Niagara IceDogs 2021-22 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
Bruh. F that and F those guys. Just waiting for someone to say the “lots of people talk like this” defense/whataboutism. That shouldn’t matter and anyone like this needs to be purged from the game.
You're not wrong but this has been part of the sport for decades upon decades. The Burke's have an issue but the far reaching issue is it's engrained in hockey culture.

Reactions: DWI Dale

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
I'm unsure why you would move the team. They have a loyal fanbase and a new arena. I'm not sure where you could move the Dogs and have a turnkey operation.
Yeah Niagara has one of the newest rinks (if not the newest?) and a loyal fanbase. That arena fills up when the team is being operated properly (aka before the Nepotism).

If you wanted to move a team (to say Brantford?) you would move it from a less profitable location, not a more profitable one.

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
Doubt there moving lease is solid no decent arena in Branford and Hamilton May block a move.
Yeah. It would be foolish to move the team. Solid fan base, arena, close to Buffalo and the US to help recruit kids. It’s a franchise built for success the only area it’s lacking is ownership. He ain’t moving it to a viable location in Brantford anytime soon.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
You're not wrong but this has been part of the sport for decades upon decades. The Burke's have an issue but the far reaching issue is it's engrained in hockey culture.
These guys aren't really a product of the culture. At least not Joey. They are spoiled rich kids who got handed a team. These guys had no business in operations, and anyone dumb enough to write that in an open communication is a complete moron. In reality, these guys would be lucky to get a bird dog scouting job from any other OHL team where they essentially work for passion in the hope to get a break.

No idea on Brantford, but I've heard some big pockets are trying to buy with significant NHL clout. And, given the numbers thrown around, I'd be surprised to see them moved if it actually ends up being 20m even if they are assuming debt. The only area I think would be appealing to them is Northern GTA (Vaughan/Durham), but there is no area, and good luck finding the land to build that right now. I see the Brantford guy being thrown around, but I don't know how he can finance 20m on it, so maybe the NHL connected guys are just backers/minority partners.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mcnotloilersfan

BadgerBruce

Aug 8, 2013
I’m going out on a limb here and suggest that the 24 month suspensions of Billy and Joey make a team sale less likely, not more likely.

Bill and Denise put family first — their kids are even minority owners of the team. Today, Billy and Joey are utterly unemployable in the hockey world, but in 24 months (or conceivably less, if their suspensions are shortened via appeal to the league or the courts), they can return. If I had to make a wager right now, my money would lean to Bill and Denise waiting this out until the kids are paroled, can resume their former roles, and try to salvage their reputations.

Obviously, I could be very wrong and the family might just take the big money (with the two boys getting their share) and walk away. But based on what I know about the parents, I’ve a feeling this is no longer the most likely outcome.

Last edited:

Dog Fan

Apr 22, 2017
I’m going out on a limb here and suggest that the 24 month suspensions of Billy and Joey make a team sale less likely, not more likely.

Bill and Denise put family first — their kids are even minority owners of the team. Today, Billy and Joey are utterly unemployable in the hockey world, but in 24 months (or conceivably less, if their suspensions are shortened via appeal to the league or the courts), they can return. If I had to make a wager right now, my money would lean to Bill and Denise waiting this out until the kids are paroled, can resume their former roles, and try to salvage their reputations.

Obviously, I could be very wrong and the family might just take the big money (with the two boys getting their share) and walk away. But based on what I know about the parents, I’ve a feeling this is no longer the most likely outcome.
I can understand your point of view and you might be right. There is so much smoke here regarding a sale, I think it is sold already and the Burke's are waiting for the end of the season to make the announcement. I find it interesting that it took the league so long to announce the suspension when they were served with the email in early March and awaited until early April to announce the suspensions and fines. I believe it gave the Burke's an opportunity to sell before the investigation would savage the team value.

Reactions: three dog night

Buttsy

Jul 28, 2015
London
We have heard before statements about these things being a "hockey culture" issue. I'm not convinced Razor I believe it's a "society cultural" issue in my mind. We see it connected to hockey so much in this country because the sport has such a massive fan base in Canada. Far more widespread of an issue then to pigeon hole it in my mind. Hockey is no more guilty or less guilty then the rest of society.

BadgerBruce

Aug 8, 2013
That was one of the most cliche ridden "sorry we got caught" statements Ive ever read. :rolleyes:
Yup. Kinda like this:

“I can’t believe some members of the media are calling us racist. We are NOT racist — we ARE misogynistic and sexist and homophobic. And only when we are angry and speaking privately and candidly with male employees. Oh, and we’ve never done this before.”

I think that pretty much sums things up.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
Yup. Kinda like this:

“I can’t believe some members of the media are calling us racist. We are NOT racist — we ARE misogynistic and sexist and homophobic. And only when we are angry and speaking privately and candidly with male employees. Oh, and we’ve never done this before.”

I think that pretty much sums things up.

We aren't racist we have many friends of different colors and ethnic origins.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto

In Joey's case they were already unemployable in the hockey world as anything but maybe a courtesy part-time scout who has to work a regular full-time job. He's been the joke of the league for years.

three dog night

May 3, 2014
Icedogs lost today to Kingston 10 to 5 only four defence men dressed fir the game it was fairly close game till the last few minutes of period two. 4,781 fans watched the game at the Meridian Centre today. Next game Friday in Hamilton .

Bra Wavers

Feb 19, 2016
Icedogs lost today to Kingston 10 to 5 only four defence men dressed fir the game it was fairly close game till the last few minutes of period two. 4,781 fans watched the game at the Meridian Centre today. Next game Friday in Hamilton .
it's one thing to be down 2 forwards, but it's so tough playing with only 4D

Scored the cheeseburger goal though, so that was good :thumbu:

Reactions: three dog night
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad