Post-Game Talk: NHL TRADE DEADLINE DAY 8 AM - ESPN+, NHLN, TSN, SN, NESN @ 2:30

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
Yeah Carolina.

It was their owner.
Even better. This was one of the most exciting deadlines (if we factor in the full 2 weeks of action) I can remember. Lots of big names moved, lots of big names rumored to be available. I lost count of the times I saw the trade tag on this site and then took a deep breath because it wasn't Carolina. They dropped the ball big time

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
Gotta think at least 1 or 2 of these players will be re-signed.
Who knows what the future holds. The teams not even cap compliant now if everyone's healthy, Pastas big deal kicks in next year and all these new guys will command more than their current $ going forward.

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
Not sure who has a worse TDL, Carolina or Philly.

Canes see literally every team in the east, especially the contenders add significant pieces...and decide that Puljujarvi and Ghost is enough. They had a chance to make a true impact move and push BOS, but instead probably fell to the middle of the pack in the east. And are also in a dead heat with NJ to win that division.

Not sure why Philly did nothing but acquire Brendan Lemieux. How does Fletcher still have a job?

I don't see the Canes as 'middle of the pack' amongst the contenders, even now. That roster is stacked and equally importantly they have an identity and they have consistently drafted and brought in players who fit the way they play. They're still going to be a tough match up for any team in the east.

However, that said, I'm stunned and pleasantly surprised that they've done so little in this trade period. They had the room, the pieces and the incentive to go hard to make the team even better, especially with Patches on the shelf, and yet all they've done is tinker. Weird. Either their GM really believes in what he has already and didn't want to risk messing it up, or more likely he simply failed to get the moves done that he wanted to.

Again, I still see them as a legit challenger, but they're not as much a threat as they might have been. Good for us.

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore
I don't see the Canes as 'middle of the pack' amongst the contenders, even now. That roster is stacked and equally importantly they have an identity and they have consistently drafted and brought in players who fit the way they play. They're still going to be a tough match up for any team in the east.

However, that said, I'm stunned and pleasantly surprised that they've done so little in this trade period. They had the room, the pieces and the incentive to go hard to make the team even better, especially with Patches on the shelf, and yet all they've done is tinker. Weird. Either their GM really believes in what he has already and didn't want to risk messing it up, or more likely he simply failed to get the moves done that he wanted to.

Again, I still see them as a legit challenger, but they're not as much a threat as they might have been. Good for us.
They have a good roster, but they had all the tools to make a move for a player to put them over the top and separate themselves, but did nothing.

Instead you have their two biggest threats to move on in the playoffs in NYR/NJ get significantly better.

Not sure CAR is even the best team in that division anymore tbh.

Reactions: Aussie Bruin

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
They have a good roster, but they had all the tools to make a move for a player to put them over the top and separate themselves, but did nothing.

Instead you have their two biggest threats to move on in the playoffs in NYR/NJ get significantly better.

Yeah on paper it's probably the Rangers, then NJ vying with Carolina for 2nd best. I still fancy the Canes just on their balance and cohesion though. Will that be enough? We'll see.

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019

I'm far from sold on NJ. Their D Corp is not as good as Carolina nor IMO is their tending. They will get taken out by either Carolina or NYR. Rangers can definitely
beat Carolina.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad