NHL, Turner Sports reach 7 year TV deal for games on TNT, TBS

Status
Not open for further replies.

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami
Late-round afternoon playoff games never left. In 2019, both conference finals had afternoon games.

I meant the Saturday night slot. Obviously the Sunday afternoon spot (which is actually a prime slot) stayed. That Sunday slot is probably gone as well.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I meant the Saturday night slot. Obviously the Sunday afternoon spot (which is actually a prime slot) stayed. That Sunday slot is probably gone as well.
Depends how it shake out I guess. ABC usually does the premiere NBA game on Saturday night, I think? At least they did for a while during that Golden State Warriors run. And then a slate on Sunday. They may consider a NHL/NBA Sunday doubleheader

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami
Depends how it shake out I guess. ABC usually does the premiere NBA game on Saturday night, I think? At least they did for a while during that Golden State Warriors run. And then a slate on Sunday. They may consider a NHL/NBA Sunday doubleheader

My best guess is NHL gets a late (3pm eastern slot) Saturday slot on ABC, with the NBA getting primetime. I can’t see an NHL/NBA double header on Sunday’s because you can’t put the NHL first because the possibility of long overtimes. Late afternoon is more valuable and that is when NBA has some of it’s Game 7s.

A general rule I think is Turner gets the weekend coverage (Friday, Saturday, Sunday, save Saturday afternoon slot for ABC) and ESPN goes mid week with Monday, Tuesdays and Wednesdays. Sunday nights will have to be TBS as TNT has Sunday night NBA rights, but ESPN has Sunday Night Baseball. Thursday goes to ESPN round 1 and Turner round 2.

This is basically the reverse of how the NBA rights are split (where Turner gets Sunday-Wed/Thus, and ESPN gets the weekend).

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
My best guess is NHL gets a late (3pm eastern slot) Saturday slot on ABC, with the NBA getting primetime. I can’t see an NHL/NBA double header on Sunday’s because you can’t put the NHL first because the possibility of long overtimes. Late afternoon is more valuable and that is when NBA has some of it’s Game 7s.

A general rule I think is Turner gets the weekend coverage (Friday, Saturday, Sunday, save Saturday afternoon slot for ABC) and ESPN goes mid week with Monday, Tuesdays and Wednesdays. Sunday nights will have to be TBS as TNT has Sunday night NBA rights, but ESPN has Sunday Night Baseball. Thursday goes to ESPN round 1 and Turner round 2.

This is basically the reverse of how the NBA rights are split (where Turner gets Sunday-Wed/Thus, and ESPN gets the weekend).
Yeah, if the NHL did a schedule the NBA did in the playoffs, with Game 7's in the afternoon (since you're supposed to want as many people as possible watch the biggest games), people would absolutely lose their shit.

One thing to consider for next year though, presuming we have Olympics, and with the NHL starting an extra week later, the NHL seems likely to finish AFTER the NBA, which I think is something they secretly want to happen.

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami
Yeah, if the NHL did a schedule the NBA did in the playoffs, with Game 7's in the afternoon (since you're supposed to want as many people as possible watch the biggest games), people would absolutely lose their shit.

One thing to consider for next year though, presuming we have Olympics, and with the NHL starting an extra week later, the NHL seems likely to finish AFTER the NBA, which I think is something they secretly want to happen.

Yes, and I believe the the season will start a week later (Oct. 12, vs Oct. 6 as well).

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
ESPN/ABC is only doing 25 regular-season games which are roughly once a week. Turner is doing up to 72 which brings us to 97. Then we have the 75 ESPN-produced national regular-season games that will be streamed on ESPN+ and Hulu which will be exclusive.

For a US hockey fan subscribing to ESPN+ will become essential but they will also have the games that were formerly on NHL.tv. Center Ice in the US :dunno:

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami
ESPN/ABC is only doing 25 regular-season games which are roughly once a week. Turner is doing up to 72 which brings us to 97. Then we have the 75 ESPN-produced national regular-season games that will be streamed on ESPN+ and Hulu which will be exclusive.

For a US hockey fan subscribing to ESPN+ will become essential but they will also have the games that were formerly on NHL.tv. Center Ice in the US :dunno:

I thought I saw a quote that Center Ice (the tv package) will still exist. But NHL.to is gone and I can’t imagine the exclusive Hulu games will be available on Center Ice.

My best guess on how the TV situation shakes out is the ESPN linear games (15 on ESPN, 10 on ABC) will be post January only. ESPN on Thursday Nights (beginning after the NFL’s Thursday Games end and Saturday afternoons on ABC.

TNT will have one night for the entirety of the regular season with double headers. They may open a second night in TBS post-January for single header games. Also, a few special nights of coverage on TNT (like a Black Friday triple header, an extra night of coverage in the lead up to the Winter Classic post-Christmas, and final night of the regular season). My best guess is Wednesday Night for the main TNT coverage (if they can get AEW resolved), and Sunday or Monday Night for the late season TBS.

Hulu my guess will be Tuesday Nights and Thursday Nights pre-ESPN linear coverage. Plus probably whichever late season night (Sunday or Monday) that Turner doesn’t take for the second night. A few Friday/Saturday games as well to round out their schedule.

NHL Network will likely fill in any gaps assuming it stays around (which sounds like the plan).

Basically every night of the week will be covered by a national rights holder. That said although ESPN is the primary rights holder, for a traditional tv viewer it will feel like Turner will be as they will have full season coverage.

Marshmallow Man

Nov 6, 2020
I thought I saw a quote that Center Ice (the tv package) will still exist. But NHL.to is gone and I can’t imagine the exclusive Hulu games will be available on Center Ice.

My best guess on how the TV situation shakes out is the ESPN linear games (15 on ESPN, 10 on ABC) will be post January only. ESPN on Thursday Nights (beginning after the NFL’s Thursday Games end and Saturday afternoons on ABC.

TNT will have one night for the entirety of the regular season with double headers. They may open a second night in TBS post-January for single header games. Also, a few special nights of coverage on TNT (like a Black Friday triple header, an extra night of coverage in the lead up to the Winter Classic post-Christmas, and final night of the regular season). My best guess is Wednesday Night for the main TNT coverage (if they can get AEW resolved), and Sunday or Monday Night for the late season TBS.

Hulu my guess will be Tuesday Nights and Thursday Nights pre-ESPN linear coverage. Plus probably whichever late season night (Sunday or Monday) that Turner doesn’t take for the second night. A few Friday/Saturday games as well to round out their schedule.

NHL Network will likely fill in any gaps assuming it stays around (which sounds like the plan).

Basically every night of the week will be covered by a national rights holder. That said although ESPN is the primary rights holder, for a traditional tv viewer it will feel like Turner will be as they will have full season coverage.

My understanding is that all Center Ice content (a massive amount of games) will be available on ESPN+ at no additional cost, similar to how WWE Network was folded into Peacock at no additional cost. I believe these streaming rights were a big part of the ABC/ESPN deal. Streaming services are starved for content.

Am I wrong on this?

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami
My understanding is that all Center Ice content (a massive amount of games) will be available on ESPN+ at no additional cost, similar to how WWE Network was folded into Peacock at no additional cost. I believe these streaming rights were a big part of the ABC/ESPN deal. Streaming services are starved for content.

Am I wrong on this?

Center Ice and NHL.tv are currently separate products. Both sell the out of market games (center ice in linear tv and NHL.tv digitally), but you don’t get one with the other. NHL.tv is being folded into ESPN+, but I believe Bettman was quoted that there wouldn’t be a change in Center Ice. Of course I would assume the exclusive Hulu games will not be included in it and would be treated as a national games.

So it seems like Center Ice will still be sold as a cable package, but you can still get the same thing digitally for cheaper in ESPN+. So why anyone would buy Center Ice is beyond me...

Of course there could be some intentionally obscuration in the original ESPN press release and NHL.tv will still be an add on that can only be bought through ESPN+.

Reactions: FriendlySpungo

Marshmallow Man

Nov 6, 2020
Center Ice and NHL.tv are currently separate products. Both sell the out of market games (center ice in linear tv and NHL.tv digitally), but you don’t get one with the other. NHL.tv is being folded into ESPN+, but I believe Bettman was quoted that there wouldn’t be a change in Center Ice. Of course I would assume the exclusive Hulu games will not be included in it and would be treated as a national games.

So it seems like Center Ice will still be sold as a cable package, but you can still get the same thing digitally for cheaper in ESPN+. So why anyone would buy Center Ice is beyond me...

Of course there could be some intentionally obscuration in the original ESPN press release and NHL.tv will still be an add on that can only be bought through ESPN+.

OK, gotcha. I thought it was all the same thing.

I really didn’t see it being an add-on, but I just checked the price and it’s pretty high. So maybe an add-on after all. I guess we’ll all find out soon enough.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA

With SOME cable companies buying Center Ice also gives you NHL.tv but Comcast was not on the list.

I prefer Center Ice as you get to see the local ads instead of a graphic saying commercial break. The one exception I have is Center Ice on Xfinity on Saturday nights uses a feed from CBC in Moncton, NB and they run some New Brunswick government PSA's that are tough to watch.

Reactions: FriendlySpungo

IU Hawks fan

They call me IU
Dec 30, 2008
NW Burbs
Am I the only one who can't stand him? Hate his voice and commentary style, everything he says feels like individual sentences pieced together.

Not sure why he gets big gigs over a guy like Forslund. Because of his dad? Because he's a New Yorker? Makes zero sense to me.

Last edited:

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami
Am I the only one who can't stand him? Hate his voice and commentary style, everything he says feels like individual sentences pieced together.

Not sure why he gets big digs over a guy like Forslund. Because of his dad? Because he's a New Yorker? Makes zero sense to me.

I like Albert and thinks he calls a strong game, but the NY thing (and family connection in this instance) definitely helps. It’s the biggest market in the country and all the execs and decision makers live there. Every #1 national broadcaster in the US since 1986 has come from calling either the Rangers, Devils, or Islanders. It isn’t as much of an advantage now in a satellite world where you can hear broadcasters from everywhere, but it is still an advantage.

Reactions: CHRDANHUTCH

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami
Eddie O. to Turner as well. Ferraro to ESPN

Just a guess on how these things usually work, wouldn’t be surprised if Boucher follows Albert and Eddie and NBC’s in game “A team” moves to Turner as a group.

Spydey629

Jan 28, 2005
Carlisle, PA
Eddie O. to Turner as well. Ferraro to ESPN

Just a guess on how these things usually work, wouldn’t be surprised if Boucher follows Albert and Eddie and NBC’s in game “A team” moves to Turner as a group.

Turner is going to need a 'B Team' as well, correct? It seems we are all under the impression it will be a weekly double header.

ESPN will need two teams as well, right? I've been working with the theory that the 75 ESPN+ games are going to have their own dedicated announcing crew, since they will be basically calling a full season's worth of games.

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami
Turner is going to need a 'B Team' as well, correct? It seems we are all under the impression it will be a weekly double header.

ESPN will need two teams as well, right? I've been working with the theory that the 75 ESPN+ games are going to have their own dedicated announcing crew, since they will be basically calling a full season's worth of games.

Regardless if they do double headers or not, I think both will need at least 3 teams to cover the amount of games they are producing. Maybe even some one off freelancers to come in as well. Especially for round 1 of the playoffs if they are split like the NBA and are on a per night basis.

The first week of the playoffs depending on the day either espn or Turner could be airing 4 playoff games in a night (2 on ESPN/2 on ESPN2 or 2 on TNT and 2 on TBS).

Last edited:

Spydey629

Jan 28, 2005
Carlisle, PA
Regardless if they do double headers or not, I think both will need at least 3 teams to cover the amount of games they are producing. Maybe even some one off freelancers to come in as well. Especially for round 1 of the playoffs if they are split like the NBA and are on a per night basis.

The first week of the playoffs depending on the day either espn or Turner could be airing 4 playoff games in a night (2 on ESPN/2 on ESPN2 or 2 on TNT and 2 on TBS).

Honestly, I think it is easier for the networks to staff the playoffs, since 16 sets of announcers are suddenly available to work.

I am surprised at how fast this turned around. I didn’t expect to hear who was going where until sometime in August.

Sep 19, 2008
Great job to lock up Albert and olcyzk for Turner. Although I will miss edzo on triple crown coverage (assuming nbc is unwilling to have him on as a competing network)

Spydey629

Jan 28, 2005
Carlisle, PA
Great job to lock up Albert and olcyzk for Turner. Although I will miss edzo on triple crown coverage (assuming nbc is unwilling to have him on as a competing network)

According to the Athletic, Edzo will get to keep doing Triple Crown events. My uneducated guess is that’s why he will sign with Turner and not ESPN.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad