NHL, Turner Sports reach 7 year TV deal for games on TNT, TBS

Status
Not open for further replies.

OG6ix

Apr 11, 2006
Toronto
Those puck soup guys get it when they talk about how to do a studio show. Thank god Puck Daddy is at ESPN. NBC catered to people who they thought were potentially watching which ended up catering to no one.

Reactions: ChompChomp

NextBigThing

Feb 25, 2010
Devine Rink

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami
Yeah but that's for a couple of weeks, now we're talking about months or maybe a whole network change. It's different but i think Turner can get around these stuff until 2022 when the new MLB kicks in and they get their first NBA/NHL playoffs. Those months from march to june are going to be huge for TNT/TBS.

It’s probably best for everyone to make a move in September/October ahead of the NHL season and be done with it. Just moving it to TBS makes the most sense. Then they have two weeks of interruptions all year because of the MLB playoffs in October. And it may not even be that as one of those Wednesdays would be a Game 5 of the division series (so it may not even happen) and the other could be one of the LCS day games TBS has to air. Other than that there would be no interruptions as ESPN would have Wednesday night playoff rights for the NHL (and TNT airs NBA on Wednesdays for the playoffs). As is AEW has to move for about a month because of the NBA playoffs. For AEW it may make more business sense for growth to make the one time switch but then have consistency from there out than having to bounce around on the regular.

That said I’m sure AEW will try to leverage the situation to get something extra from Turner.

Last edited:

Kirk Van Houten

May 7, 2019
It’s probably best for everyone to make a move in September/October ahead of the NHL season and be done with it. Just moving it to TBS makes the most sense. Then they have two weeks of interruptions all year because of the MLB playoffs in October. And it may not even be that as one of those Wednesdays would be a Game 5 of the division series (so it may not even happen) and the other could be one of the LCS day games TBS has to air. Other than that there would be no interruptions as ESPN would have Wednesday night playoff rights for the NHL (and TNT airs NBA on Wednesdays for the playoffs). As is AEW has to move for about a month because of the NBA playoffs. For AEW it may make more business sense for growth to make the one time switch but then have consistency from there out than having to bounce around on the regular.

That said I’m sure AEW will try to leverage the situation to get something extra from Turner.

They have a second show waiting to debut for like a year now so they might put that on air after Turner makes the whole schedule clear.

He Lied to Mario

May 16, 2009
WHA pushed them more than WHL
It was the WHL that was part of the reason that the NHL did the second 6 expansion in 1967. There were concerns that the WHL and/or AHL could form a second major league. The WHA wasn't around until 1972.

The WHA did cause the Islanders to come into the league as an expansion team to fight against the New York WHA team.

Spydey629

Jan 28, 2005
Carlisle, PA
This may be obvious, but I am going to ask it anyway...

Turner's rotation will basically work out to one major championship a year, correct? NCAAs next year, Stanley Cup in 2023, yaddda, yadda, yadda...

Reactions: kombayn

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I’ve probably posted this 3 or 4 times but I’ll say it again. Advertisers don’t value wrestling fans. The vast majority of them are uneducated, unemployed, and have little to no disposable income. It doesn’t matter how many viewers the wrasslin show gets or what the demo is because it attracts weak advertisers. Even if the NHL gets lower ratings, the networks will still choose hockey because of the significantly higher ad rate.

Don’t take this personally. There are exceptions and you could be one.
Vast majority are ‘unemployed?’ You know they sell things right?

IU Hawks fan

They call me IU
Dec 30, 2008
NW Burbs
Something else the national media has overlooked - AT&T OWNS Turner and all the Warner properties and DirecTV

Time will tell but I think this is a good deal for US hockey fans.
When you think about it, this is really the whole deal.

1 Telecom behemoth taking the rights from another. Vertical integration at its finest.

One just added a really nice product to its streaming service. Half of the Stanley Cup Playoffs will soon be sold the same way the Premier League and Champions League are on other services.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
When you think about it, this is really the whole deal.

1 Telecom behemoth taking the rights from another. Vertical integration at its finest.

One just added a really nice product to its streaming service. Half of the Stanley Cup Playoffs will soon be sold the same way the Premier League and Champions League are on other services.

The AT&T factor has been overlooked but they are signing the checks.

The other thing of note, NBC knew exactly what the NHL was worth.

Meanwhile, Comcast will still make money on the NHL simply by selling local ads on cable in many NHL cities.

Last edited:

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
So ultimately, how does this work for cord cutters without a VPN? How many games of their local team could one expect to see if they have no access to a regional sports network, and blackout rules apply for streaming services?

National exposure is great, but ultimately I only care what it would cost me to watch <X> games of <Team Y> per year (or per month, if you prefer).

Kirk Van Houten

May 7, 2019
This may be obvious, but I am going to ask it anyway...

Turner's rotation will basically work out to one major championship a year, correct? NCAAs next year, Stanley Cup in 2023, yaddda, yadda, yadda...

Yes with one NBA, NHL and MLB conference finals series every year

Reactions: Spydey629

GreenHornet

Mar 3, 2011
Norcross, GA
It was the WHL that was part of the reason that the NHL did the second 6 expansion in 1967. There were concerns that the WHL and/or AHL could form a second major league. The WHA wasn't around until 1972.

The WHA did cause the Islanders to come into the league as an expansion team to fight against the New York WHA team.

Indeed, the '72 expansion to the Island and Atlanta was a pre-emptive strike against the WHA.

danderson400

May 21, 2015
Bettman is likely glad he wont have to worry about NBC preempting games for horse racing or SNL anymore.

OG6ix

Apr 11, 2006
Toronto
Bettman is likely glad he wont have to worry about NBC preempting games for horse racing or SNL anymore.

I always hated how they would schedule before the Preakness like if the NHL is going to be a good segway into horse racing. Talk about being behind the times. They should have just scheduled games later in the day or not at all.

DaBadGuy7

Dec 28, 2004
Newark,NJ
I always hated how they would schedule before the Preakness like if the NHL is going to be a good segway into horse racing. Talk about being behind the times. They should have just scheduled games later in the day or not at all.

They actually did have Game 5 of ECSF Blue Jackets-Bruins following the Kentucky Derby. It got a very good rating too. So NBC was smart enough to do that in that instance.

Reactions: JelloPuddyPops

OG6ix

Apr 11, 2006
Toronto
They actually did have Game 5 of ECSF Blue Jackets-Bruins following the Kentucky Derby. It got a very good rating too. So NBC was smart enough to do that in that instance.
Ya I remember that and wondered why they didn't just do that to begin with. I know there are people who liked their coverage I just thought that it wasn't anything special where you get into bed with for 10 years and shoot yourself in the foot when, it seems, tv money was at its peak.

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami
NBC was basically forced to put the playoff games in primetime because of the 2013 lockout delaying the postseason to where they had to because of other conflicts. Then they ratings weren’t terrible and they kept doing that since.

One of the negatives with the new tv deals is those prime tv slots are gone. ESPN/ABC airs NBA on the weekends and the NBA will get the primetime slot like they doing with the regular season there. Turner is obviously cable only.

The derby/Preakness conflicts are gone, but the late round afternoon playoff games are back.

Reactions: Spydey629

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
NBC was basically forced to put the playoff games in primetime because of the 2013 lockout delaying the postseason to where they had to because of other conflicts. Then they ratings weren’t terrible and they kept doing that since.

One of the negatives with the new tv deals is those prime tv slots are gone. ESPN/ABC airs NBA on the weekends and the NBA will get the primetime slot like they doing with the regular season there. Turner is obviously cable only.

The derby/Preakness conflicts are gone, but the late round afternoon playoff games are back.
Late-round afternoon playoff games never left. In 2019, both conference finals had afternoon games.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad