GDT: NHL Trade Deadline Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hockey4Lyfe

Feb 26, 2018
I like Spurgeon but I’m really not interested in any forwards Minn can trot out there for Kessel...really a mediocre bunch and that’s why Minn would be interested in Phil to begin with...take Spurgeon and a 1st and sign a FA or trade for a better replacement for Phil

If you were able to get Spurgeon and a 1st for Kessel, than one of our firsts could easily get a rental LW and even out our lineup.

Kessel with his term though would be hard to lose for a rental

Hockey4Lyfe

Feb 26, 2018
They’re picking up solid depth players every year and JR is out here getting Reaves and Johnson after beating the Caps with depth.

Still don’t think the Capitals have near the offensive power that they had last year in the playoffs.

DSP and Eller played way over their heads. If Ovechkin isn’t playing insane, they don’t have the offensive consistency that the other top teams have in the league.

AverageJoeFan

Mad cat
Feb 15, 2018
Pittsburgh
If you were able to get Spurgeon and a 1st for Kessel, than one of our firsts could easily get a rental LW and even out our lineup.

Kessel with his term though would be hard to lose for a rental
I mean, I'm not so sure Kessel would garner a 1st right now...The sellers are more interested in the pick and the buyers are adding depth. He really isn't either...

JackFr

Jun 18, 2010
I like Spurgeon but I’m really not interested in any forwards Minn can trot out there for Kessel...really a mediocre bunch and that’s why Minn would be interested in Phil to begin with...take Spurgeon and a 1st and sign a FA or trade for a better replacement for Phil
We not are going get Spurgeon and a 1st that could be a lottery pick for Kessel are you insane?

Reactions: AverageJoeFan

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Agree to disagree here. What players do we have that will be here next year and are on an upward trajectory? My point being, what improvement should we expect from this year to next, in general or on an individual level? I don't see anything noteworthy in the least.

You don't think that we have anyone on the roster who will improve beyond this season? I mean look at some of the young kids we have on the roster.

Reese - 24 - 1st full NHL season
Simon - 24 - 1st full NHL season
McCann - 22 - 4th NHL season (the age temps me the most)
Blueger - 24 - 1st NHL stint
Pettersson - 22 - 2nd pro NA season (will spend 3/4 in the NHL this year)
Riikola - 25 - 1st NA season
Guentzel - 24 - still coming into his own. I don't think he'll be more productive (although who knows), but I do think he'll continue to grow as a player and round out his game much like what we've seen with Crosby over the years.

I'm not saying that all of these guys will become stars - in fact it's unlikely that any (beyond JG) really take that step, but I think seeing some growth out of these player's is a pretty reasonable expectation. Seeing how all have contributed to us this season, getting all more out of them next season should only make us better.

I could see some doubt over McCann as this is his 4th season and how much room for growth is a reasonable question, but at 22/23 he's still pretty young, so who knows. I'll keep my expectation's low and see how things go, but the idea that we have nothing that will help this team going forward is false. We have our stars and important positions filled. What we need from those plays is cheap effective depth, and even if all we see is a small increase, that's still going to help us given how cheap almost every single one of those player's will be.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
I only wanted Jensen.... soooo there's that. :laugh: I want the Pens to do nothing honestly. Just deal with the mess in the offseason. I really wanted Jensen because I thought he and Riik could be a perfect 6/7.

But that was fool's gold because JJ is playing. Period and end of story.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
Still don’t think the Capitals have near the offensive power that they had last year in the playoffs.

DSP and Eller played way over their heads. If Ovechkin isn’t playing insane, they don’t have the offensive consistency that the other top teams have in the league.

But if they can keep more out than they score, that's a net plus.

Hagelin will help in that area. PK, his speed that can force D-men not to take chances pinching as much. They are set up to win lower scoring games than the Pens at the moment.

At least I think they are.

Reactions: Andy99

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
We not are going get Spurgeon and a 1st that could be a lottery pick for Kessel are you insane?

Well I never said trade him now...the pick will be known by the end of the season and before the draft and it could always be a protected first...

Hockey4Lyfe

Feb 26, 2018
But if they can keep more out than they score, that's a net plus.

Hagelin will help in that area. PK, his speed that can force D-men not to take chances pinching as much. They are set up to win lower scoring games than the Pens at the moment.

At least I think they are.

I don’t remember the Penguins ever being set up to win low scoring games. Lol

Slaaapshuter

May 10, 2015
FWIW TIOPS is saying the Pens 1st rounder is in play

Oh dear lord... Will someone please tranquilize the old man already?

I do have a gif from Dumb and Dumber lined up against my own posting should something good happen from JR. But I seriously doubt I'll have to use it.

JackFr

Jun 18, 2010
Well I never said trade him now...the pick will be known by the end of the season and before the draft and it could always be a protected first...
We could not get Spurgeon alone for Kessel dude. Either you're hugely undervaluing him or you have a very inaccurate idea of what a 31 year old Kessel is worth.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017

Caps are for sure a contender if they can play D like they did last year and Holtby plays well again...even before these moves, I’d say there are four real contenders in the East—Caps, TB, Tor and Bos...

Reactions: ColePens

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
And THAT is exactly how the Caps will use them.

Their keeping the core and tweaking the support players to enhance their speed and to play a better possession game.

I'd ask if JR has noticed that teams are doing that to enhance themselves, but I can't imagine a GM with Jack Johnson would be worried about it.

Exactly, we've got our first line set, our top pairing set and our goalies but everything else just looks really up in the air right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad