some of the toxic players have been removed.
It just involves breaking old habits and that always takes a lot of time and a ton of dedication.

That said there is a difference between being interested in change and being dedicated to change. Dedication takes time and 100% commitment. Some additional players may need to go to make sure they have 100% buy in.

Just my long winded take on things. :nod:

I just hope they rectify some underlying issues soon because i don't think it's good for Connor and Drai's development as leaders to be frustrated all the time (hard to be a good leader when frustrated) and maybe start to have disdain for those bottom 6 players who are not contributing much right now. It's great for them to take the team on their shoulders here and there but I think another part of leading is also to help raise the level of intensity and engagement and involvement of the rest of the team.... not just... "move aside and sit your a$$ on the bench pigeons, i'll take care of this".

Last edited:
Reactions: guymez

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
On the plus side Nurse and Bear continue their excellent play.

Bear had a few hiccups. But he’s a rookie and overall he’s been excellent, and he generally played well last night outside of one or two passes and getting burned by AA. The amount of crisp breakout passes he makes is noticeable every game. We got a good one with him.

Nurse was rock solid again, him and Koskinen were our best players.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad