Not open for further replies.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Which is more likely:

1. Hagelin getting his hands back
2. Kunitz getting his legs back
3. Johnson getting his offense back

I'm honestly not sure which one I'd say is most likely :laugh:

The trade I've seen thrown out is Jaskin for Hagelin, which isn't much of an increase in speed. I don't think adding Hagelin would really move the needle much for Washington, they'd only get a little bit faster by going from Jaskin to him. I think the problem with the Capitals adding Hagelin is while they'll get faster and more responsible defensively, they're likely getting worse offensively and they've had problems with depth scoring in the past.

Is there a 4th option, like Murray discovers a good glove hand?

Reactions: ChaosAgent

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005
Hags for sure. Kunitz is done. I can say with 100% fact that JJ is never getting offense back and I don't even believe he ever had it. He's afraid to skate a puck even 5 feet. He dishes it to his partner every single time. He's literally afraid to skate.

I want a RH dman so badly. I want to run 3 and 3 LHD/RHD. And I like Ruh as a 7, but he's not a 6. We've seen that before. Nick Jensen would be decent depth. I would have dabbled with Beaulieu because he's unhappy but we just don't need a LHD/LD right now.
I've got just the RHD for you.

iu

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Hagelin was so god awful bad on offense that I will be glad if the Capitals add him.

The Capitals would add Hagelin solely in a checking/hound the puck defensive role. A little expensive for that role, but let's not pretend he's not fully capable as a 4th liner. NOW, if they added him expecting more . . .

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
The Capitals would add Hagelin solely in a checking/hound the puck defensive role. A little expensive for that role, but let's not pretend he's not fully capable as a 4th liner. NOW, if they added him expecting more . . .

For a team that has lost in the playoffs countless times because of a lack of depth scoring, I'm not sure this would even be a smart move for them.

Is there a 4th option, like Murray discovers a good glove hand?

Unless you're polling RG and other Fleury fanboys, that would be a runaway winner in that poll :laugh:

Reactions: KIRK

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Exactly. The forwards rarely are committed as they should be to supporting. Nor doing the work needed. And do not get called out for it enough.

Not that the defense and specific defensemen do not deserve criticism. But forwards share responsibility for defense and support just like defensemen are a big part of the offensive equation. The team as a whole is out of synch way too often.

I've run a ton of analysis on shot blocking and the numbers don't look crazy but the eye test showed me we were in lanes waaaaaaaaaaay more in 2016 and 2017 than we are now. The block differences aren't really crazy if you look at flat numbers, but forcing the play out of danger areas is not something an advanced stat can show. The 2016 and 2017 Pens were so good at forcing teams to places on the ice that weren't dangerous. I feel the Pens of this season ONLY force teams into areas that are dangerous. It seems like teams are all over us in danger zone areas.

So it drives me nuts the stats don't show significant differences, albeit the differences are there, but I can definitely notice the lack of ability form our forwards and their responsibility to support and give those "layers of defense".

Reactions: Jaded-Fan and KIRK

Hockey4Lyfe

Feb 26, 2018

Not sure about Jaskin, probably not as fast but he’s a 4th liner also. Who is younger, costs less and isn’t a UFA at the end of the year.

Just seems like a very odd move to go after a 4th line rental.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
For a team that has lost in the playoffs countless times because of a lack of depth scoring, I'm not sure this would even be a smart move for them.

Unless you're polling RG and other Fleury fanboys, that would be a runaway winner in that poll :laugh:

Don't disagree.

With either point. :D

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Exactly. The forwards rarely are committed as they should be to supporting. Nor doing the work needed. And do not get called out for it enough.

Not that the defense and specific defensemen do not deserve criticism. But forwards share responsibility for defense and support just like defensemen are a big part of the offensive equation. The team as a whole is out of synch way too often.

One would think that speed (both raw speed and player who played faster than perhaps they skated) is a big factor in maintaining proper layers in the defense. If your forwards are going to stretch and press the way the Pens do, then they collectively have to have the speed to get back.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Its just so Weird that JR went hard after Mcdonagh and tried a bit for Karlsson last season, but sees nothing wrong with this years worse defence.

Said he liked the defence last season too.

Suspect he's not lying. Obviously, liking a unit doesn't preclude him from wanting big upgrades if available, but it doesn't look like big upgrades are available. Barely any talk on dmen moving.

Which leaves talking depth dmen and if he likes the unit... *shrug* Normally I'd agree, but if Maatta's not deffo fit for play-offs we could really use someone, and we could really use a RHD who's better than Ruhwedel anyway.

Reactions: Malkinstheman

Malkinstheman

Aug 12, 2012
This is where I hope that his comments the other day were just a ploy.

I think what @Peat said is true here. JR is 'fine' with the D but if theres an obvious upgrade available, he will make it. Problem is though, the market is extremely forward heavy. I dont even know if a top pair type D is available.

Reactions: Peat

TimmyD

Nov 11, 2013
Greensburg, PA
So Coyle still hasn’t been told he got traded to Boston according to Bobby Mac. He said that Minnesota has only notified him that he has been traded, but not to where yet... I wonder if they are working on a bigger deal, maybe even a 3 team deal

ColePens

Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
So Coyle still hasn’t been told he got traded to Boston according to Bobby Mac. He said that Minnesota has only notified him that he has been traded, but not to where yet... I wonder if they are working on a bigger deal, maybe even a 3 team deal

Could be similar to the Brassard thing where a team is stepping in to retain salary for a pick.

TimmyD

Nov 11, 2013
Greensburg, PA
Could be similar to the Brassard thing where a team is stepping in to retain salary for a pick.

Russo was the guy who tweeted it not Bobby Mac, but either way it just seems a bit odd that he hasn’t been told where he is getting traded to if it was just a straight trade... Also for anyone wondering Silfverberg is signing a 5 year extension worth $5.25 million per year

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
Jack Johnson will not kill this current team. The team will lose because they aren't committed to playing team defense. Whatever it is, it isn't working. Now... I do think JJ could lose us a game, which could turn around a series, but as of right now the team defense will kill us first.

There's so many concerns with this team that it's hard for me to be confident we can go all the way. Our goaltending is OK but often inconsistent, our team defense sucks, and even our offense has come and gone all year.

When we're on top of our game we can beat anyone, but we've had trouble consistently being there.

Reactions: Andy99 and ColePens

DesertPenguin

Apr 22, 2015
GMJR might be done. He said he wants to keep the 1st, and given that we aren't setting the world on fire right now I don't think it's the year to go all in without a glaring place to spend that pick anyway. He will bargain hunt sure, and with how many players are available this might be a good deadline to do that, but the lack of 2nd or 3rd round picks this year even makes that tough. I don't even know if he can trade Buffalo's 4th because it's a conditional pick.

Maybe he moves Jarry for some capital to make a move, but otherwise we're short on trade chips.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
GMJR might be done. He said he wants to keep the 1st, and given that we aren't setting the world on fire right now I don't think it's the year to go all in without a glaring place to spend that pick anyway. He will bargain hunt sure, and with how many players are available this might be a good deadline to do that, but the lack of 2nd or 3rd round picks this year even makes that tough. I don't even know if he can trade Buffalo's 4th because it's a conditional pick.

Maybe he moves Jarry for some capital to make a move, but otherwise we're short on trade chips.

I suppose if he could get Duchene or Stone, I'd be OK with giving up the first, but even with one of those players I'm not sure we're a cup team given all our other warts.

We could really use a first round pick in our system, especially since it's likely to be a mid round first for once and not a really late one.

ColePens

Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
There's so many concerns with this team that it's hard for me to be confident we can go all the way. Our goaltending is OK but often inconsistent, our team defense sucks, and even our offense has come and gone all year.

When we're on top of our game we can beat anyone, but we've had trouble consistently being there.

I could probably name you 3-4 games that encouraged me and 3 games doesn't even win you a series let alone a Cup. :laugh: If it's not the defense, the offense goes stale. If it's not the team defense, the goalies will let something stupid in. If it's not team play, the powerplay will go stale. If it's not the powerplay, the PK will go stale. If it's none of that, someone will get injured. They can't hold leads. They can't come back from deficits. :laugh:

It has been a strange season. That is for sure. I'm trying to think how would this team win 16 games and I don't see it and i'm insanely optimistic. But as long as we have a fighting chance, I will be cheering it on.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
Nah I’m pretty sure Jack Johnson will kill this team, given how good they are when he’s not on the ice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad