Post-Game Talk: NHL Trade Deadline - Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

TwineTickler

TheUltimateBruin
May 13, 2006
Fairfield County, CT
There'll be a team out there to give him a Staal like contract. No way he does short year and short money.

Then are you in agreement you sure as hell hope it's not here? He's played one game, he looks good, and hey maybe I'll feel different after the season/post season but I don't think I will. Get younger, get faster, allocate that money/term that it would take to get him to a player(s) that you can grow with, that are still on the uptick. I'm okay with Bergys deal... but Krejci and Backes contracts have me very very against paying any UFA over the age of 30 (especially one clearly on the decline) more than 2 years and more than 4 mil per.

Anyways, as for the deadline, I'm pretty happy with what Donny did, but what he did looked sooooooo much better at 259. That TB deal makes them a juggernaut in my estimation. My one concern with the Bruins is they have almost TOO many options. Do you roll with what got you here + Nash? Do you now sit Noel in favor of Wingels? I don't know, I think it might be hard to find the right combination and roll with it considering there are now so many mouths to feed. Hopefully chemistry/locker room continues to be strong and they keep rolling no matter who is out there. I'm interested to see.

Reactions: Thrive

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
Love the Wingels trade.
I love the Nash one if we can extend him another 2-3 years (or win the Cup)

Still not excited by the Holden trade. The Bruins have depth already at the bottom it is the top 4 depth that is nonexistent if there is an injury.

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
Nash extension scares the **** out of me.. already have a lot of money tied up in over 30 players... especially if we bring back Chara, which I hope isn't a sure thing yet either. Unless Nash wanted to do a 1/2 year deal at super short money (which I doubt to both) I'm not sure I'm okay with that. However, lets see how the rest of the season/post season plays out and go from there

I have faith that Chara wouldn’t force them to sign him to a contract that will hamper their efforts to compete for a cup,

I think that he’s playing for a cup and not money at this point.

Easy for me to say, I know, but I’m not saying he’ll play for the league minimum, I just don’t think he’ll hamstring them.

Grimey

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 4, 2017
Love the Wingels trade.
I love the Nash one if we can extend him another 2-3 years (or win the Cup)

Still not excited by the Holden trade. The Bruins have depth already at the bottom it is the top 4 depth that is nonexistent if there is an injury.

Forgot that Wingels had a couple 30 (almost 40) point seasons a few years ago with the Sharks. He would be great for the 4th line IMO, gritty player.

Reactions: PatriceBergeronFan

TwineTickler

TheUltimateBruin
May 13, 2006
Fairfield County, CT
I have faith that Chara wouldn’t force them to sign him to a contract that will hamper their efforts to compete for a cup,

I think that he’s playing for a cup and not money at this point.

Easy for me to say, I know, but I’m not saying he’ll play for the league minimum, I just don’t think he’ll hamstring them.

My hope is that he would go year to year. Not look for a 2 year deal. 1 year 2.5-3.5 I'd be okay with I suppose, provided he holds up over the rest of the year and if he plays well next year then you do something similar. Anything more than that would be too much. Cost 4 against the cap this year and certainly wouldn't want him on the cap for anything more than that

Reactions: sarge88

VanIsle

Jun 5, 2007
Comox Valley, B.C.
If the cap goes up the Bruins should have $20 million in space at minimum.

They could sign all these guys for $20 million no problem and Chara will be gone in a few years, so I don't think they will be that cap strapped.

Nash
Chara
Riley Nash
Kuraley
Schaller
Wingles
Holden
Gryzlek
Khudobin

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
I’d be fine with a 3 year 12-15m for Nash assuming he clicks on a top-6 line

Nash should age like guerin or tkachuk or glen murray. If he stays healthy and motivated... big men with a good shot usually dont noticably slow down before 35-36

However

Nash never had a reputation for being the hardest working most motivated player on his team

Its possible a longterm deal to him at 33 could look alot like nathan horton too

My radar sense says dont commit to aging vets that dont eat bleed and sleep hockey as their life

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
Then are you in agreement you sure as hell hope it's not here? He's played one game, he looks good, and hey maybe I'll feel different after the season/post season but I don't think I will. Get younger, get faster, allocate that money/term that it would take to get him to a player(s) that you can grow with, that are still on the uptick. I'm okay with Bergys deal... but Krejci and Backes contracts have me very very against paying any UFA over the age of 30 (especially one clearly on the decline) more than 2 years and more than 4 mil per.

Anyways, as for the deadline, I'm pretty happy with what Donny did, but what he did looked sooooooo much better at 259. That TB deal makes them a juggernaut in my estimation. My one concern with the Bruins is they have almost TOO many options. Do you roll with what got you here + Nash? Do you now sit Noel in favor of Wingels? I don't know, I think it might be hard to find the right combination and roll with it considering there are now so many mouths to feed. Hopefully chemistry/locker room continues to be strong and they keep rolling no matter who is out there. I'm interested to see.
Many good points.
At the end of the day, they still have to tie their skates and play in the ice.

Reactions: TwineTickler

HumBucker

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 7, 2005
Toronto
Good job Trader Don, imho. If nothing else, Wingles makes it much more unlikely that Gionta has to suit up.

The NHL is more about speed and skill than it's ever been, but the playoffs are still a battle, with every inch of ice contested. I feel much better going into a playoff battle with Rick Nash over Spooner, some experienced depth on D and in the bottom 6.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada

They could sign all these guys for $20 million no problem and Chara will be gone in a few years, so I don't think they will be that cap strapped.

Nash
Chara
Riley Nash
Kuraley
Schaller
Wingles
Holden
Gryzlek
Khudobin
Bruins current roster has 15 warm bodies next year for 57.5 mill

So you are correct... but your plan would make it impossible to create room for kids next year

Also committing to any of these guys for more than 1 year becomes a bigger prob later

But for next year... our cap is looking very nice with 1/2 of belesky gone and spooner off the books

s3antana5757

Feb 15, 2014

Nash
Chara
Riley Nash
Kuraley
Schaller
Wingles
Holden
Gryzlek
Khudobin

They absolutely do not have to sign half that list. Holden and Wingels will definitely not get deals. They could let Riley Nash and Schaller go no problem. Gryz and Kuraly are RFA, so the should come at a nice price. Chara probably comes back around $4 million. Heck, if they left Rick Nash go, they could sign all those guys for under $10 million. They will definitely have some money to play with. I hope they atleast poke around Tavares and the other big free agents.

Reactions: Oates2Neely

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
Nash should age like guerin or tkachuk or glen murray. If he stays healthy and motivated... big men with a good shot usually dont noticably slow down before 35-36

However

Nash never had a reputation for being the hardest working most motivated player on his team

Its possible a longterm deal to him at 33 could look alot like nathan horton too

My radar sense says dont commit to aging vets that dont eat bleed and sleep hockey as their life

That Nash rep has long been disproved the past few years with the Rangers.

Oates2Neely

Jan 19, 2010
Massachusetts

However

Not so sure why he gets tagged as lazy. He’s a big man, long stride, long reach. Sometimes bigger guys may look as if they don’t aren’t exurting that much energy but imo with Nash it’s in the mechanics of his skating stride. He clogs passing lanes with his long reach, and relies on his hands and long stick to attack opposing players. I see him in the corners, I see him in front of the net battling for position. He looks like a gamer to me. Let’s give him some time to adjust and see what Rick Nash is really all about before we cast judgment.

Reactions: Chief Nine

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
They absolutely do not have to sign half that list. Holden and Wingels will definitely not get deals. They could let Riley Nash and Schaller go no problem. Gryz and Kuraly are RFA, so the should come at a nice price. Chara probably comes back around $4 million. Heck, if they left Rick Nash go, they could sign all those guys for under $10 million. They will definitely have some money to play with. I hope they atleast poke around Tavares and the other big free agents.

Tavares or guys of that ilk are probably worth upsetting the applecart... but we must remember guys like that are 7-8 years commitments

It would cost us in years 2, 3, 4 as alot of our kids leave elc

For me the guy i like is john carlsson... his size/MOBILITY strikes me as a great partner for krug

Half the time i say krug should be dealt but all the time i say if we are keeping him lets find a partner that brings out the best and covers up the worst

Sign carlson to play with krug... let chara continue with mcavoy... let carlo get protected in the 3rd pair

Move the miller and mcquaid 5 mill cap hit

Thats my dream for offseason ufa

But tavares would be a decent second choice :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Thrive

Skelen

Jan 5, 2015

However

I know it was a long time ago but Nash carried Columbus pretty much single handed. He has the drive and the skill, I think its just been burried due to the lack of supporting cast. He has that now, and if he can find that drive and energy even if its just the rest of this season, he will help us go far.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
Not so sure why he gets tagged as lazy. He’s a big man, long stride, long reach. Sometimes bigger guys may look as if they don’t aren’t exurting that much energy but imo with Nash it’s in the mechanics of his skating stride. He clogs passing lanes with his long reach, and relies on his hands and long stick to attack opposing players. I see him in the corners, I see him in front of the net battling for position. He looks like a gamer to me. Let’s give him some time to adjust and see what Rick Nash is really all about before we cast judgment.

Its more about being a first overall that never elevated his team and feuded with some coaches.

Then was brought to the big apple to be the 7.8 mill star that stirred the drink... new york is a star driven market... lots of opportunitues to be huge on broadway

Nash just seems a guy that gets by on raw natural talent (which he has boatloads) and you wouldnt expect alot of stories about him running hockey schools in the offseason... or getting to the rink 4 hours early... or hiring person trainers to work on his body checking technique

Alot of players like chara or iginla get in the news a dozen times a year for their committment to hockey... some guys never do

Im not with nash 24/7 but ive heard bad things about him... not many good things...

Of course that was same for nathan horton and he was alright here for a couple years... joe thorntons rep is a bit better now than it was at 30...

Steve yzermans rep improved 1000% as he got older

We will see nash up close. No rush to sign him now. Lets see how he likes playing on a cup contender

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Ok. Im gonna set this one free.

We have player threads now if folks want to move there.
Feel free to use this one to discuss deals around the league.

Don Cherry

Sep 28, 2017
Tampa stole McDonagh.

Makes the Nash price tougher to handle.
I find it hard to believe Sweeney couldn't better that offer. Standing back and watching Tampa become favorites while we got hosed the day before on an aging winger seems pretty unacceptable.

At least we got rid of Vatrano and finally added a player with an ounce+ of grit in Wingles.

Oates2Neely

Jan 19, 2010
Massachusetts
Its more about being a first overall that never elevated his team and feuded with some coaches.

Then was brought to the big apple to be the 7.8 mill star that stirred the drink... new york is a star driven market... lots of opportunitues to be huge on broadway

Nash just seems a guy that gets by on raw natural talent (which he has boatloads) and you wouldnt expect alot of stories about him running hockey schools in the offseason... or getting to the rink 4 hours early... or hiring person trainers to work on his body checking technique

Alot of players like chara or iginla get in the news a dozen times a year for their committment to hockey... some guys never do

Im not with nash 24/7 but ive heard bad things about him... not many good things...

Of course that was same for nathan horton and he was alright here for a couple years... joe thorntons rep is a bit better now than it was at 30...

Steve yzermans rep improved 1000% as he got older

We will see nash up close. No rush to sign him now. Lets see how he likes playing on a cup contender
He was asked to carry a putrid Columbus team for years and did well there statistically at least. I’ve never really liked his Ranger teams.

Not every player is going to have the drive to workout like Tom Brady, Chara, Jagr, Chelios etc. I don’t read many stories of Patrick Kane showing up to the rink 2 hours before practice. I don’t know anything about Nash’s personal training habits, but I don’t see where the lazy tag originated. Maybe like Joe Thornton, Nash isn’t a guy who can carry a team on his shoulders. Thankfully the Bruins have Bergeron Marchand Chara Rask Pastrnak Krejci for that. He was brought in to score goals, and play a solid 200 foot game. Nothing that I see right now should hinder him from doing that.

I like the move.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad