NHL Vegas and AHL Chicago dissolving affiliation; VGK buys AHL San Antonio (upd BOG approved)

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
Some of the previous news posted in the AHL SOTL thread.

Golden Knights to part ways with Chicago, Wolves official says

Saturday 2/1, Chicago official announces the AHL Wolves won't be affiliated with VGK next season.

Various articles indicate that VGK has been talking to owners of a couple of AHL franchises about purchase and relocation. (AHL wants sale to happen "soon" so they can incorporate that in their 2020-21 schedule.)

(VGK has their ducks in a row in Las Vegas. 1-2 seasons to play in the Orleans arena, former home of the ECHL Wranglers. And plans for an arena perhaps in Henderson. Probably named "Henderson Silver Knights".)

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
Makes more sense to bring the AHL team closer to where the NHL team plays. Vegas to Chicago is a 3 1/2 hr. flight.

Good part about it being there are lots of flights from Vegas to Chicago and that's still a short flight. Three hour flight when the Moose and Canucks were affiliates.

But I know that Vegas will purchase what is likely Stockton or the Devils affiliate. But the kicker here is the whole reason teams are affiliated with the Wolves are the direct flights. Calgary has some direct flights but not a lot like Vegas or Atlanta did, I think the Devils are the best fit overall because there are always flights from Newark to Chicago which less than a three-hour flight. The Canucks were roped into being affiliated with them.

The Chicago Blackhawks will never be affiliated with the Chicago Wolves.

Clinton Comets EHL

Feb 18, 2014
Good part about it being there are lots of flights from Vegas to Chicago and that's still a short flight. Three hour flight when the Moose and Canucks were affiliates.

But I know that Vegas will purchase what is likely Stockton or the Devils affiliate. But the kicker here is the whole reason teams are affiliated with the Wolves are the direct flights. Calgary has some direct flights but not a lot like Vegas or Atlanta did, I think the Devils are the best fit overall because there are always flights from Newark to Chicago which less than a three-hour flight. The Canucks were roped into being affiliated with them.

The Chicago Blackhawks will never be affiliated with the Chicago Wolves.
The Devils make no sense at all. Bingo a short ride from Newark. Devils own their AHL franchise. Bingo runs business end only.

Never mind direct flights, what about short trips.

Devs make no sense at all, can't see it.

Reactions: oknazevad

Centrum Hockey

Aug 2, 2018
The Devils make no sense at all. Bingo a short ride from Newark. Devils own their AHL franchise. Bingo runs business end only.

Never mind direct flights, what about short trips.

Devs make no sense at all, can't see it.
Bingo also agreed to cover all losses in order to keep the AHL in the city the devils have no reason to end the agreement because there is no downside to keeping the team there.

Last edited:

Barclay Donaldson

Feb 4, 2018
Tatooine
Perhaps UNLV could play at the Henderson arena if/when it is built.

Arena is not their biggest issue, it’s Title IX and scholarship funding. UNLV is still waiting on $20 million or so in donations. Until they find a way around those two issues, put them next to the 20 other schools within the last 10 years to be linked with a move to NCAA D1 and never come anywhere close.

Reactions: DaveG

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
Perhaps UNLV could play at the Henderson arena if/when it is built.

They currently play out of CNA (VGK practice facility). They actually have a somewhat dedicated lockerroom too.

Both CNA and future Henderson facility (and any arena) are miles from UNLV campus. (I haven't calculated whether CNA in Summerlin is closer than potential Henderson location to campus.)

David Dennison

I'm a tariff, man.
Jul 5, 2007
Grenyarnia
Blues and San Antonio are in year 2 of 5 of their deal, Blues were previously the Wolves affiliate.

Florida, Nashville, and Tampa don't own their AHL teams (at least as of a few years ago) and would arguably have better logistics from Chicago.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
That sucks for the Texas Stars . Now completely on an Island in the AHL .

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012

So colorado moving to central division then or vegas AHL remaining in central?

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
They won't expand.
But probably relocate a lame duck.
My bet is on the Ottawa Senators.

Why move ottawa out west when they can keep them in the same division and put them in quebec and not mess with alignment.

But seriously though as it related to the topic. Vegas had no choice and that's unfortunately and something that's beyond any one of our control. If Chicago wolves' owner was being reasonable and actually was developing vegas' players instead of being in a must win games idea. This move would never had been necessary.

Martin Veillette

Feb 19, 2019
Why move ottawa out west when they can keep them in the same division and put them in quebec and not mess with alignment.

But seriously though as it related to the topic. Vegas had no choice and that's unfortunately and something that's beyond any one of our control. If Chicago wolves' owner was being reasonable and actually was developing vegas' players instead of being in a must win games idea. This move would never had been necessary.

Simply because the NHL doesn't want QUEBEC CITY. But they would welcome with open arms another Texas team.
HOUSTON or even maybe AUSTIN.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad