Post-Game Talk: Nice passing boys!

gwiz999

Jul 18, 2013
Was at the game. McDavid doesn't look 'right'. His passes are off and he's been struggling to handle the puck for several games now. He was constantly being held and in the third his frustration showed.

Nurse and Kosko were the best players on the ice IMO. No urgency for the first two and a half periods from anyone on the Oilers.

Overall the crowd was pretty quiet until the third period when Wings fans started making this ungodly sound that spread through the rink several times. Sounded like an arena full of seagulls. Sure hope that's a trend that doesn't get traction league wide. LOL

Reactions: Porkleaker

Kepler 186f

Red Shifted
Dec 17, 2007
Bear had a few hiccups. But he’s a rookie and overall he’s been excellent, and he generally played well last night outside of one or two passes and getting burned by AA. The amount of crisp breakout passes he makes is noticeable every game. We got a good one with him.

Nurse was rock solid again, him and Koskinen were our best players.

Yep, Nurse has been great this year.

Reactions: snipes

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
45mzAwD.gif

Dive of the year. Larkin deserves a fine.

Last edited:

Porkleaker

Mar 19, 2017
Onterrible
Was at the game. McDavid doesn't look 'right'. His passes are off and he's been struggling to handle the puck for several games now. He was constantly being held and in the third his frustration showed.

Nurse and Kosko were the best players on the ice IMO. No urgency for the first two and a half periods from anyone on the Oilers.

Overall the crowd was pretty quiet until the third period when Wings fans started making this ungodly sound that spread through the rink several times. Sounded like an arena full of seagulls. Sure hope that's a trend that doesn't get traction league wide. LOL

Oh my god, yeah that "Wooooooo" sound, it's so f'n annoying it makes me want to punch things. I first started hearing it in MMA and the whole crowd does it, not sure where it originated from but now they're doing it in Detroit...It better not spread throughout the NHL because I might have to stop watching, it's seriously that annoying. Ahh - looking it up it originated in Europe where they do that instead of booing and apparently Americans just do it because they think it's fun. Ugh.

Reactions: gwiz999

MaxR11

Mar 28, 2017
Probably something to this. Team chemistry is a huge element to success. From past experience if you don't feel respected by your best players you don't want to go to battle for them. If you love your team mates you'll battle your ass off. Pool party leaving also shows things might not be so tight in Oilersville. Could use some character guys like Max Talbot, Darren McCarty types. Or enthusiastic young guys. Guys that transcend the hierarchy and help bring unity. Character guys. Don't see much character/enthusiasm on this team.

100% true. You can see the progressive sag in intensity and engagement and urgency from the beginning of the season to now. I do think it has something to do with Connor and Drai just dominating ice time and opportunities. It's almost like there's some attitude happening early in the season already that's like, "ok, you guys just keep the puck out of the net and we'll handle the offence. we'll take all the pp time and offensive starts and opportunities etc". They seemed to be fine and still engaged for some time but after time when they feel less valued they start to sag. One could say suck it up buttercup and go do your d*** job but sports has a lot to do with mentality and confidence and as you say feeling valued by teammates. Feeling valued goes a long way in how engaged and sharp you play.

I'm betting some of those players who were brought in or even ones who have been around in the bottom 6 are thinking, "man i don't think we're even given a real shot to produce here". I think you can see this a bit in the lack of intensity and effort in the 2nd pp unit when they come out for the last scraps of the pp (mayb 20-25 secs). And one poster who was at the game the other day said he heard Kassian say on the bench (when the 1st pp unit was on and not succeeding) "same s*** every game" to Gulutzan. I think that may be a little telling as to what the current attitude might be regarding some players not feeling valued and given a fair shot at offence.

gordonhught

Feb 18, 2009
One goal from the bottom six this season.

That is on pace for 7 goals on the season.

I bet a line of Yamamoto, Benson, and Marody would have more goals if playing as a line.

Edit: Samorukov leads Bakersfield with a +4 rating. He has no points however.

Reactions: Porkleaker

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
I keep seeing these posts and I just don't get them. You really think the bottom 6 is just sleepwalking to paychecks with their careers on the line?

They don't score because they aren't good enough at this level. Plain and simple.

I don't buy that they aren't good enough. Sheahan has had multiple double digit goal scoring seasons, Granlund as well, Archibald last season, Chiasson as well. All of a sudden these guys can't hit the broad side of a barn and don't even get scoring chances?

I don't know what it is about this place, city, market or whatever it is but unless it's an elite talent, careers seem to die here. Maybe it's the culture, the water, I don't know. I just can't figure what happens to players here but they all regress eventually. Even a top guy like Hall was regressing before getting traded, Eberle, guys like Perron, Penner, Maroon. All regressed from Year 1 to the end of their tenure here. Same with the goalies. It's all so odd.

MaxR11

Mar 28, 2017
The team better at least get the internal attitude and engagement fixed even if not completely solving the scoring depth. Playing with this recent amount of sag and lack of urgency and engagement is not only bad for the team in the standings but has detrimental effects on development of young up and comers like Ethan Bear and whom ever else they might call up in the future. Then you start recycling this bad attitude of sag and lack of resiliency and lack of mental and physical sharpness over and over and over again.... which i think has been happening for 10 years or so.

jeffff

Oct 4, 2011
I don't know what it is about this place, city, market or whatever it is but unless it's an elite talent, careers seem to die here. Maybe it's the culture, the water, I don't know. I just can't figure what happens to players here but they all regress eventually. Even a top guy like Hall was regressing before getting traded, Eberle, guys like Perron, Penner, Maroon. All regressed from Year 1 to the end of their tenure here. Same with the goalies. It's all so odd.

Too much pressure to preform.

Reactions: frag2

Porkleaker

Mar 19, 2017
Onterrible
One goal from the bottom six this season.

That is on pace for 7 goals on the season.

I bet a line of Yamamoto, Benson, and Marody would have more goals if playing as a line.

Edit: Samorukov leads Bakersfield with a +4 rating. He has no points however.

Wasn't expecting any moves on the back-to-back but hoping Tippet makes it loud and clear that at this point, basically everyone is disposable and deserves to be buried for their piss-poor efforts.
Still think they were stupid for passing on Burdasov, he didn't get enough ice time and actually looked better than 1/2 these clowns.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I don't buy that they aren't good enough. Sheahan has had multiple double digit goal scoring seasons, Granlund as well, Archibald last season, Chiasson as well. All of a sudden these guys can't hit the broad side of a barn and don't even get scoring chances?

I agree...especially with the bolded.
This bottom 6 is fine according to history so I refuse to use the last 13 games as evidence that they suddenly suck.

There is something wrong internally with this team though because there is so much that doesnt add up.
Why does this team consistently sag so badly after achieving some success?
Why does this team so often come out not ready (regardless of the coach) at the start of periods?
I keep looking for the common denominators and one of the main ones is leadership. There may be other intangibles as well. Not knowing how to win...not handling pressure very well. :dunno:
Something has to change though so hopefully Tippett can sort out what it is.

Reactions: HK97

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Did McDavid get a penalty on that one? I can't recall but that makes this ten times worse if he did.

McDavid didnt get any penalties in the game so (assuming they saw it) at least the refs werent fooled.

North

Jun 25, 2009
Did McDavid get a penalty on that one? I can't recall but that makes this ten times worse if he did.

I don’t believe he did.

I think Drai scored right after this partly because Larkin was still picking himself up off the ice.

Reactions: BlackDogg

MaxR11

Mar 28, 2017

absolutely has something to do with attitudes, leadership and culture etc. Sometimes it can be hard to get rid of that sagging culture that has been entrenched here and passed on from year to year. It becomes almost like a contagious disease. How to get it cleared and turned around is difficult to fully know. But something has to drastically change and it must be stopped.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario

I think it's just what happens when you have to dumpster dive for the majority of players on the team.

You take one guy who was the worst player in another team's 12 forward unit, add him to another guy who was the worst player in another team's 12 forward unit and another guy who was the worst player in another team's 12 forward unit, etc., etc., you're bound to end up with something that looks like this.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
So much for mixing the lines up. Very surprised he didn't junk it and go back to a couple offensive lines for the 3rd. Instead, we got a few bottom 6 guys dragging everyone down.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
This bottom 6 is fine according to history so I refuse to use the last 13 games as evidence that they suddenly suck.

There is something wrong internally with this team though because there is so much that doesnt add up.
Why does this team so often come out not ready (regardless of the coach) at the start of periods?
I keep looking for the common denominators and one of the main ones is leadership. There may be other intangibles as well. Not knowing how to win...not handling pressure very well. :dunno:

I don't know if it's leadership. Players have been regressing here for years under different team presidents, GMs, coaches, team leaders, top players and this regression continues to happen. It's not even just regression in numbers but Oiler teams always seem to play with less effort than other teams. Just watch teams in our own division for example (I try to watch as much late night hockey as possible). The Canucks, Coyotes and Ducks (who aren't overly talented) play harder, faster, more tenacious. The Oilers are dead men skating half the time, going on for years, and there's no structure to their game.

I know they need better players to state the obvious and that will certainly remedy some of the issues but there are bigger issues at play IMO and I just can't figure out what it is. It's baffling.
How does a bottom 9 go 13 games scoring only 2 even strength goals and not even come close to scoring on most nights? Come on, it's ridiculous.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton

the weakness on this team continues to be the 3C hole. Get someone in that spot that can actually play it and a lot of other pieces will fall into line.

remember, Sheahan isn’t *that* far removed from 0 goals in 79 games. Khaira had 3 last year. Gagner washed out of the league. Jurco has been an AHLer for two seasons. You’re fine wanting more but you can understand why they’ve gotten nothing. I’m most disappointed by Chiasson so far though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad