Post-Game Talk: NHL Trade Deadline - Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
Yes the trade! To this day I fully believe Bruins win if Iginla didnt have a change of heart. Jagr sucked!

It helps me sleep better at night that the ******* never won after that. I hope he feels the same way I do and thinks about it everyday til he dies.

Wow that's....deep lmfao

Thanks for the clarification though. What an awful day. "We have him! Nope... you don't."

whatsbruin

Feb 27, 2002
Central, NY
My question for those that want a depth defensemen, is don't we already have one ?
We have 7 now. K. Miller is injured right now, not sure what it is, but have not heard it is long term.
So when he is available we have 7. So a trade for a depth defensemen would put the B's with 8 of them.
Yes, it was needed last year, but is it something the team needs to do with O'Gara down on the farm as well ?

Beantown1616

Jul 14, 2016
I'm with you - I think Grabner would be a fantastic addition. Can play up and down the lineup, kills penalties, can score and has the ability to stretch out defenses with his speed.

bruinmann77

Feb 27, 2002
bronx ny
Visit site
I am in the camp of don't mess with Chemistry and dont see DS making a big trade. We could however use a tough winger who can maybe also pop a few goals

Gargyn

Oct 19, 2006
Kelowna, BC
Tampa is close to acquiring McDonagh. That would be huge for them as they already have elite offence and goaltending. Hedman on one pairing and McDonagh on another will be tough to beat in a 7 game series.

Reactions: Strafer

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
Stay pat. Don't mess with a good thing.

Keep draft picks for future to keep building a dynasty.

If surfeit of kids, swap lesser ones for more picks even way in future.

On the one hand I love it, on the other, you're going to lose guys to waivers.

With Gryz breaking out and Chara looking good for another couple years, it's tough.

Reactions: Bergyesque

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
My question for those that want a depth defensemen, is don't we already have one ?
We have 7 now. K. Miller is injured right now, not sure what it is, but have not heard it is long term.
So when he is available we have 7. So a trade for a depth defensemen would put the B's with 8 of them.
Yes, it was needed last year, but is it something the team needs to do with O'Gara down on the farm as well ?

You grab someone better than Postma and send Postma to the farm but I'd be more in the camp of going for a top-2 defenceman, just not sure who is out there and if Green is any good

Montecristo

Jul 29, 2012
The biggest weakness is reliable secondary scoring. They’ve had it so far but no player has an nhl track record of reliably providing it. I think upgrading 2nd line wings and a top 6 defensemen is the biggest weakness. I just don’t trust debrusk or spooner come playoff time. Could they light it up? Yup. Could they go ice cold? Also yup. I’d prefer some reliability

Montecristo

Jul 29, 2012
Marchand-Bergeron-Pastrnak
Hoffman-Krejci-Spooner
Debrusk- Backes-Heinen
Kuraly-Nash-Acciari
or
Marchand-Begeron-Pastrnak
Debrusk-Krejci-Stone
Heinen-Spooner-Backes
Kuraly-Nash-Acciari

Chara- McAvoy
McDonagh-Carlo
Krug- Miller/McQuaid

Id want this going in.

If anyone gets added and someone has to sit it will be kuraly or acciari before schaller.

Reactions: BBruins

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
The biggest weakness is reliable secondary scoring. They’ve had it so far but no player has an nhl track record of reliably providing it. I think upgrading 2nd line wings and a top 6 defensemen is the biggest weakness. I just don’t trust debrusk or spooner come playoff time. Could they light it up? Yup. Could they go ice cold? Also yup. I’d prefer some reliability

I understand the reasoning about the F’s, but why do the Bruins need a Top 6 D with Grzelcyk performing so well that he was keeping McQuaid (a proven playoff performer) off the ice?

The B’s now have four D capable of playing on the 3rd pair. If they can add a top pair D who will eventually replace Chara without giving away the house (doubtful), that would be great, but why give away assets for a depth D they don’t need.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
I keep waiting for the wheels to fall off of Spooner's game or for the rookies to hit a wall, or for forwards to figure out Grz, etc etc etc. None of that has happened.

I think that's what makes this deadline tough. We have depth at nearly every position and everyone is playing well.

What we do know about the playoffs:

- Depth is huge. Players are going to get hurt and teams need NHL players ready to go. Lines are going to run hot and cold and if your top line is cold, your secondary scoring needs to step up

- You can ride a hot goaltender all the way to the Finals

I wouldn't be upset if we went for depth on the wings and another dman. I think that's why the Bruins have been sniffing around at LHD...with the physicality of the playoffs and two of our dman under 5'9, it makes sense that we have another LHD ready to go incase one of Krug or Grz get hurt. Both kids have shown to be tough as nails and not back down at physicality, but insurance wouldn't hurt here.

Sevendust

Jan 11, 2010
Munich, Germany
Iginla sucked? Are you referencing the failed trade? Because Iginla's season here was anything but "suck". 78 GP -- 30G -- 31A -- 61P (0.78 PPG). That's a pretty solid stat line.

Iginla was the definition of clutch in that season. Didnt he had something like 10 game winners or something?! Playoffs was a different story. His age showed a little bit ...

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
Yes the trade! To this day I fully believe Bruins win if Iginla didnt have a change of heart. Jagr sucked!

It helps me sleep better at night that the ******* never won after that. I hope he feels the same way I do and thinks about it everyday til he dies.
Eh, yes and no.

Jagr didn't suck at all. He was actually pretty good with Bergy and Marchand, and his legacy as a Bruin will be creating the game 3 OT winner to all but eliminate Pittsburgh by stripping Malkin in the neutral zone. He was just the most snakebit player I've ever seen in my life that spring. There must've been at least 10 different occasions between the trade and the finals where he had a golden scoring chance and just got flat out robbed by the goalie or hit the post. He made chances happen though, just because the goals weren't there on paper doesn't mean he didn't contribute.

As for Iginla, one can make the case that we might've won with him. Now, he kinda sucked with Pittsburgh, but they asked him to play the off wing IIRC. But the ripple effect here is that in the last regular season game against the Pens, Iginla fought Horton and Horton hurt his shoulder in the process. Never was 100% the rest of the way. I also think Iginla would've been more versatile on that roster than Jagr was, he would've been more likely to mesh with Pevs and Kelly on the third line or Krejci and Lucic on the first line. Jagr wasn't a great compliment with anyone other than Bergy, really (but Clode wouldn't let him play with Krejci for some reason). I still think he was a good player here and a fun guy to root for.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
BTW Sportsnet is ranking the Bruins #1 right now

NHL Power Rankings: Greatest Trade Needs Edition - Sportsnet.ca

Having earned points in 21 of their past 22 outings, regardless if top scorer Brad Marchand is in the lineup or not, the Bruins’ youth movement is ahead of schedule and their veterans are all enjoying solid seasons. They don’t need much and should be unwilling to sacrifice much, but GM Don Sweeney may poke around for a depth centre (Mark Letestu?) or another D-man.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
I am in the camp of don't mess with Chemistry and dont see DS making a big trade. We could however use a tough winger who can maybe also pop a few goals
not sure which "tough winger" is out there who fits what your looking for. Not saying there isn`t one, I`m just not well educated or familiar with a ton of teams out West. I worry about that chemistry aspect too, has to be a guy who can seamlessly fit in and not cause any real disruptions/distractions ala Chris Kelly/Pevs, two guys who when acquired, didn`t exactly have fans here jumping with excitement but who proved to be quietly valuable pieces of that Cup run/win

My absolute guess is DS will do his best to improve this team (is that possible?) but if the right deal isn`t there, he`ll go with what he`s got and if he does this, not sure I`d be too frustrated seeing how this team is flying right now

JCRO

At least I'm safe inside my mind
Sponsor
Mar 8, 2011
Im content with them getting a depth rental without breaking the bank.

I would argue that I'd like to see them pick someone up whose contract doesn't expire right now and can help out at least next season as well. But this is probably the worst time to be making a move like this as prices are inflated I would think.

Anyways, point being, happy with a depth rental. But I want to see some of these assets moved to solidify the roster at some point between this trade deadline and the start of next season. Most likely before the start of next season.

Also have to worry if a team like Tampa loads up.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
One variable here - some are suggesting setting up for next year but this could be next year.

whitetape

Jun 3, 2006
Grabner is a good player but I can't think of any Bruin I would sit to make room for him -- Spooner's playing so well, Debrusk is playing well and needs playoff experience, schaller brings grit and chemistry wherever he plays. To give up a first-rounder for a guy who might just as well be scratched most nights? No thanks.

Hali33

Oct 18, 2013
Halifax, Nova Scotia
I think they are actually set up on defense pretty well barring a brutal run of injuries.

I would still look to shore up some veteran secondary offense. It’s a tough deadline because this team has been on an incredible run and you risk messing with chemistry.

But then there’s the reality of how much they’re going to be playing in the final third of the schedule. Not more than a day off the whole way. It’ll be hard on everyone but I think there’s a decent chance it could hit the kids hard once fatigue really sets in.

Secondary scoring is where I could see them needing a boost when this incredible run they’ve been on slows down.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
One variable here - some are suggesting setting up for next year but this could be next year.

I don’t think I have seen a single person say set up next year at this year’s expense. Speaking for myself, I really don’t want them wasting assets on a rental that isn’t going to be an upgrade over what the B’s already have (or even their 13th F for that matter).

If the B’s want to add and prices are high anyway, target players who can help you THIS YEAR and going forward because they have term. If prices are exorbitant, then maybe a guy like Nash or Vanek, but I would rather not.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
This Bruins team is a lot like the Yankees team this past baseball season. They are almost forcing the GM to reinforce this team a year early.

That being said, I'm fine if they go into the playoffs with this team as currently construed. I'm a little nervous about 2nd line production being consistent, but when push comes to shove I can take that risk over dealing good assets for rentals.

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
NBCSN

McKenzie | Bruins weighing trade deadline options

“Well, it’s a balancing act, isn’t it,” cautioned McKenzie. “I mean, – they have emerged as a legitimate Stanley Cup contender. They look like they’re for real and they’re on an incredible run right now.
“So there could be a school of thought, ‘Well, why mess with the chemistry. Why mess with anything. This group is doing fantastic. Maybe just let them mature naturally. They’ve got so many young guys in prominent roles. Just go for it with the players that they’ve got.’
“But the flip side of that is they may be that close to winning a Stanley Cup this year. Why wouldn’t you try to address some of your needs.

Reactions: ORR2Sanderson2ORR
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad