Status
Not open for further replies.

Digable5

Buffalo Proton (Positively Charged)
Feb 23, 2004
West Seneca
Senor Rational said:
HS then you throw in Heatley, Luongo, Lecavieler, Richards, etc... :help:
Here's my 5 not including guys who are already all-stars in the league like Luongo, Kovalchuk, etc...Some may be considered stretches, but I'm also considering other things then pure point scorer's.

Ovechkin, Weiss, Eriksson
Komisarek, Kalinin
Schwarz

DarkHorse

Go Banana!
Jul 15, 2003
If you're talking about the next generation of "stars", you have to include Rick DiPietro.

-Cocky
-American
-Good looking
-In New York
-Talented

He's got all the ingredients to become a "star"

degroat*

felixd said:
A journeyman no.1 goalie who has never won anything?

I'm glad someone finally pointed that out. I keep hearing people saying he's going to be the next Sean Burke and I just don't get why they're excited about that. Yea... he had a few good years, but for most of his career he was an average starter.

st_roland

BIGROCKET said:
OH...i see....what was I thinking....oh yeah...kind of like the same way Martin Brodeur couldn't compare to Trevor Kidd. Dubnyk has the potential to be the best goalie.....every goalie has that potential. That is the thing with prospects, some of them don't show their true colors (skills) until years down the road. So yeah actually, Dubnyk could be the best goalie prospect out there.

The point is, at this point, he isn't as highly rated to reach his potential as the other big name prospects(i.e. Fleury, Lehtonen, Ouellet, Emery, Toivonen). :help:

Crusher20

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
ShadowL said:
He didn't vanish in the playoffs, I don't know what the hell your talking about. He scored a nice OT goal in the 2nd game and had a strong first 4 games. The last 3 weren't great, but the whole team blew...

Bergeron IMO, will be a star player in the NHL. He doesn't have elite skills, but he has skills nonetheless to have at least a few PPG seasons. The best thing about Bergeron's potential though is how well of an overall game he's going to have. Future great leader IMO too, will have the ability to lead a team to the Cup. Definite playoff performer.

I also want to make this clear about Bergeron, he will max out his potential whatever it maybe, this guy is a true player. He's the closiest thing to an young Yzerman right now.

Bergeron sophmore slump... I don't think so, no way...

Bergeron is a less skilled Simon Gagné but WAY more physical and intense player.. and yes he does have skills maybe not star skills but not far from there.. this kid is still 18 i believe.. give him some time, he seem to adapt so fast despite not even having an incredible career in the LHJMQ. I predict Bergeron multiple 60-70pts season while being eventually a player who intimidates the other teams. and that is coming from a habs fan.

Mizral

Sep 20, 2002
Earth, MW
Visit site
Of course, you look at some of the top picks in Ovechkin, Crosby, and Brule whom will I suspect be something like a bigger Mogilny, a Forsberg, and an Yzerman respectively.

Then you've got some of the top prospects of today. Kari Lehtonen who in my mind is the best goaltender to have come along as a prospect since Jose Theodore. Zach Parise, Ryan Suter, and Dion Phaneuf seem like three guys who could really carry the way for the 'new NHL' if the CBA ever gets resolved.

However, I think the banner will be carried by Kovalchuk. This kid I feel is just above everyone else - that goes for Heatley, Gaborik, Nash, and even goaltender counterparts in Luongo, Lehtonen, or Fleury, and defenseman counterparts in Pitkanen, Bouwmeester, and Kalinin. I think he has the potential to perhaps be put in the same sentence as Gretzky, Lemieux, Orr, and Howe. I'm not sure if he has the off-ice personality to be an ambassador for the game (well, Jagr learned after a while there), but on-ice, I feel he's got the skill Pavel Bure, the surliness of Mark Messier, the size of Todd Bertuzzi, and the passion of Steve Yzerman. The kid just burns with intensity, and he, to me, embodies the 'old spirit' of hockey players such as Howe and Richard moreso than any other player today.

Enoch

This is my boomstick
Jul 2, 2003
Cookeville TN
Jay Thompson said:
Of course, you look at some of the top picks in Ovechkin, Crosby, and Brule whom will I suspect be something like a bigger Mogilny, a Forsberg, and an Yzerman respectively.

Then you've got some of the top prospects of today. Kari Lehtonen who in my mind is the best goaltender to have come along as a prospect since Jose Theodore. Zach Parise, Ryan Suter, and Dion Phaneuf seem like three guys who could really carry the way for the 'new NHL' if the CBA ever gets resolved.

However, I think the banner will be carried by Kovalchuk. This kid I feel is just above everyone else - that goes for Heatley, Gaborik, Nash, and even goaltender counterparts in Luongo, Lehtonen, or Fleury, and defenseman counterparts in Pitkanen, Bouwmeester, and Kalinin. I think he has the potential to perhaps be put in the same sentence as Gretzky, Lemieux, Orr, and Howe. I'm not sure if he has the off-ice personality to be an ambassador for the game (well, Jagr learned after a while there), but on-ice, I feel he's got the skill Pavel Bure, the surliness of Mark Messier, the size of Todd Bertuzzi, and the passion of Steve Yzerman. The kid just burns with intensity, and he, to me, embodies the 'old spirit' of hockey players such as Howe and Richard moreso than any other player today.

I agree with this post in its entirety.

st_roland

Jay Thompson said:

Even though the kid isn't on my club, I hope everything you predicted comes to pass. It'd be good for the game. I think he's even more skilled than Bure, if thats possible.

Senor Rational

Feb 11, 2004
St. Louis
Jay Thompson said:

Dont forget his skills...he could be as dominate as gretzky. He just keeps getting better and better. He's like Jagr x's 15

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
Senor Rational said:
Dont forget his skills...he could be as dominate as gretzky. He just keeps getting better and better. He's like Jagr x's 15
He's easily the game best young player, but not comparable to Jagr(in his prime) yet. Once Kovalchuk wins an art ross with Kip Miller and Jan Hrdina as his linemates, or even wins an art ross, you can compare them. I'm very impressed with his skating and shooting, but his playmaking skills are leagues behind Jagr's. And no, he will not be as dominant as Gretzky.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Lehtonen32 said:
Kovalchuk, Horton, Bouwmeester, Lehtonen, Ovechkin.

And thats just from the Southeast :joker:

indeed, for as much as our division lacks right now (but what division does the current champ currently reside in... HA!) it possibly has the brightest future as far as prospect depth goes with guys like you listed above as well as Mike Green, Cam Ward, Ladd, Olesz, Staal, Coburn... I could keep going but the Southeast definitely shaping up and may be a force within 5 years.

moosefan

Feb 27, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Jay Thompson said:

OMG :lol ...I don't think in my right mind I would compare Kovalchuk to Gretzky, Orr, Lemieux or Howe. Kovalchuk is one of the best young players in the league but in those 4 players league he is not. Crosby IMO has the ability to be way better than Kovalchuk but right now in the NHL I think Kovalchuk could be ONE of the best young players in the league but with Orr, Gretzky, Mario and Howe that is just :loony:

Lafontaine2Mogilny

Sep 2, 2004
Jay Thompson said:

I don't know too much about Ovechkin or Brule...never saw them play until Ovechkin in World Cup. Crosby I can see being the next Brad Richards, but more physical...If you guys had Jagr in your keeper pool would you trade him for Ovechkin?? :cheers:

CRAZY_FAN

Aug 26, 2002
Quebec
canada99 said:
I don't know too much about Ovechkin or Brule...never saw them play until Ovechkin in World Cup. Crosby I can see being the next Brad Richards, but more physical...If you guys had Jagr in your keeper pool would you trade him for Ovechkin?? :cheers:

If Crosby turns into a Brad Richards a lot of peoples on this board are going to be disapointed...Has for trading Jagr to get Ovechkin, with the possible lockout and the fact that Jagr is not getting any younger, I would do that without hesitating...

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
Jay Thompson said:

Hopefully I won't spin it to an Ovechkin discussion, but... the quote does raise a question.

Hmm... Ovechkin as a bigger Mogilny, that's interesting. I kinda think he'll have more of a physical game then the underperforming Russian Alexander[read, some of his time with the Canucks ]. If the WC games he played were any example, he's certainly not afraid to take the body. And he certainly is hard to get off his feet (unless he's turning :shakehead ) But... I'm not sure that appraisal works. For one thing, Ovechkin's not going to be as polished of a sniper, as far as wrist shot and slapper skills are concerned. While I think he'll get his goals with the best of them, I think he's going to earn just as many points on the goalies doorstep as he will in the intermediate shot range which is where Mogilny feasts upon. If you want to compare players, if anything, I think Alexander Semin reminds some more of Mogilny, both in having a quick release, a lot of flash and flair, and also being somewhat of an enigma. A poor man's Mogilny, but similar. However, neither direct comparisons.

Just as I'm not sure the Crosby and Brule accountings work as well. I don't think comparisons really work. Younger players may "look like others" in facets of their games, but they're not exact copies. They may eventually end up getting simlar numbers, but to say they're like, is difficult at best. For another, Crosby better start working harder on his defensive game if he wants to equal Forsberg. And I'm not sure if Brule'll be ready to step in and take over the Captaincy and the teams identity like Yzerman did.

trahans99

Apr 7, 2004
Home of the 2005 Memorial Cup
DarkHorse said:
If you're talking about the next generation of "stars", you have to include Rick DiPietro.

-Cocky
-American
-Good looking
-In New York
-Talented

He's got all the ingredients to become a "star"

Being American is not an ingredient of becoming a star, but of course an American would say that.

Mizral

Sep 20, 2002
Earth, MW
Visit site
Chimaera said:
Hopefully I won't spin it to an Ovechkin discussion, but... the quote does raise a question.

Hmm... Ovechkin as a bigger Mogilny, that's interesting. I kinda think he'll have more of a physical game then the underperforming Russian Alexander[read, some of his time with the Canucks ]. If the WC games he played were any example, he's certainly not afraid to take the body. And he certainly is hard to get off his feet (unless he's turning :shakehead ) But... I'm not sure that appraisal works. For one thing, Ovechkin's not going to be as polished of a sniper, as far as wrist shot and slapper skills are concerned. While I think he'll get his goals with the best of them, I think he's going to earn just as many points on the goalies doorstep as he will in the intermediate shot range which is where Mogilny feasts upon. If you want to compare players, if anything, I think Alexander Semin reminds some more of Mogilny, both in having a quick release, a lot of flash and flair, and also being somewhat of an enigma. A poor man's Mogilny, but similar. However, neither direct comparisons.

Just as I'm not sure the Crosby and Brule accountings work as well. I don't think comparisons really work. Younger players may "look like others" in facets of their games, but they're not exact copies. They may eventually end up getting simlar numbers, but to say they're like, is difficult at best. For another, Crosby better start working harder on his defensive game if he wants to equal Forsberg. And I'm not sure if Brule'll be ready to step in and take over the Captaincy and the teams identity like Yzerman did.

Comparables are never 100%, and I don't pretend for them to be. The Mogilny comparison to Ovechkin, I confess, I had trouble finding a good one to compare Alexander to and just slipped Mogilny's in there hoping nobody would call me on it ;)

However, since you did, you're right it's not a very good comparison. I once compared Ovechkin to a bigger Joe Sakic, and I think it works. Off ice, Ovechkin is a very shy person like Sakic, and both have ridiculous wrist shots and 'complete' games. The only difference I might see is that I'm not sure Ovechkin is quite the off-ice leader Sakic is, and the size difference obviously.

As for Crosby to Forsberg, the media is making this comparison lately because of the way Crosby fends off the puck, and I like it. A better one might be Pat Lafontaine though.

Brule to Yzerman fits for me. Brule is that leader I feel, and he plays a very gritty, skilled game. Perhaps the biggest similarity for me though is their shot. Brule has one of the most accurate, unassuming shots you'll ever see in your life. Yzerman did too for years. Brule can pick corners with slap shots from anywhere in the offensive zone, and Stevey Y has always had that ability. Remember that goal Yzerman scored in like, 1998 where he literally scored on the goal line? I remember that was a big highlight goal for years. Pretty sure it's on one of the Don Cherry tapes.

As for Mogilny, I think the best comparison is Zherdev. Zherdev plays a LOT like Mogilny. Sniper with smooth moves, great skater, and a hell of a passing game too.

f1nn

Jan 12, 2004
Espoo, Finland
BIGROCKET said:
OH...i see....what was I thinking....oh yeah...kind of like the same way Martin Brodeur couldn't compare to Trevor Kidd. Dubnyk has the potential to be the best goalie.....every goalie has that potential. That is the thing with prospects, some of them don't show their true colors (skills) until years down the road. So yeah actually, Dubnyk could be the best goalie prospect out there.

yeah, and Paul Gaustad could turn out as good as Wayne Gretzky :joker:

moosefan

Feb 27, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
CRAZY_FAN said:
If Crosby turns into a Brad Richards a lot of peoples on this board are going to be disapointed...Has for trading Jagr to get Ovechkin, with the possible lockout and the fact that Jagr is not getting any younger, I would do that without hesitating...

Sorry replied to the wrong post, I was responding to the post you did.

You have never seen Crosby play live then. I have seen both come up through the junior rankes, Richards in his 3 years with Rimouski and Crosby with Midget AAA here in Halifax and with Rimouski last year, WHat I can say is that even though Richards is a great playmaker he does not have Crosby's vision and smarts on the ice. RIchards plays the game with great smarts and vision but it is not comparable to Crosbys play. Crosby is more gritty, a harder shot, more accurate shot, faster skater, more agile, way more gritty, stronger on the puck and on the ice, Crosby plays with an edge. Crosby has the best IQ on the ice since and I am going to say it, he has the best IQ since Gretzky in knowing where everyone is and how the play unfolds on the ice.

The comparison to Richards is very very far off IMO. He PLAYS LIKE Forsberg, with the sense that he fends guys off the puck, not scared to take a hit to make a play, goes to the net, plays gritty in the corners and has a great two-way work ethic. RIchards might have had 186 points or something like that in one year, but the league was wide open hockey then, now the defense is cracking down and the game style has changed a bit, if a player gets 180 points now in the QMJHL his offensive skills are just crazy now.

IMO Richards will be a point a game player in the NHL, Crosby has the potential to be a 120 to 150 points scorer and that is with the low scoring in the NHL, he has that much offensvie upside.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
Jay Thompson said:
Comparables are never 100%, and I don't pretend for them to be. The Mogilny comparison to Ovechkin, I confess, I had trouble finding a good one to compare Alexander to and just slipped Mogilny's in there hoping nobody would call me on it ;)

However, since you did, you're right it's not a very good comparison. I once compared Ovechkin to a bigger Joe Sakic, and I think it works. Off ice, Ovechkin is a very shy person like Sakic, and both have ridiculous wrist shots and 'complete' games. The only difference I might see is that I'm not sure Ovechkin is quite the off-ice leader Sakic is, and the size difference obviously.

As for Crosby to Forsberg, the media is making this comparison lately because of the way Crosby fends off the puck, and I like it. A better one might be Pat Lafontaine though.

Brule to Yzerman fits for me. Brule is that leader I feel, and he plays a very gritty, skilled game. Perhaps the biggest similarity for me though is their shot. Brule has one of the most accurate, unassuming shots you'll ever see in your life. Yzerman did too for years. Brule can pick corners with slap shots from anywhere in the offensive zone, and Stevey Y has always had that ability. Remember that goal Yzerman scored in like, 1998 where he literally scored on the goal line? I remember that was a big highlight goal for years. Pretty sure it's on one of the Don Cherry tapes.

As for Mogilny, I think the best comparison is Zherdev. Zherdev plays a LOT like Mogilny. Sniper with smooth moves, great skater, and a hell of a passing game too.

Have you met Ovechkin?

Seriously?

I have. And I'll put it this way, since it's late, I've had a few, and well, I'm tired. You're wrong. While not exactly talkative, in some sorts, he's not shy, or quiet. Meeting him in person at the Capitals Draft Party and at the Draft (I even met him in the bathroom when he stood one urinal over... I didn't say anything I'm not that kinda person...) he's not shy at all, even if English isn't his best language.

Porn*

Mar 6, 2002
In your nightmares
Nash
Horton
Ovechkin
Malkin
Fleury
Lehtonen
PM Bouchard
Tootoo
Upshall