OT: NHL14 and/or General Video Gaming Thread Part I

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carolinas Identity*

I'm a bad troll...
Jun 18, 2011
Calgary, AB
Currently just have a 360, I've been all over the gamut of gaming though and am still undecided on the next generation as to which direction I'll go. I'm not on much for the sports gaming anymore (only NCAA and FIFA now) as I used to be so that's killed most of my online gameplay.

But in terms of the consoles I've had:
Intellivision (sold)
NES (sold - stupid move)
Game Boy
Genesis (still have somewhere I think)
XBox
XBox 360

I basically sat out the PS1/Sega Saturn/N64 generation of consoles mostly as a PC gamer in the first part of the generation and a broke ass college student in the last part. It wasn't until the next generation that consoles became the better outlet anyway IMO, and I still didn't get back into that game until late in the 4th generation when I got out of college.

Want one? I've got a few extra :)

Also, this watch is pretty sick, though I wish it came in Centipede or Battle Zone :D

Carolinas Identity*

I'm a bad troll...
Jun 18, 2011
Calgary, AB
Year 4 of my Be A GM. This team just went 52-18-12 (we were something like 4-12 in OT + SO, so good to know even when this team is dominant, it still sucks in OT :laugh:) and won the President's Trophy by 13 points. JR should think about doing this IRL :D

Anyway, on to the Playoffs :)

Thomas Vanek//Eric Staal//Alexander Semin
Jeff Skinner//Jordan Staal//Elias Lindholm
Nathan Gerbe//Emerson Etem//Jan Murask
Jared Staal//Petteri Nokelainen//Patrick Dwyer

Aaron Ekblad//Justin Faulk
Ron Hainsey//Chad Ruhwedel
Aleksi Laakso//Anthony DeAngelo

Anton Khudobin
Brian Elliot

6.52m in free cap space as well (which is a lot lower than it should be. Cap is 74m in my game)

SCanedinavian

Sep 13, 2011
Edinburgh, Scotland
What killed the XboxOne for me is the lack of backwards compatibility. I've got so many 360 games, it seems wasteful to buy a new system where they can't be used.

In non-Xbox/PS news, Nintendo is shutting down the servers that provide the Internet connections for the DS and the Wii. Talk about killing your fanbase. The 3DS is selling well, but the WillU is a complete disaster. Most people just kept the Wii instead. This is a slap in the face to their consumers.

Between this, taking down Lets play videos, and their all round terrible online systems, Nintendos online strategy seems to be to fail as much as possible.

As for games I have recently got back into Diablo 3, they really got their act together with the latest patch, and the stuff being added with the expansion looks great.

tomdundo

Sep 11, 2011
Raleigh
Finished simulating my first season, with a WCF loss to the eventual Cup champion Kings.

I made (a variation of) the Seguin-Eriksson deal to make Virtual Chiarelli happy.

Going into the following year with:

Benn(88)-Seguin(87)-Briere(82)
MacArthur(83)-Filppula(85)-Peverley(81)
Clowe(82)-Eakin(82)-Chiasson(79)
Wandell(77)-Fiddler(78)-Sceviour(76)

McDonagh(88)-Seidenberg(87)
Daley(85)-Brewer(82)
Dillon(81)-Oleksiak(80)

Lehtonen(85)
Campbell(76)

Weak as all hell on RW, but I'll try to mess around with what I can. That top D pairing though.:yo:

TheOllieC

cajun filet
Jul 12, 2013
Charlotte, NC
^ Try to pick up Valentin Zykov before he develops. He turned into like a 89 OVR for me and had a 50G season on my top line RW.

tomdundo

Sep 11, 2011
Raleigh
^ Try to pick up Valentin Zykov before he develops. He turned into like a 89 OVR for me and had a 50G season on my top line RW.

I just looked into this. It would probably mean trading Oleksiak+ to get Zykov. Not sure what to make of that idea.

Oddly enough, Zykov ended up on the Oilers :laugh:

EDIT: My damn assistant coach keeps changing the forward lines to this

MacArthur-Benn-Briere
Clowe-Seguin-Filppula
Sceviour-Eakin-Chiasson
Fiddler-Peverley-Wandell

EDIT 2: And now MacArthur is scoring ALL the goals. I'm okay with this, actually.

Last edited:

Carolinas Identity*

I'm a bad troll...
Jun 18, 2011
Calgary, AB
Now that all the dust has settled from deadline day, I started a new GM game with the updated rosters. I did some tweaking of the lines and such not and pulled off this blockbuster with Vancouver. Wonder if it could work IRL?
:teach::walrus:

:nucks

Ward
Tlusty
Rask
Murphy
2014 1st

:canes

Kesler
Edler
Markström

Lines look like this:

Eric Staal//Jordan Staal//Alexander Semin
Jeff Skinner//Ryan Kesler//Elias Lindholm
Nathan Gerbe//Andrei Loktionov//Patrick Dwyer
Matt Cooke//Manny Malhotra//Jared Boll

Andrej Sekera//Justin Faulk
Alexander Edler//Ron Hainsey
Alec Martinez//Brett Bellemore

Anton Khudobin
Jacob Markström

This team went 47-28-7, good enough for 1st in the East and 3rd over all (9 points behind San Jose and 5 behind Anaheim) and I have something crazy like 12.1m in cap space.

tomdundo

Sep 11, 2011
Raleigh
Entering season 3 with the lineup below. Yes, I traded Benn...he was injured for about half the past season and his rating/value dropped a good bit. Picked up Yakupov for him.

MacArthur(83)-Seguin(89)-Yakupov(86)
Glencross(83)-Filppula(84)-Stafford(83)
Raymond(81)-Eakin(82)-Chiasson(78)
Gordon(78)-Peverley(81)-Sceviour(78)

McDonagh(88)-Seidenberg(86)
Daley(84)-Brewer(81)
Dillon(82)-Roszival(80)

Lehtonen(86)
Campbell(79)

Last edited:
Dec 30, 2013
What killed the XboxOne for me is the lack of backwards compatibility. I've got so many 360 games, it seems wasteful to buy a new system where they can't be used.

In non-Xbox/PS news, Nintendo is shutting down the servers that provide the Internet connections for the DS and the Wii. Talk about killing your fanbase. The 3DS is selling well, but the WillU is a complete disaster. Most people just kept the Wii instead. This is a slap in the face to their consumers.

Meh. Online play for the Wii was craptastic at best. The WiiU just lacks big games, which it [should] be getting this year. Once Mario Kart and Super Smash Bros comes out for the WiiU I doubt it will be in any tough spot. Also, the Legend of Zelda game coming out should help as well, assuming it releases this year.

tomdundo

Sep 11, 2011
Raleigh
Last update of the day/night. I promise.

Entering season 4:

Tanguay(84)-Seguin(87)-Yakupov(85)
MacArthur(83)-Filppula(85)-Purcell(84)
Raymond(81)-Eakin(83)-Rychel(80)
Klingberg(79)-Boyle(78)-Some Finnish guy(79)

McDonagh(88)-Seabrook(89)
Seidenberg(86)-Dillon(84)
B. Stuart(83)-Beauchemin(82)

Varlamov(84)
Campbell(81)

nobuddy

Oct 13, 2010
Nowhere
Just did a fantasy draft and came out of it with this fairly ridiculous team:

Penner-Giroux-Semin
Sedin-Sedin-Williams
Cooke-Vermette-Zubrus
Comeau-Regin-Reaves

Staal-Seidenberg
M. Stuart-R. Murray
Bortuzzo-R. Murphy

Niemi
Stalock

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Backstory: Every year I buy the new NHL game because I love Be A GM mode. I love the idea of managing, building, trading, growing prospects, etc. More and more I find myself simming entire seasons, because at this point I beat Superstar difficulty by 5 or more goals every time I play and while it's nice to have guys win the Art Ross, Hart, and Richard trophies every year, it's just not all that realistic.

Question: EHM 2007. I know several of you play and have generally very good things to say. For the most part, it seems like it offers a far better team-managing experience than the EA NHL games. However, it also seems like it's somewhat difficult to acquire a legal copy anymore. Anyone have any insight as to how to do that? Apparently they stopped making it because of piracy, and I'm a big proponent of giving money where money is due, especially when it's a good product like EHM 2007 seems to be.

Also, if they've stopped making it, even if I do acquire a copy and give them what they're due, will I get updated rosters? Do they still keep up with that, or is that more of a "gamer-managed" aspect now?

Any insight as to how I can start playing this game is greatly appreciated, thanks!

the halleJOKEL

strong as brickwall
Jul 21, 2006
twitter.com
good luck finding a retail copy

you can download all kinds of updated crap for the game, but none of it is "official" seeing as the ehm side of sports interactive shut down years ago

tomdundo

Sep 11, 2011
Raleigh
Not sure if my body is ready for Dark Souls 2 tomorrow but it's coming whether it is or not.

I'm scrambling to beat Dark Souls before I go buy that tomorrow...and this last boss is a pain in the ass.:help:

EDIT: As of 1:02, I still haven't beaten him yet. I'm about to rage hard.

Last edited:

tomdundo

Sep 11, 2011
Raleigh
After about 5 total hours running through the area before the boss and the final boss himself...with countless fails....

I went in and did it almost perfectly all of the sudden. I'm now officially ready for Dark Souls 2.

the halleJOKEL

strong as brickwall
Jul 21, 2006
twitter.com
have to wait for the pc release. needs to hurry up.

hopefully there isn't anything with as much framerate stuttering as blighttown had on the 360/ps3 version of dark souls.

tomdundo

Sep 11, 2011
Raleigh
have to wait for the pc release. needs to hurry up.

hopefully there isn't anything with as much framerate stuttering as blighttown had on the 360/ps3 version of dark souls.

Blighttown didn't have as much of an issue as Lost Izalith did for me. The giant lava pits made that place both very hard on the eyes and very difficult to navigate due to dat framerate.

tomdundo

Sep 11, 2011
Raleigh
anor londo and sen's fortress are the best part of that game

Sen's Fortress was my favorite location BY FAR. Incredible atmosphere in that place. After that, I'd probably agree on Anor Londo. Nothing else in particular stood out as being head and shoulders above the rest like Sen's Fortress did, though.

Least favorite place is Blighttown AINEC.

NorthStar4Canes

Oct 12, 2007
I've pretty much given up on video games. Too many boring first person shooter or fiddling with sports games, and not enough where you get to wipe out entire cities with nuclear weapons. It could be my age. At this stage in life it's more fitting that I make large "big picture" decisions with my finger on a button with the power to rain hellfire down on entire populations, annihilating them and every other living thing and zombies, than on a trigger where I can only take out mere dozens one by one depending on how many rounds I have.

Also, there aren't enough games where if you are running around trying to kill stuff with various weaponry that give you a flamethrower option. I mean really, if youre being chased/attacked by waves of the undead or whatever, of course the first thing you'd reach for is the nearest flamethrower to douse the lot of them with sticky napalm but the game designers try to unrealistically hamstring you by not offering what you can find in almost anyone's mud room or basement.

Last edited:

the halleJOKEL

strong as brickwall
Jul 21, 2006
twitter.com
I've pretty much given up on video games. Too many boring first person shooter or fiddling with sports games, and not enough where you get to wipe out entire cities with nuclear weapons. It could be my age. At this stage in life it's more fitting that I make large "big picture" decisions with my finger on a button with the power to rain hellfire down on entire populations, annihilating them and every other living thing and zombies, than on a trigger where I can only take out mere dozens one by one depending on how many rounds I have.

Also, there aren't enough games where if you are running around trying to kill stuff with various weaponry that give you a flamethrower option. I mean really, if youre being chased/attacked by waves of the undead or whatever, of course the first thing you'd reach for is the nearest flamethrower to douse the lot of them with sticky napalm but the game designers try to unrealistically hamstring you by not offering what you can find in almost anyone's mud room or basement.

stop playing games on consoles if you want access to different genres

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad