NHL Vegas and AHL Chicago dissolving affiliation; VGK buys AHL San Antonio (upd BOG approved)

Centrum Hockey

Aug 2, 2018
Look up the history of the Chicago Wolves. Their owners existed and thrived for a very long out of spite towards Blackhawks owner Bill Wirtz. They can’t be forced to sell and they’ve been very blatant and public about not selling and not having an interest in selling.
It doesn't mean they can operate without an affiliate.It does seem like they are trying to engineer something so they don't end up with STL they might not be successful though.

Last edited:

Barclay Donaldson

Feb 4, 2018
Tatooine
It doesn't mean they can operate without an affiliate.It does seem like they are trying to engineer something so they don't end up with STL they might not be successful though.

St. Louis won’t operate without an affiliate. No one else is willing to share their farm and no one will let their prospects receive less time to let a rival team’s prospects develop. They’ll get together unhappily baring some major change.

Reactions: Centrum Hockey

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg

I knew this was a possibility, some people didn't believe me. But the thing is Florida owns the Thunderbirds, so St. Louis would likely have to buy that AHL team and move it within the Missouri area.

Think if the Florida Panthers were affiliated with the Wolves they would be together for a very long time.

Barclay Donaldson

Feb 4, 2018
Tatooine
I knew this was a possibility, some people didn't believe me. But the thing is Florida owns the Thunderbirds, so St. Louis would likely have to buy that AHL team and move it within the Missouri area.

Think if the Florida Panthers were affiliated with the Wolves they would be together for a very long time.

Completely untrue. Springfield Thunderbirds are owned by a diverse and very dedicated group of local businessmen. Getting to know the Thunderbirds' ownership group

It's not a possibility. That guy has been established as an unreliable source with his recent false claims and wildly inaccurate takes.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg

Barclay Donaldson

Feb 4, 2018
Tatooine
I think I thought that because they re-located from Portland, Maine.

Nope, local group bought the Portland Pirates to move to Springfield after a previous guy let the Coyotes exercise a contractual clause allowing them to relocate the Falcons for a price. The local ownership group is mentioned in this article from today talking about the Thunderbirds affiliating with the Blues: Thunderbirds change AHL affiliations, announce deal with St. Louis Blues 2024-25

sh724

Jun 2, 2009
Missouri
Speculation: - Chris Johnston: Panthers ownership gives Tallon directive to cut 10 million in salary for next year

Seems that very rich owner only cares about his money, not the franchise.

If the finances won't work at Florida ---> relocate to Quebec or Houston.

If the owner only cares about his money its even more reason for him not to sell or relocate the team. The arena the Panthers play in is pretty busy and very profitable. Viola has the arena management contract as a byproduct of owning the Panthers. If the Panthers relocate he loses the arena management contract.

While the team may lose money the overall operation is quite profitable, because of that the Panthers are going no where despite how people all over the internet feel

Barclay Donaldson

Feb 4, 2018
Tatooine
Seems like that unreliable source actually knows more then you think.

He's been preaching that the Kansas City and Lamar Hunt Jr. are going to join the AHL since 2010. He also said that Rockford was getting bought and sold by the Blackhawks to Vegas. Lots of other outrageous stuff if you go back a year or two in his Twitter feed. Just like Darren Dregger: If you spitball enough, eventually you get something right.

axecrew

Feb 6, 2007
He's been preaching that the Kansas City and Lamar Hunt Jr. are going to join the AHL since 2010. He also said that Rockford was getting bought and sold by the Blackhawks to Vegas. Lots of other outrageous stuff if you go back a year or two in his Twitter feed. Just like Darren Dregger: If you spitball enough, eventually you get something right.

:laugh:...ok...you win...he knows nothing...just because something didn't happen doesn't mean that he was wrong. The Lamar Hunt story was 100% correct...that was the plan until Hunt said he wouldn't subsidize the move with st. louis paying basically nothing.
But whatever...you keep holding on to what you know...but if you're so confident that what you know is right...how come you don't "break" these stories? BTW other people have since come out citing NHL SOURCES and confirming the rumor he reported to be true according to their NHL SOURCES...but I'm fairly confident they are also 100% wrong when they say that Chicago will end up with Carolina...except if you'll remember I said that WAY back in early feb and was told by tarheel that the relationship between Carolina and Charlotte was fantastic and above the dignity of this rumor mongering and that it made no sense since they had established this unbreakable bond and magnificent regional footprint for all things Hurricane. So I apologize and stand corrected...BTW where is tarheel right now...I would think he would have some fantastic insight into all of this...

Barclay Donaldson

Feb 4, 2018
Tatooine
:laugh:...ok...you win...he knows nothing...just because something didn't happen doesn't mean that he was wrong. The Lamar Hunt story was 100% correct...that was the plan until Hunt said he wouldn't subsidize the move with st. louis paying basically nothing.
But whatever...you keep holding on to what you know...but if you're so confident that what you know is right...how come you don't "break" these stories? BTW other people have since come out citing NHL SOURCES and confirming the rumor he reported to be true according to their NHL SOURCES...but I'm fairly confident they are also 100% wrong when they say that Chicago will end up with Carolina...except if you'll remember I said that WAY back in early feb and was told by tarheel that the relationship between Carolina and Charlotte was fantastic and above the dignity of this rumor mongering and that it made no sense since they had established this unbreakable bond and magnificent regional footprint for all things Hurricane. So I apologize and stand corrected...BTW where is tarheel right now...I would think he would have some fantastic insight into all of this...

If what he said was going to happen didn't happen, then he was incorrect. There were three separate "NHL sources" that said the Kansas City would have AHL hockey in the Spring Center (at least that's what this guy said: CANTLON’S CORNER: EXCLUSIVE – AHL CHANGES FOR 2017-2018 ABOUT TO UNFOLD). Usually people are wrong if they say something will happen and it doesn't happen. At least that's how it usually works. So the people who said that the Earth will get hit by planet Nibiru in 2003 were right because it would have happened if the planet showed up? That seems to be your logic here.

NHL sources have been very wrong before. Remember all of the "NHL sources" that were predicting the NHL accepting Québec City to the NHL only to have the league defer the bid. I'll really only trust Bob McKenzie and Pierre LeBrun along with a few others. The rest report news that has just as much of a chance of being wrong as it has of being right. You forget the reliable sources reporting Indianapolis to AHL?

axecrew

Feb 6, 2007
If what he said was going to happen didn't happen, then he was incorrect. There were three separate "NHL sources" that said the Kansas City would have AHL hockey in the Spring Center (at least that's what this guy said: CANTLON’S CORNER: EXCLUSIVE – AHL CHANGES FOR 2017-2018 ABOUT TO UNFOLD). Usually people are wrong if they say something will happen and it doesn't happen. At least that's how it usually works. So the people who said that the Earth will get hit by planet Nibiru in 2003 were right because it would have happened if the planet showed up? That seems to be your logic here.

NHL sources have been very wrong before. Remember all of the "NHL sources" that were predicting the NHL accepting Québec City to the NHL only to have the league defer the bid. I'll really only trust Bob McKenzie and Pierre LeBrun along with a few others. The rest report news that has just as much of a chance of being wrong as it has of being right. You forget the reliable sources reporting Indianapolis to AHL?

Did he say st louis to springfield? When did he say it? Back in early Feb. Are you going to issue a mea culpa if florida goes to charlotte and carolina to chicago?

Barclay Donaldson

Feb 4, 2018
Tatooine
Did he say st louis to springfield? When did he say it? Back in early Feb. Are you going to issue a mea culpa if florida goes to charlotte and carolina to chicago?

I'll say he got something right after he got a lot of stuff wrong. Getting things very right, which he might have done here, does not washout him getting things very wrong. A good act does not wash out the bad, nor a bad act the good. Like many people supposedly plugged into NHL sources, the more darts they through, the higher the chance they get something right.

Reactions: Mud the ACAS

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
There will be holy hell raised by me if the Canes move their AHL operations to Chicago. The fact that those rumors haven't been squashed yet worries me that they are legit.

No 5 Hole

Mar 8, 2020
There will be holy hell raised by me if the Canes move their AHL operations to Chicago. The fact that those rumors haven't been squashed yet worries me that they are legit.
I have it from someone in the Carolina organization that the Canes affiliate will be Chicago. With today's news does Florida move it's affiliate to Charlotte if the Canes and the Wolves to indeed parter. Rumor has it that the Checkers owner is very difficult to work with, that Nashville kicked the tires with him. If I had to put money on it, I would say the Canes go to the Wolves.

axecrew

Feb 6, 2007
I have it from someone in the Carolina organization that the Canes affiliate will be Chicago. With today's news does Florida move it's affiliate to Charlotte if the Canes and the Wolves to indeed parter. Rumor has it that the Checkers owner is very difficult to work with, that Nashville kicked the tires with him. If I had to put money on it, I would say the Canes go to the Wolves.

This can't be true...if it is that would mean that myself and others would be right and that would cause the heads of some people on here to explode

varano

Jun 27, 2013
The AHL needs to expand a team and leave chicago holding the bag. Its very clear that the NHL is moving to this model of having and owning their AHL teams near by.

JMCx4

Censorship is the Sincerest Form of Flattery
Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
This can't be true...if it is that would mean that myself and others would be right and that would cause the heads of some people on here to explode
OK, well then, let's just get this over with right here & now so we can all move on ...

exploding-head-e1575281170659.jpg

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
The AHL needs to expand a team and leave chicago holding the bag. Its very clear that the NHL is moving to this model of having and owning their AHL teams near by.

AHL isn't going to expand beyond 32 teams. The number of AHL teams = the number of NHL teams.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
the only way for that to occur is for Chicago to violate a league bylaw, for financial gain.... forcing the AHL to seize the franchise for termination purposes..... much like the Texas Stars being a 'conditional franchise' and then Iowa was seized for an illegal scheme where you cannot leverage a franchise for financial purposes

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
This would be correct if all AHL teams were really located near their NHL partner. They're not.

AHL isn't going to expand beyond 32 teams. The number of AHL teams = the number of NHL teams.
Correct. Nothing says the AHL couldn't expand; it just doesn't make any sense for the AHL to do so.

The grant of a franchise provides significant latitude in how the franchise gets run. People (not you) seriously misunderstand the notion of just revoke the franchise and give it to someone else like it's some kid's toy that can be taken away for some tempter tantrum. They don't understand all the potential ramifications that would fall out of such a decision. People who own franchises do; they realize an action taken against someone else for "we don't like what you're doing" could just as easily be the same action taken against them. They also don't understand the legal fights that would ensue if a league tried to just yank a franchise for "we don't like what you're doing."

NHL teams don't have to affiliate with an AHL team; it's just better if they do for player development. Chicago, Charlotte, whoever else may be difficult to deal with. They may put their interests ahead of the NHL team they affiliate with. That's still not a sufficient reason for the AHL to decide to kick a franchise out.

Reactions: axecrew

varano

Jun 27, 2013
the only way for that to occur is for Chicago to violate a league bylaw, for financial gain.... forcing the AHL to seize the franchise for termination purposes..... much like the Texas Stars being a 'conditional franchise' and then Iowa was seized for an illegal scheme where you cannot leverage a franchise for financial purposes
That's fine. Expand and let them find their own talent.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
That's fine. Expand and let them find their own talent.
not expanding.... League bylaw dictates a PDC......HAS been since the early 1990s, that's why you don't see independents in the AHL, IT usually backfires off and on ice..... Chicago ownership and its fanbase knew that from the days of the 2001 merger granting the Wolves the rights to switch leagues, like you've seen with other transfers, the Checkers, and most recently the Colorado Eagles

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad