Niagara Ice Dogs 2018-19 Season Thread (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GangGreen

May 27, 2012
In lieu of recent events regarding the cheating of the IceDogs, one would think the OHL Collective would have some fresh material to brand its t-shirt operations.

Perhaps we could offer some slogan suggestions.

Blame London

#BornCheaters

Why Us?

I haven’t had a chance to make it over to the Ice Dogs forum yet, but I’m sure the consensus is that this a Branch-London conspiracy to take the Ice Dogs down.

Gotta love the Soo fan who claims London openly pay their American players. How do the the Greyhounds recruit their American players?
The Greyhounds openly pay their Americans 5 figure amounts. See how easy that is?

Reactions: dirty12

BadgerBruce

Aug 8, 2013
We are unlikely to arrive at a meeting of the minds on this issue, but I do genuinely appreciate the civility several posters are bringing to the discussion. Thank you for this.

Please allow me to clarify my position. It’s a bit complex so your patience would be appreciated.

Tomorrow (February 17, 2019) is the 5th anniversary of Terry Trafford’s last Ontario Hockey League game with the Saginaw Spirit. 2 weeks later, his dead body was found inside his pickup truck in a Michigan Wal-Matt parking lot. Trafford had all of his personal belongings in that truck and $450 in cash that his father had given him.

He’d been missing for 9 days, deceased for at least 7.

In the years following this horrific tragedy — one for which nobody was fined, suspended, or punished with the forfeiture of future draft picks — the CHL partnered with the Canadian Mental Health Association (CMHA) to offer Talk Today, a multi-faceted program primarily designed to help CHL players in mental health distress.

When the program hit full stride in 2016, here is what the CMHA said in the joint press release:

“Talk Today helps address an important concern of which hockey players are not immune. The number of 12- to 19-year-olds at risk for depression is a staggering 3.2 million. Suicide is the second-leading cause of death for young Canadians between the ages of 10 and 24. And 70 per cent of mental health problems are onset during childhood or adolescence.”

Here is what the CHL said in the same press release:

“The CHL, which includes the Ontario Hockey League (OHL), Western Hockey League (WHL) and the Quebec Major Junior Hockey League (QMJHL) work hard to continually review, refine and improve their individual/unique player experiences, the hallmark of which is each league’s comprehensive post-secondary scholarship and education program. Our world class player experience also includes the highest calibre coaching and training facilities, extensive health and safety initiatives, anti-doping, out-of-pocket expense reimbursement, equipment, billeting and travel costs, and mentoring programs that support our players whether they continue to their hockey career at the professional level or pursue their education at a post-secondary institution of their choice.”

CHL and CMHA partner to launch mental health program – CHL

Please read both statements again.

The CMHA draws attention to the “depression epidemic” across North America and the staggering number of young people who need help.
The CHL draws attention to its post-secondary education scholarship program, which they trumpet twice in a press release about mental health initiatives.

A 16 year-old kid doesn’t need a post-secondary education scholarship program when he’s in psychological distress.

A 16 year old boy doesn’t need the highest calibre coaching and training facilities when the stress becomes overwhelming.

He needs his parents because only his parents can be trusted to put his best interests first.

Now, nearly every time a CHL team is penalized by the league for breaching player recruitment policies — none of which are ever published — the heart of the matter ends up being the player’s parents. 9 times out of 10 we learn that a team arranged to pay for the parents to see their child in whatever distant locale he is based.

If this is a violation of league policy, that policy needs to change.

Yes, I appreciate the assertion that some CHL clubs are more financially capable than others to foot the bill for flights or other forms of long distance transportation so that the players can see their parents a few times each season. But in my view, the so-called “playing field” is most responsibly “levelled” by adjusting the policies upward instead of insisting on a policy-driven low standard. This is simply the right thing to do when one oversees minors.

One last word: many years ago, back when 16 year olds could still legally drive without restrictions across Canada, I knew a CHL player with a very young sister born with spinal bifida. This young man, along with his entire family, devoted themselves to providing her with the love and care she deserved.

The young man’s mother was very clear with the team that selected her son in the annual priority selection: unless you provide him with the limited use of an automobile so that he can come home to see his sister once every 2 weeks, he won’t report. Family means more than junior hockey, she told the club.

The team agreed and the player was an important part of the club for several seasons. But this “side agreement” surely violated league policy and there’s no doubt in my mind that the punishment would have been very harsh if the league knew.

But why shouldn’t the league have known, and why shouldn’t the league have supported this “perk,” given the circumstances?

To my mind, the CHL and its 3 leagues are free to punish teams that hand over suitcases stuffed with cash or Mustang convertibles. But punishing teams for using their financial wherewithal to help preserve the mental health of players by periodically reuniting them with their parents and immediate family is ethically wrong.

Otto

Lynch Syndrome. Know your families cancer history
We are unlikely to arrive at a meeting of the minds on this issue, but I do genuinely appreciate the civility several posters are bringing to the discussion. Thank you for this.

Please allow me to clarify my position. It’s a bit complex so your patience would be appreciated.

Tomorrow (February 17, 2019) is the 5th anniversary of Terry Trafford’s last Ontario Hockey League game with the Saginaw Spirit. 2 weeks later, his dead body was found inside his pickup truck in a Michigan Wal-Matt parking lot. Trafford had all of his personal belongings in that truck and $450 in cash that his father had given him.

In the years following this horrific tragedy — one for which nobody was fined, suspended, or punished with the forfeiture of future draft picks — the CHL partnered with the Canadian Mental Health Association (CMHA) to offer Talk Today, a multi-faceted program primarily designed to help CHL players in mental health distress.

When the program hit full stride in 2016, here is what the CMHA said in the joint press release:

“Talk Today helps address an important concern of which hockey players are not immune. The number of 12- to 19-year-olds at risk for depression is a staggering 3.2 million. Suicide is the second-leading cause of death for young Canadians between the ages of 10 and 24. And 70 per cent of mental health problems are onset during childhood or adolescence.”

“The CHL, which includes the Ontario Hockey League (OHL), Western Hockey League (WHL) and the Quebec Major Junior Hockey League (QMJHL) work hard to continually review, refine and improve their individual/unique player experiences, the hallmark of which is each league’s comprehensive post-secondary scholarship and education program. Our world class player experience also includes the highest calibre coaching and training facilities, extensive health and safety initiatives, anti-doping, out-of-pocket expense reimbursement, equipment, billeting and travel costs, and mentoring programs that support our players whether they continue to their hockey career at the professional level or pursue their education at a post-secondary institution of their choice.”

The CMHA draws attention to the “depression epidemic” across North America and the staggering number of young people who need help.
The CHL draws attention to its post-secondary education scholarship program, which they trumpet twice in a press release about mental health initiatives.

A 16 year-old kid doesn’t need a post-secondary education scholarship program when he’s in psychological distress.

A 16 year old boy doesn’t need the highest calibre coaching and training facilities when the stress becomes overwhelming.

He needs his parents because only his parents can be trusted to put his best interests first.

Now, nearly every time a CHL team is penalized by the league for breaching player recruitment policies — none of which are ever published — the heart of the matter ends up being the player’s parents. 9 times out of 10 we learn that a team arranged to pay for the parents to see their child in whatever distant locale he is based.

Yes, I appreciate the assertion that some CHL clubs are more financially capable than others to foot the bill for flights or other forms of long distance transportation so that the players can see their parents a few times each season. But in my view, the so-called “playing field” is most responsibly “levelled” by adjusting the policies upward instead of insisting on a policy-driven low standard. This is simply the right thing to do when one oversees minors.

One last word: many years ago, back when 16 year olds could still legally drive without restrictions across Canada, I knew a CHL player with a very young sister born with spinal bifida. This young man, along with his entire family, devoted themselves to providing her with the love and care she deserved.

The young man’s mother was very clear with the team that selected her son in the annual priority selection: unless you provide him with the limited use of an automobile so that he can come home to see his sister once every 2 weeks, he won’t report. Family means more than junior hockey, she told the club.

The team agreed and the player was an important part of the club for several seasons. But this “side agreement” surely violated league policy and there’s no doubt in my mind that the punishment would have been very harsh if the league knew.

But why shouldn’t the league have known, and why shouldn’t the league have supported this “perk,” given the circumstances?

To my mind, the CHL and its 3 leagues are free to punish teams that hand over suitcases stuffed with cash or Mustang convertibles. But punishing teams for using their financial wherewithal to help preserve the mental health of players by periodically reuniting them with their parents and immediate family is ethically wrong.
I stopped reading when you contradicted yourself. If "none of the issues are ever published" then how do you know that "9 out of 10 are due to paying for parents to visit"?
And we know of Portland, Windsor, snd Niagara ... the latter two nothing has officially come out about.. only fan Speculation... but who are the other 7 teams that make up the "10"

Drop the Puck

Apr 28, 2016
I haven’t had a chance to make it over to the Ice Dogs forum yet, but I’m sure the consensus is that this a Branch-London conspiracy to take the Ice Dogs down.

Pages and pages of comical relief. Have a seat and bring your toilet paper with you.
It’s a joke, it’s all the Knights fault. It must be awful to be an Ice Dogs fan, but, I don’t feel sorry for them. Over 10 plus years of faulsly accusing the Knights of cheating, now this. Lol.
I should have some fun tomorrow afternoon.

GangGreen

May 27, 2012
Anyone who puts their kids through competitive hockey, especially in the GTA should be able to afford to visit their kids every so often.

Obviously Denmark to Portland is extreme, but there’s cases all the time where European players don’t see their family during the season.

Reactions: Otto

BadgerBruce

Aug 8, 2013
I stopped reading when you contradicted yourself. If "none of the issues are ever published" then how do you know that "9 out of 10 are due to paying for parents to visit"?
And we know of Portland, Windsor, snd Niagara ... the latter two nothing has officially come out about.. only fan Speculation... but who are the other 7 teams that make up the "10"

Please re-read my post. My claim is that the player recruitment policies are not published. Poor sentence construction on my part. Apology for the confusion.

Reactions: three dog night

MoWanchuk1

Feb 18, 2017

That’s fine go ahead and draft whoever you want, make that deal, forfeit the $250,000 and 2 1sts and feel good ..others will play by rules

Millpond

Dec 5, 2015
Anyone who puts their kids through competitive hockey, especially in the GTA should be able to afford to visit their kids every so often.

I know of a circumstance where a player was recruited, he was from GTA, his parent did not have the financial wherewithal to provide basic equipment, let alone travel and visit.

This was many years ago, and the player had a successful junior hockey career, University degree, and long professional career.

I have absolutely no idea if the team paid for visits, or not.

Otto

Lynch Syndrome. Know your families cancer history
Please re-read my post. My claim is that the player recruitment policies are not published. Poor sentence construction on my part. Apology for the confusion.
Again... you say 9 out of 10 times its because of the parents.... we know of three teams... who are the other 7 out of 10... and how do you know the reasons when nothing but Speculation about the incidents in Ontario has occurred?

youngblood10

Jan 26, 2010
If a team paying for a kids parents to visit & other perks of the such make for an uneven playing field. How in the same breath does a team sending it's players to a private school in which the team has a financial agreement with not act in the same advantageous manner?
Shouldn't all student athletes attend publicly funded schools in order to level the playing field?

And what is the mechanism to start an investigation, are all teams equally audited or some teams targeted while others are not?

This league is so full of corruption & hypocrisy it's rather comical watching from the outside. As long as they're cashing checks & making bank, it will never change.

Reactions: OSA

Knights Watcher

Jan 7, 2018

As much as I agree with your position on the situation these young players have to deal with, your argument is spoken like a true Dogs fan. While I agree with preserving the mental health of these young athletes as much as possible, the bottom line is that, regardless of how out of touch the regulations are and how the entire CHL sees their athletes solely as commodities, there are regulations in place and rules are rules and Niagara broke those rules and should be punished. If this were London in the same situation, the entire organization from the Hunters on down would be raked through the coals without any benefit of doubt or due process, regardless of the situation. So please spare me the excuse that Niagara did this out of benevolence or for the good of the athlete. They are not the Martyrs you so want to believe they are. They broke the rules! And as embarrassing, humiliating and costly this is for the franchise they will forever be labelled as Cheaters. Sometimes karma is a bitch after years and years of the entire league (including the Ice Dogs) accusing the Knights of cheating without any iota of proof or evidence, the chickens have come home to roost and currently they will be roosting smack dab in the middle of the Meridian Centre. No excuses. No arguments. No rationalization. No debate. No sympathy. The Ice Dogs are now proven Cheaters! Thank you for allowing me to speak my peace.

Last edited:

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017
Marty Williamson just followed me and liked my tweet about how Burke blamed it all on him but was at his side the whole time. Ouuuuu

Attachments

• E973234B-4AFD-4069-9B2E-A2C847CE62A8.png
    E973234B-4AFD-4069-9B2E-A2C847CE62A8.png
    208.2 KB · Views: 88
Reactions: SebJHockey

youngblood10

Jan 26, 2010
You Knights fans are rich, you don't have any more of an idea if London is playing by the rules any more than a fan of a sanctioned team did. Maybe tomorrow, next week, next month or next year you get yours. Unless you truly believe London is above reproach.

Drop the Puck

Apr 28, 2016
You Knights fans are rich, you don't have any more of an idea if London is playing by the rules any more than a fan of a sanctioned team did. Maybe tomorrow, next week, next month or next year you get yours. Unless you truly believe London is above reproach.

I believe that you are missing the irony behind this entire farce.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
Just an outside (so to speak) opinion - yes, proof is always required for this kind of thing, but I think fans are in denial if they believe it's JUST Windsor/Niagara that are doing it. Could it be London? Definitely. Could it be other teams? Of course. The "it's just Windsor and Niagara unless you got hard proof" idea is tiresome. It's like saying people don't speed unless you see them and they get caught. We KNOW people speed. Some are caught. Others aren't. Denying that stuff is happening is just amusing.

BadgerBruce

Aug 8, 2013
As much as I agree with your position on the situation these young players have to deal with, your argument is spoken like a true Dogs fan. While I agree with preserving the mental health of these young athletes as much as possible, the bottom line is that, regardless of how out of touch the regulations are and how the entire CHL sees their athletes solely as commodities, there are regulations in place and rules are rules and Niagara broke those rules and should be punished. If this were London in the same situation, the entire organization from the Hunters on down would be raked through the coals without any benefit of doubt or due process, regardless of the situation. So please spare me the excuse that Niagara did this out of benevolence or for the good of the athlete. They are not the Martyrs you so want to believe they are. They broke the rules! And as embarrassing, humiliating and costly this is for the franchise they will forever be labelled as Cheaters. Sometimes karma is a ***** after years and years of the entire league (including the Ice Dogs) accusing the Knights of cheating without any iota of proof or evidence, the chickens have come home to roost and currently they will be roosting smack dab in the middle of the Meridian Centre. No excuses. No arguments. No rationalization. No debate. No sympathy. The Ice Dogs are now proven Cheaters! Thank you for allowing me to speak my peace.

Wow.

First, I’m not a Dogs fan. While I won’t swear this on a stack of bibles, I don’t believe that I’ve ever posted here before. Having said this, I’m not an Ice Dogs hater, either. I’m a supporter of junior hockey players wherever they live and play.

Secondly, I’ve not stated that the Ice Dogs, specifically, acted out of benevolence. I do not know this to be the case.

Finally, the only over-arching point I tried to make is this: Junior Hockey operators under the CHL umbrella should, individually and collectively, strive to tangibly support the players and their families by encouraging frequent contact when parents live far away.

Nothing more.

Drop the Puck

Apr 28, 2016
Just an outside (so to speak) opinion - yes, proof is always required for this kind of thing, but I think fans are in denial if they believe it's JUST Windsor/Niagara that are doing it. Could it be London? Definitely. Could it be other teams? Of course. The "it's just Windsor and Niagara unless you got hard proof" idea is tiresome. It's like saying people don't speed unless you see them and they get caught. We KNOW people speed. Some are caught. Others aren't. Denying that stuff is happening is just amusing.

I find several things about this amusing. Cheating isn’t one of them.

sbpointer

Sep 15, 2014
Budweiser Gardens

If London is so surely cheating like most of you like to believe then I propose this. Next Friday night as a preemptive measure we will all drop 25 bucks at the door for a fine fund... The Knights don't need the first round picks anyway because they just draft first round players later that won't report anywhere else anyway... Problem solved.

Sorry I forgot the mention of course the money will be put in trust because nobody is ever going to find anything. After that some London charity can benefit from 225000. If you guys are all right then I guess Mark and Dale will have to cough up 25k of their own money :naughty:

TuckerFan1

Jul 14, 2012
Oshawa
The Ice Dogs are gonna need to win it all this year to tide that fan base over. Just wondering if three dog will continue to update us on attendance numbers when the dogs are basement dwellers for the next 3-4 seasons?

Reactions: sbpointer

three dog night

May 3, 2014
It is vague what Niagara did or didn’t do just some violation the Leauge has to come out with a better explanation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad