Post-Game Talk: NHL Trade Deadline - Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Less than 3 weeks to go before the trade deadline the Bruins know they are a playoff team and possibly a team that can contend for the Cup.

We have to assume Sweeney is going to buy - but who and at what price?

What do you believe the Bruins biggest weakness is and how do you address it?

I am of the mindset to just go with what we have and then make adjustments for next year but there is no getting around that this team has been the best in the NHL since Thanksgiving.

Discuss

:popcorn:

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
I like this team enough to not want to mess with it too much.

I'd invest a 3rd or 4th for a depth winger so that if someone gets injured we don't have to keep playing Frank. But that's about it unless Sweeney has one of those old Chia deadline deals up his sleeve where he makes lateral trades to get a guy with a longer contract or who's a team guy, like Mara for Ward back in the day.

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
The Bruins are rolling and are overloaded with prospects. Their a team that competes and plays to win every shift of every game and they deserve to be rewarded by Sweeney to be on the phone with other GMs looking to add that other top 4 d-man for a long playoff run or another top 6 forward.

The team has never had a better bundle of prospects and they all cant play for the Bruins. There's some decisions to be made and there is no better time than now, too add a big addition and make the Bruins a Cup favorite.

Bergeron, Chara, Krejci and Marchand " the big four" may not have another season where the Bruins are this close to bringing them another Championship and have the assets to do so.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Not sure what the B`s would like to do, my guess, add an insurance D-man/winger on an expiring contract on the cheap? I just don`t see DS swaying too much from his commitment to youth. Saying that, if there is a deal out there that he could pull off without plucking someone young off the current B`s roster who he feels is in their long term plan, he`ll do it.

Like most trade deadlines, I`m expecting a whole lotta nuthin from the majority of teams Ironically, I could see the Golden Knights being the busiest

ORR2Sanderson2ORR

Bobby Orr Scores
Aug 24, 2005
Everywhere
Stay pat. Don't mess with a good thing.

Keep draft picks for future to keep building a dynasty.

If surfeit of kids, swap lesser ones for more picks even way in future.

I like your ideas.
A dynasty is incredible hard to build now a days with the salary cap and if your as close as the Bruins are this yr and have the depth of prospects they have its not out of the realm to see the Bruins manage to be Cup contenders for the next 4-5 yrs by making a trade to improve their odds.

Not a rental but a McDonagh, OEL type of deal where you will have them for at least the next two playoff runs and potentially beyond. With the Cupboard being so full and the next two drafts being pretty rich with talent the Cupboard would be far from depleted.

remer

Oct 18, 2005
I like your ideas.
Not a rental but a McDonagh, OEL type of deal where you will have them for at least the next two playoff runs and potentially beyond. With the Cupboard being so full and the next two drafts being pretty rich with talent the Cupboard would be far from depleted.

Bruins have a good chance at the Stanley Cup. You go for it with reasonable moves. Agree that a McDonagh or OEL would be good moves depending on how much you give up. But the Bruins have a lot of great prospects plus some decent players on the 3rd and 4th lines that could be packaged up.

Another scoring threat would be a good idea as well. Maybe a player that is a 3rd line center/ winger would be very valuable in the playoffs.

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
I stand pat and make a hockey trade during the off-season....go all in next season.

Reactions: Ratty

Estlin

Sep 25, 2013
New York City
Bruins have a good chance at the Stanley Cup. You go for it with reasonable moves. Agree that a McDonagh or OEL would be good moves depending on how much you give up. But the Bruins have a lot of great prospects plus some decent players on the 3rd and 4th lines that could be packaged up.

Another scoring threat would be a good idea as well. Maybe a player that is a 3rd line center/ winger would be very valuable in the playoffs.

Again, Sam Reinhart could be a good pickup in that regard (right-shot C/RW). The potential is still there with him. Boston could send Lauzon or Lindgren (Buffalo needs young LHD) plus Vatrano in exchange, or at least that could be the basis of a deal. Heck, Vatrano could be a 20-goal man on Eichel's LW after Kane is dealt.

Marchand-Bergeron-Pastrnak
Heinen-Krejci-Backes
Debrusk-Reinhart-Bjork/Spooner
Kuraly-Nash-Acciari

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
Again, Sam Reinhart could be a good pickup in that regard (right-shot C/RW). The potential is still there with him. Boston could send Lauzon or Lindgren (Buffalo needs young LHD) plus Vatrano in exchange, or at least that could be the basis of a deal. Heck, Vatrano could be a 20-goal man on Eichel's LW after Kane is dealt.

Heinen-Krejci-Backes
Debrusk-Reinhart-Bjork/Spooner
Kuraly-Nash-Acciari

Not a big Reinhart fan. Seen him play numerous times and it appears pretty apparent that he's been riding the coattails of Eichel.

Rumpy

Mar 13, 2002
Saskatchewan
Visit site
Not a big Reinhart fan. Seen him play numerous times and it appears pretty apparent that he's been riding the coattails of Eichel.

Saw Reinhardt play lots in junior and always thought Krecji was his ceiling. Not what you want from first overall.... He sees the ice well but only shows up when he wants and has to have the right line mates to be effective. He would be a decent guy to take a flyer on depending on price but probably not for the Bruins.

Also being a Bruins fan and all the failed deals in the past I don’t even know what to say about going after McDonaugh.

Iginla sucked Gonchar was a total flop Iafrate was a mess. The only guy I can remember coming and playing effective and well was Nylander.

Kaberle did have a role and any role on that team was so huge but he wasn’t the effective saviour everyone thought/assumed either.

That said if Im sweeney Im have a meeting with Chara Bergeron Krecji and Tuukka and gauging how they feel or what they want to do with the direction and pulse of the team right now and then going forward from there.

Reactions: bbfan419

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
Saw Reinhardt play lots in junior and always thought Krecji was his ceiling. Not what you want from first overall.... He sees the ice well but only shows up when he wants and has to have the right line mates to be effective. He would be a decent guy to take a flyer on depending on price but probably not for the Bruins.

Also being a Bruins fan and all the failed deals in the past I don’t even know what to say about going after McDonaugh.

Iginla sucked Gonchar was a total flop Iafrate was a mess. The only guy I can remember coming and playing effective and well was Nylander.

Kaberle did have a role and any role on that team was so huge but he wasn’t the effective saviour everyone thought/assumed either.

That said if Im sweeney Im have a meeting with Chara Bergeron Krecji and Tuukka and gauging how they feel or what they want to do with the direction and pulse of the team right now and then going forward from there.

Iginla sucked? Are you referencing the failed trade? Because Iginla's season here was anything but "suck". 78 GP -- 30G -- 31A -- 61P (0.78 PPG). That's a pretty solid stat line.

Reactions: Sevendust

whatsbruin

Feb 27, 2002
Central, NY
The team is a contender this year. If Sweeney can improve the team, without disrupting the chemistry he should.
You can say wait till next year, but you never know what next year will bring. Perhaps Chara's play declines.
Some players have a bad year, etc.

I won't name specific players, because I don't know enough about everyone in the nhl.
Scoring always gets harder in the playoffs, and the B's have a lot of young forwards that might find scoring difficult.
I would look for a veteran winger for the 2nd line. Then push the wingers down one line, if that makes sense.
(i.e. Find a winger to take DeBrusk's spot, and move Jake to the 3rd line).
Another option would be a better 3rd line center, and push Nash to the 4th line.
The thing is you may disrupt the chemistry of the lines and team.
I think the team already has depth at D (McQuaid and O'Gara) and forward (Czarnik, Vatrano, Cehlarik) so that isn't needed.

easton117

Nov 11, 2017
Bob McKenzie was saying Grabner asking orice is a first rounder. I’d consider it if I’m Boston. Dirt cheap contract for a guy with wheels, can kill penalties and score on his chances.

Would like a depth dman too but not paying Ian Cole prices for that type of guy.

rickizbruin

Feb 7, 2010
ONTARIO
Maybe a veteran 7th defenceman in case of injury. or a Veteran forward for depth. but i say stay with the guys who brung ya. ! And don't mess with the chemistry. they are a contender and have a shot at top spot in the NHL which really isn't all that important. but the fact they are so close means contender.
stay on course and anything can happen with the depth this team has.

SPLBRUIN

Mar 21, 2010
To me the best move to make that shouldn't upset team chemistry is to pick up a legitimate 3rd line center and move Nash to our 4th line, by doing this the only " regular" to be removed from the lineup would be Acciari.

remer

Oct 18, 2005
To me the best move to make that shouldn't upset team chemistry is to pick up a legitimate 3rd line center and move Nash to our 4th line, by doing this the only " regular" to be removed from the lineup would be Acciari.

Heinen-Krejci-Backes
Debrusk- ???? Spooner
Kuraly-Nash-Acciari

Trade targets: Pageau or Domi ( or Spooner at center)

Chara McAvoy
????? Carlo
Krug Miller/McQuaid

Trade targets: Hanifin or McDonaugh

Reactions: ORR2Sanderson2ORR

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
I stand pat and make a hockey trade during the off-season....go all in next season.

I think that it's risky to potentially waste a season where they have a chance at the first seed and home ice, by standing pat if there are players available that make your team better, in hopes of replicating the success they are having now next year. Especially considering the ages of Bergy, Chara, Krejci and Backes.

C0ach B0mbay

Sep 14, 2009
Boston
My two priorities would be:
  1. A big winger to activate the Krejci line. When he is going well in the playoffs, so are the bruins (2011, 2013). When he isn't, we struggle. I keep thinking back to when he's at his best and Lucic, Horton, and Iginla come to mind. I think Nash would be a great add (though he's never been stellar in the playoffs).
  2. I absolutely love Grzelcyk and what he's brought this year, but I keep thinking back to Krug's first big playoff run in 2013 and a few of the key mistakes he made in the finals. My plan would be: try to acquire McDonagh or OEL and keep Grzelcyk waiting in the wings for this year's playoff run. Next year I'd look to move Krug, and Grzelcyk would step in to his spot.
I realize that we likely wouldn't want to dump the assets to to make both of these deals, but I think either one would be great for our run this year.

DarrenBanks56

May 16, 2005
Hoffman-Krejci-Spooner
Debrusk- Backes-Heinen
Kuraly-Nash-Acciari
or
Marchand-Begeron-Pastrnak
Debrusk-Krejci-Stone
Heinen-Spooner-Backes
Kuraly-Nash-Acciari

Chara- McAvoy
McDonagh-Carlo
Krug- Miller/McQuaid

Id want this going in.

Glove Malfunction

Ference is my binky
Jan 1, 2009
Pleasantly warm, AZ
Is there any reason going all in for this season, when the team is playing as well as it is, and being able to go for it next season as well are mutually exclusive? I think if you're going to go for it, you go for it now, and let the team next year reap the benefits of the moves you make now.

Rumpy

Mar 13, 2002
Saskatchewan
Visit site
Iginla sucked? Are you referencing the failed trade? Because Iginla's season here was anything but "suck". 78 GP -- 30G -- 31A -- 61P (0.78 PPG). That's a pretty solid stat line.

Yes the trade! To this day I fully believe Bruins win if Iginla didnt have a change of heart. Jagr sucked!

It helps me sleep better at night that the scumbag never won after that. I hope he feels the same way I do and thinks about it everyday til he dies.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad