Status
Not open for further replies.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
NBCSN

McKenzie | Bruins weighing trade deadline options

“Well, it’s a balancing act, isn’t it,” cautioned McKenzie. “I mean, – they have emerged as a legitimate Stanley Cup contender. They look like they’re for real and they’re on an incredible run right now.
“So there could be a school of thought, ‘Well, why mess with the chemistry. Why mess with anything. This group is doing fantastic. Maybe just let them mature naturally. They’ve got so many young guys in prominent roles. Just go for it with the players that they’ve got.’
“But the flip side of that is they may be that close to winning a Stanley Cup this year. Why wouldn’t you try to address some of your needs.

Awesome...so what are their legitimate needs?

Reactions: Estlin

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005

Exactly.

Unlike 2011 or even 2013, what their needs are aren't clear-cut. Any move that brings in even a semi-significant guy without subtracting from the current roster will have a domino effect that may or may not be positive depending on the player and the fit.

Reactions: Estlin

easton117

Nov 11, 2017
Probably like every other playoff team, secondary scoring. For the most part Boston is going to be relying on some pretty young guys to provide it.

Playoffs are a different animal than the regular season. There are no games like last night vs the Rangers where teams just mail it in. Guys are going to get hurt, get snakebit, or just flat out get overwhelmed. It happens.

I see some posters worry about chemistry but I don’t buy it. These guys are professionals with 2 months worth of playing time to get acclimated with a new guy or two.

Boston actually has the luxury to tinker now with lineup choices to see what works. Say they bring in a guy like Grabner and it fizzles put down the stretch. Who cares really? Bench him (or whoever) and go back to what worked before.

Adding depth can only help them down the stretch. Worry about next year in the summer.

Edit for spelling. Phones suck to type on

Ratty

Feb 2, 2003
Rive Gauche
Visit site
Bruins interested in Ben Hutton, LHD?

According to Rick Dhaliwal of News 1130 in his tweet yesterday (@DhaliwalSports), "The Bruins watched the #Canucks in Florida last night, they had interest in Vanek two years ago, but I have been told they are one of the teams interested in Hutton".

Ben Hutton, a U. Maine Black Bear, is a 24 yr. old fifth round pick of Vancouver.

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border

Bergeron, Chara, Krejci and Marchand " the big four" may not have another season where the Bruins are this close to bringing them another Championship and the Bruins have the assets to make their chances a whole lot better. Eventually Sweeney is going to have too make a deal as his cupboard is overflowing ,So why not now when his team is this close.

Another top 4 defenseman:
Reason: The Bruins are relying a lot on youth and a soon to be 41 yr old to play a whole lot of Hockey from here on out. Chara will be 41 come playoff time and he has a lot of hockey to be played before now and then in a short period of time. Teams will be dumping the puck into his corner and bumping him at every chance they get to try and wear the big man down. The harsh reality is, Chara isn't 25 any more.
If the Bruins are able to make a deep postseason run. The likes of McAvoy, Grizz and Carlo have never in their careers played as much Hockey in a season. McAvoy and Grizz have never played more than 70 games in a season.

This yr the Bruins have the rare opportunity that they have the assets are Stanley cup contenders and a player like McDonagh is available.

Secondly a another top 6 scoring winger:
Reason: The Bergeron line going into last night had been involved in nearly 49% of the goals scored this yr. Come playoffs, time & space is going to be lot harder to come by. Secondary scoring needs to be there.

In a perfect world: One or the other would be nice, both wold be Awesome.
If only one was attainable. Id prefer the defenseman the caliber of McDonagh because he essential helps your offense along with being able to log big time minutes in all situations defensively.

When it comes right down too it, I feel the moves if any will be minor. Either way the Bruins will be a joy to watch and one never knows!

Glove Malfunction

Ference is my binky
Jan 1, 2009
Pleasantly warm, AZ
I understand the reasoning about the F’s, but why do the Bruins need a Top 6 D with Grzelcyk performing so well that he was keeping McQuaid (a proven playoff performer) off the ice?

The B’s now have four D capable of playing on the 3rd pair. If they can add a top pair D who will eventually replace Chara without giving away the house (doubtful), that would be great, but why give away assets for a depth D they don’t need.
I agree with this completely. Don't really see the B's in much need of a depth defenseman, But if they can acquire McDonaugh and not break the bank, that's a good get. Would be even better if Chara plays one more year, and the Bruins can use Chara's money to help resign him to be Chara's top pair replacement.

ORR2Sanderson2ORR

Bobby Orr Scores
Aug 24, 2005
Everywhere
Exactly.

Unlike 2011 or even 2013, what their needs are aren't clear-cut. Any move that brings in even a semi-significant guy without subtracting from the current roster will have a domino effect that may or may not be positive depending on the player and the fit.

I think the needs are pretty clear-cut, another top 6 -9 forward and another defenseman.

It just depends on what the asking prices are and does Sweeney want to pay it.

I dont feel that any need is a must. But if the Bruins want to increase their chances of winning a Cup.... Those are the decisions that will need to be made.

Reactions: Bergyesque

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
Probably like every other playoff team, secondary scoring. For the most part Boston is going to be relying on some pretty young guys to provide it.

I see some posters worry about chemistry but I don’t buy it. These guys are professionals with 2 months worth of playing time to get acclimated with a new guy or two.

Couldn't agree more . If Sweeney were to sit Chara, Begy, Krejci,Backus and Marchand down and said look we have the Chance to acquire Rick Nash/ Ryan McDonagh but I think he'll wreck are team Chemistry. What do you guys think?

They will probably all look at him like he has two heads with visions of a Stanley Cup dancing in their own heads.

First of all I dont see Sweeney even attempting to pry a player away from another team who would disrupt the Bruins Chemistry and with the Bruins lockerroom and leaders being some of the Best in all of Hockey, it just isn't going to happen.

Reactions: ORR2Sanderson2ORR

Montecristo

Jul 29, 2012
I understand the reasoning about the F’s, but why do the Bruins need a Top 6 D with Grzelcyk performing so well that he was keeping McQuaid (a proven playoff performer) off the ice?

The B’s now have four D capable of playing on the 3rd pair. If they can add a top pair D who will eventually replace Chara without giving away the house (doubtful), that would be great, but why give away assets for a depth D they don’t need.

I don’t view postma as adequate enough. Right now it’s
Chara-mcavoy...good
Krug-carlo...good
Grzcelyk-mcquaid/Miller...good
Postma

I think insurance for a possible downturn for grzcelyk would be nice and also in the event of an injury coupled with an unreliable Grizz its Tommy Cross or postma come playoff time. I’d rather have a real top 6 guy in the role of #8. Not postma who’s an actual 7 or 8. Having 7 top 6 is great. 8 is better. You need 8 dmen come playoff Time. Is it huge need at the deadline? No. But if I was going to rank needs, after secondary scoring winger I’d put d there.

To be honest when a team is like 24-1 over 25 games nothing looks like it needs to change or improve

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Chara-mcavoy...good
Krug-carlo...good
Postma

I think insurance for a possible downturn for grzcelyk would be nice and also in the event of an injury coupled with an unreliable Grizz its Tommy Cross or postma come playoff time. I’d rather have a real top 6 guy in the role of #8. Not postma who’s an actual 7 or 8. Having 7 top 6 is great. 8 is better. You need 8 dmen come playoff Time. Is it huge need at the deadline? No. But if I was going to rank needs, after secondary scoring winger I’d put d there.

To be honest when a team is like 24-1 over 25 games nothing looks like it needs to change or improve

So, who are they bringing in as the Top 6 replacement for McAvoy should he struggle? 8 is good, but 9 is better.

Reactions: Rubber Biscuit

Hali33

Oct 18, 2013
Halifax, Nova Scotia
I think it’s a tough deadline because the answers to “what do they need” likely will be found after the deadline once they hit the roughest part of their schedule when fatigue/injuries hit.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Boston Bruins Trade Target: Thomas Vanek

Bruins have been scouting the Canucks maybe Sweeney is attempting to get two Canucks with one move.

Did someone actually get paid to write this drivel?

Forget the Vanek thing for a second, look at two of the writers statements:

"They have been fortunate that Ryan Spooner has been able to play well on the right wing, but he is far better down the middle."

Really?, because this is the best stretch of NHL hockey of his career, by far, and he's doing it as a RW, when he's typically struggled in the middle at the NHL level.

"Although they have a very strong top-six, their depth is fairly weak, especially when injuries arise. "

Actually they have a great No.1 line, two very solid middle units, and a strong 4th line with quality players both in the press box and in Providence.

I'd rather have Sean Kuraly in my playoff line-up than Thomas Vanish.

Montecristo

Jul 29, 2012
That’s cool.

How many more NHL games does McAvoy have than Grizz?

As far as the Postma situation goes...the last time I recall a rookie stepping into the playoffs when the B’s got to the 8th/9th D was Krug.

How’d that work out?

You don’t recall tommy cross last year?

ORR2Sanderson2ORR

Bobby Orr Scores
Aug 24, 2005
Everywhere
Did someone actually get paid to write this drivel?

Forget the Vanek thing for a second, look at two of the writers statements:

"They have been fortunate that Ryan Spooner has been able to play well on the right wing, but he is far better down the middle."

Really?, because this is the best stretch of NHL hockey of his career, by far, and he's doing it as a RW, when he's typically struggled in the middle at the NHL level.

"Although they have a very strong top-six, their depth is fairly weak, especially when injuries arise. "

Actually they have a great No.1 line, two very solid middle units, and a strong 4th line with quality players both in the press box and in Providence.

I'd rather have Sean Kuraly in my playoff line-up than Thomas Vanish.

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

I thought you'd like this .;)

Reactions: BruinDust

Rubber Biscuit

Sep 9, 2010
Long Island
Chara-mcavoy...good
Krug-carlo...good
Postma

Postma is a fine 8th defenseman. Really, he's the 5th RHD option. If it's a LHD that needs to be replaced, it's likely O'Gara stepping in.

Montecristo

Jul 29, 2012
I do.

Postma>Cross

I’m just saying if an oppurtunity arises where you can acquire a defensemen better than postma and it requires little value to do so it’s beneficial both long and short term. That’s why sweeney was linked to koekkoek, that’s why he is currently linked to Hutton. Youngish left shot dmen who are currently good enough as 5, 6, 7 type dmen with upside to be top 4. Postma is what he is.

Acquiring one of those dmen open up larger trades if they do desire as if they could acquire a more pro ready young left shot, every left shot dman in the system is just that much less important to keep around. Zboril, lindgren, grzcelyk, hutton*, lauzon, vaakananien. That’s a lot of ammo and if it takes 2 to improve something else, the depth is that much deeper by acquiring 1 more. If they so chose. I’m not gutting the farm to acquire a player like that but if it takes a mid round pick, a mid-low end prospect and postma I think that’s worth it for both the short and the long term.

Scoring winger insurance I still put higher on the list though, not much depth offensively this season outside of the top 12. Czarnik has looked good lately, vatrano hasn’t, cehlarik (to me) hasn’t. everyone else is a wild card.

Bergyesque

Been there, done that.
Mar 11, 2014
Laval, QC, Canada
That’s cool.

How many more NHL games does McAvoy have than Grizz?

As far as the Postma situation goes...the last time I recall a rookie stepping into the playoffs when the B’s got to the 8th/9th D was Krug.

How’d that work out?

IMO, you can't compare McAvoy and Grizz, and Postma and Krug.
Also, it's not because Krug did step in and had success that every rookie D-man will do the same. You can't bank on that.
Granted, adding another top 4 D-man is not a must, but a very good idea, and something Sweeney should try to do.

Reactions: Strafer

Bergyesque

Been there, done that.
Mar 11, 2014
Laval, QC, Canada
I'd warn against feeling confortable with the current roster.
Things are going incredibly well, and it's great, really great.
The thing is, it won't last. Look at TB. They are no slouches, but there is no way they would maintain the level of play they enjoyed to start the season.
Not saying the Bs are lucky or not good, far from this, but such stretches don't last forever.

Sweeney would be wise to TRY to solidify some parts of his team.
A top-4 LHD, a RW for Krejci and a 3C are potential needs that seem to come up often.
I'll let Sweeney and Co. decide on what would be needed.

Reactions: Strafer

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
IMO, you can't compare McAvoy and Grizz, and Postma and Krug.
Also, it's not because Krug did step in and had success that every rookie D-man will do the same. You can't bank on that.
Granted, adding another top 4 D-man is not a must, but a very good idea, and something Sweeney should try to do.

So the B’s add another Top 4 D.

Pick someone and then tell me what the lineup is. You going to move Chara to 3rd pair? Krug?

So, who gets sat, Grizz? Or does he go in the deal?

Right now, the B’s have a puck mover on every pair and a more defensive guy on each pair and it appears to be working pretty well. If the B’s add someone, I want it to be a “Chara replacement” or don’t bother.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
I'd warn against feeling confortable with the current roster.
Things are going incredibly well, and it's great, really great.
The thing is, it won't last. Look at TB. They are no slouches, but there is no way they would maintain the level of play they enjoyed to start the season.
Not saying the Bs are lucky or not good, far from this, but such stretches don't last forever.

Sweeney would be wise to TRY to solidify some parts of his team.
A top-4 LHD, a RW for Krejci and a 3C are potential needs that seem to come up often.
I'll let Sweeney and Co. decide on what would be needed.

They also don't need to play .800 hockey in the playoffs to be successful.

With 31 games left they won't play .800 hockey the rest of the way. .650 is probably a realistic goal, but they could revert back to even .600 and be ok. You just hope that confidence and health are good going into their first round match-up.

Bergyesque

Been there, done that.
Mar 11, 2014
Laval, QC, Canada
So the B’s add another Top 4 D.

Pick someone and then tell me what the lineup is. You going to move Chara to 3rd pair? Krug?

So, who gets sat, Grizz? Or does he go in the deal?

Right now, the B’s have a puck mover on every pair and a more defensive guy on each pair and it appears to be working pretty well. If the B’s add someone, I want it to be a “Chara replacement” or don’t bother.

I too like the idea of having one puck-moving D-man per pair, and that is a concern.

The left side of the D is not a problem now, but there is a lot of potential for it to go south.
- Considering his age and the condensed schedule awaiting the Bs in March-April, there is a possibility Chara will be gased come playoff time.
- What about Grizz? Yep, he played a full schedule last year in Providence, so there is hope he can hold his own in this year's playoffs.
Still, among other things, he's having the highest PDO of all D-men having played 300 minutes. I know it's not a be-all-and-end all argument. But still, would it be unreasonable to expect him to regress a bit, especially in the playoffs?
- Krug is fine, but he's not a big guy, especially if he has to pick up the slack from Chara and Grizz.

So let's say the Bs add McDonagh, I would slot him on the second pair with Carlo hoping he would be able to somewhat play the role of the puck-moving D, pushing Krug on the 3rd paring with either Miller or McQuaid. I'd keep Grizz as the backup.
If Chara falters, I would promote McDonagh in his spot with McAvoy.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad