GDT: NHL Trade Deadline 2018 | Feb. 26, 2018 | 3:00pm ET | 21:00 CET

DaBolts

Stanley Cup Boat Parades ROCK
Feb 3, 2015
Glad Yzerman had the balls to go for Erik Karlsson to the last minute, just further increases our confidence in him as a GM.

Ottawa is going to regret not pulling the trigger on this trade. They could have had 3 prospects and 3 draft picks I bet. Instead, they walk away empty handed and all the smoke about Karlsson wanting to stay there is bunk. Karlsson is bugging out for a contender the minute the 2019 season is over.

Stammertime91

TBL: TEAM OF THE CENTURY
Dec 13, 2011
Tampa: NHL's Newest Dynasty
I doubt he stays there for next season too. Karlsson will probably be moved during the summer. As much as they've done wrong, moving him for nothing (letting him walk) would be even more disastrous.

They really should resign him though. Their franchise is going to struggle as it is, moving him won't help their cause. If they move him or let him walk, it's even worse for Melnyk and Dorion.

DaBolts

Feb 3, 2015
Stammertime, he's not a happy camper and he won't get much interest as a 1 year rental and UFA status after 2019 during the draft. The most any sane team would offer is a prospect and a 2nd plus a late rounder.

The nice thing about all this is that Stevie Y is making our Bolts a VERY attractive place to give a local discount and come on down for some sun and fun on the ice. We might (and I'm not saying Karlsson) land some nice UFA's willing to play for a bit less to win big and strengthen their negotiating power after a 2 or 3 year stint here.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
I doubt he stays there for next season too. Karlsson will probably be moved during the summer. As much as they've done wrong, moving him for nothing (letting him walk) would be even more disastrous.

They really should resign him though. Their franchise is going to struggle as it is, moving him won't help their cause. If they move him or let him walk, it's even worse for Melnyk and Dorion.

From an PR standpoint they did right by holding onto him, they cannot afford to not even try to re-sign the guy it's just going to look bad for all future players, and the fans were ready to lose it. It's no surprise they issued a statement right after the deadline that they will extend Karlsson an offer. But it doesn't mean he'll take it, I think Dorian is completely mis-reading Karlsson, the guy does not look happy and he can get paid anywhere of his choosing.

Their management is coming in from a position of weakness, you can't play hardball with him on the next offer - they should immediately give him their best offer right off the bat and gauge his response, if he doesn't take it you gotta move him this summer.

Reactions: Stammertime91

Stammertime91

Dec 13, 2011
Stammertime, he's not a happy camper and he won't get much interest as a 1 year rental and UFA status after 2019 during the draft. The most any sane team would offer is a prospect and a 2nd plus a late rounder.

The nice thing about all this is that Stevie Y is making our Bolts a VERY attractive place to give a local discount and come on down for some sun and fun on the ice. We might (and I'm not saying Karlsson) land some nice UFA's willing to play for a bit less to win big and strengthen their negotiating power after a 2 or 3 year stint here.

Maybe I should've added something about an extension. I think he would still generate interest and garner something decent in the summer as opposed to giving him and offer of 10 million and he still walks for nothing at the end of next season. I think San Jose can let Thornton walk in the summer and make a push and Vegas can certainly make an enticing offer that doesn't jeopardize anything there, gives them a franchise player and generates a lot of revenue and interest (even moreso) to their new team. Part of the problem is what you are alluding to, where does he truly want to play?

Disagree with the second part. I don't think we will be landing any UFAs anytime soon with Point, Kucherov and Gourde getting raises in 2-3 years. Same with McDonagh (if he's a long term solution - idk what Yzerman has in mind for him), Vasy and others. We can maybe shed 2 of Palat, Killorn and Johnson, along with Coburn, Girardi, Kunitz, and Sustr coming off the books (by then) and not looking like long term solutions frees up nearly 10 million so its a lot of speculating but it comes down to who earns it (stays and their raise), who plays themself off the team, and where Karlsson wants to play - and how low he would sign for.

Realistically, I can't see us signing any UFAs this summer. He may be Yzerman's next big play in 2019, which I think we'd be fine with lol.

From an PR standpoint they did right by holding onto him, they cannot afford to not even try to re-sign the guy it's just going to look bad for all future players, and the fans were ready to lose it. It's no surprise they issued a statement right after the deadline that they will extend Karlsson an offer. But it doesn't mean he'll take it, I think Dorian is completely mis-reading Karlsson, the guy does not look happy and he can get paid anywhere of his choosing.

Their management is coming in from a position of weakness, you can't play hardball with him on the next offer - they should immediately give him their best offer right off the bat and gauge his response, if he doesn't take it you gotta move him this summer.

Agreed. I've always held the position of trying to get a player for something even if the circumstance is dire than to let him just walk. They really need to mend the bridge for the sake of their fans and franchise but it doesn't look hopeful. If he's moved this summer, somebody better have an extension agreed upon or come FA in 2019, he won't be there.

DaBolts

Feb 3, 2015
Stammer, I'm not talking major front line UFAs, but the supporting cast like a younger Coburn, better player than Paquette, etc. Those players are always out there for less than $2 million and Stevie Y has a way of finding those gems of UFAs...

Stammertime91

Dec 13, 2011
Stammer, I'm not talking major front line UFAs, but the supporting cast like a younger Coburn, better player than Paquette, etc. Those players are always out there for less than $2 million and Stevie Y has a way of finding those gems of UFAs...

Ah, gotcha. Misunderstood! Yeah I would have loved to have seen Vanek signed this year for his cap hit. He's not done yet and he would have been a nice fit. Not the quickest but he's a big body. Maybe he can move Coburn and we see 77/McDonagh/98 down the left next year or if they switch one of the lefties over and KK gets a chance we can save ~2 million by replacing Coburn with Slater. Kunitz has been a great fit so I wouldn't oppose seeing him resigned but if he's not, maybe someone else steps up and that saves us some money as well.

The one good thing is what you said, whether it's through drafting or FA, we never really seem to have to worry about landing somebody surprising that pans out for us. Who in their right mind at the beginning of last season would think both Yanni freaking Gourde and Brayden Point would be the players they are this season? Pretty remarkable.

Reactions: DaBolts

DaBolts

Feb 3, 2015
Heck Stammer, who would have thought that Kunitz and Girardi would be THAT important to our team this year! They are both major upgrades over some of the scrubs we've brought in in the past. Hell, Kunitz could be that deadly player who steals several playoff games for us.

Stammertime91

Dec 13, 2011
Yeah I was really ticked at both signings. I remember wanting Marleau and after those were the only two signings, I said, "went from wanting Marleau to ending up with Kunitz and Girardi wtf."

Well guess who feels dumb now? Looool

Reactions: DaBolts

Bolt 45

Oct 19, 2015
Heck Stammer, who would have thought that Kunitz and Girardi would be THAT important to our team this year! They are both major upgrades over some of the scrubs we've brought in in the past. Hell, Kunitz could be that deadly player who steals several playoff games for us.
Kunitz is that player already. He's a playoff performer. I almost think that's part of the reason we brought him in. Regardless, given his numbers last year, we've already gotten our money's worth out of him.

I was also unhappy about that acquisition, and I've been eating crow for months. It doesn't taste too bad, to be honest.

DaBolts

Feb 3, 2015
Kunitz is that player already. He's a playoff performer. I almost think that's part of the reason we brought him in. Regardless, given his numbers last year, we've already gotten our money's worth out of him.

I was also unhappy about that acquisition, and I've been eating crow for months. It doesn't taste too bad, to be honest.

Do what I did as I wondered why we signed them:

Roast the crow with a lot of A-1. Because when I've watch Kunitz and Girardi this year, that crow tastes sooooo good.:thumbu:

Reactions: Bolt 45

emg0827

Apr 4, 2015
Maybe I should've added something about an extension. I think he would still generate interest and garner something decent in the summer as opposed to giving him and offer of 10 million and he still walks for nothing at the end of next season. I think San Jose can let Thornton walk in the summer and make a push and Vegas can certainly make an enticing offer that doesn't jeopardize anything there, gives them a franchise player and generates a lot of revenue and interest (even moreso) to their new team. Part of the problem is what you are alluding to, where does he truly want to play?

Disagree with the second part. I don't think we will be landing any UFAs anytime soon with Point, Kucherov and Gourde getting raises in 2-3 years. Same with McDonagh (if he's a long term solution - idk what Yzerman has in mind for him), Vasy and others. We can maybe shed 2 of Palat, Killorn and Johnson, along with Coburn, Girardi, Kunitz, and Sustr coming off the books (by then) and not looking like long term solutions frees up nearly 10 million so its a lot of speculating but it comes down to who earns it (stays and their raise), who plays themself off the team, and where Karlsson wants to play - and how low he would sign for.

Realistically, I can't see us signing any UFAs this summer. He may be Yzerman's next big play in 2019, which I think we'd be fine with lol.

Agreed. I've always held the position of trying to get a player for something even if the circumstance is dire than to let him just walk. They really need to mend the bridge for the sake of their fans and franchise but it doesn't look hopeful. If he's moved this summer, somebody better have an extension agreed upon or come FA in 2019, he won't be there.

I'm not as sure about us and UFA's, though i don't think its likely i do believe Yzerman will make a pitch for a Karlsson or Tavares if the do hit UFA, He's the type of GM who never gets locked into one player or plan and because of that he seems to be in on just about everything. Also while Kucherov and Vasi's raises are going to be big(Kuch's especially) I'm not so sure that point/gourde/sergachev will be particularly expensive in the next 2 years. Point will certainly get paid, though i don't think it will be a backbreaking contract by any means, however Gourde to me seems like the exact type of player who would accept a long-term deal with less AAV but would secure his place in the NHL, would not be surprised to see him sign a 5-6 yr deal @~4.5 mil. to me Gourde more than anyone screams loyalty to the organization and with a lot of other players taking pay cuts its certainly possible. Serg on the other hand, now that we have Mcdonagh will most likely not see as much ice time over the next 2 years as he would otherwise, plus its pretty rare for defensemen to sign a mega deal immediately after there ELC. I believe Jones and Ekblad were the last 2. I think its more likely he gets a shorter term deal maybe 2-3 years @4ish mil before he signs that eventual huge deal later.

Also even taking into account the assets we lost in the Mcdonagh trade we still have foote, cirelli,joseph, stephens, raddysh and katchouk in the system. I think there are at least 2 solid NHL contributors in there who could make a johnson or palat trade to clear cap space possible in the next couple of years. Not saying any major FA acquisitions happen but i do think its likely We will take a long, hard look at top FA's in the coming years. the roster flexibility we've gotten from Stamemr at 8.5 mil cap hit when he could've gotten 10+ and Hedman at 7.8 mil cap hit when he easily could have asked for 10+ as well is what makes me apprehensive about us being out on any talented UFA's. Yzerman is always trying to add talent.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad