Speculation: NHL Trade Deadline 2017

xteesy

Jun 19, 2014
Tampa
This team has all but handcuffed Yzerman.

Could we win the cup? Possible.

Could we make the playoffs? Possible.

Will we miss the playoffs? Possible.

Short of winning out (which until recently, I didn't realize it but we practically did that last year) we're screwed.

Poor guy, this is the equivalent of playing Russian roulette. No matter what we do, strong chance we still lose.

dechire

TBL Stanley Cup Champs 2020 2021
Jul 8, 2014
inconnu
Care to explain?

You don't just pick and choose the years you retain on. You retain for the length of the contract. Garrison and Filppula are both signed for another year. Any retention will count against next season's cap.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
You don't just pick and choose the years you retain on. You retain for the length of the contract. Garrison and Filppula are both signed for another year. Any retention will count against next season's cap.

I know, but even retaining 50% on Garrison and replacing him with Koekkoek will most likely save us over 1mil probably more since Koekkoek won't be resigned for much. Retaining 50% on Filppula and replacing him with someone from Syracuse saves us over 1.5. We won't be adding cap next year by retaining we will be saving cap because we have cheap replacements waiting.

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
Rumor has it from McKenzie that a team offered Shattenkirk 7x6 million and Shatty turned it down. EE speculates that it was Yzerman who negotiated the contract.

WOW :popcorn::scared:

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Thank god, the guy is not worth 6m, keep him away from this team.

Iceman

Jun 9, 2014
The only guy who deserves a long term contract is Kuch.

If this Shattenkirk thing went through, what do you guys think would've gone the other way?

Flat Ronnie

Feb 11, 2014
Hahaha...shows how much people on here know.

All you've heard the last 2 months:

"We're not interested in Shatty"

"We'll never pay him that much"

"There's no way we can afford him"

"Impossible to sign him with our current cap situation"

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
Rumor has it from McKenzie that a team offered Shattenkirk 7x6 million and Shatty turned it down. EE speculates that it was Yzerman who negotiated the contract.

WOW :popcorn::scared:

Wow with no state taxes in Florida I'm surprised he turned that down! If that's true no way shatty comes here now.

Flat Ronnie

Feb 11, 2014
Theory:

Shatty vetoing the deal might not be about him not wanting to come to Tampa but more about cash. It would seem unlikely that both sides would bother negotiating a sign and trade if Shatty was unwilling to come here. I bet he agreed on Tampa as a destination but wants major bucks to go.

Depending on how much Yzerman wants him, it's scary to think this deal could still get done if Steve bends over.

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
Theory:

Shatty vetoing the deal might not be about him not wanting to come to Tampa but more about cash. It would seem unlikely that both sides would bother negotiating a sign and trade if Shatty was unwilling to come here. I bet he agreed on Tampa as a destination but wants major bucks to go.

Depending on how much Yzerman wants him, it's scary to think this deal could still get done if Steve bends over.
Man I wonder if yzerman goes to 6.5 and this gets done question is what goes back to the blues if it gets done ?

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Thank god, the guy is not worth 6m, keep him away from this team.

That contract would be Carle-esque pretty quickly. He's in a good position in St. Louis which covers a ton of his flaws. He is not a good defenseman.

RegularSznAllStars

Sep 23, 2014
That contract would be Carle-esque pretty quickly. He's in a good position in St. Louis which covers a ton of his flaws. He is not a good defenseman.

Yeah, I dont want anything to do with this. Yzerman has gotta slow down on trying to give term to guys who are in their late 20s (think Shatty is 29). You want to give a 25 year old Hedman 8 years? Lets do it. But I am not about it for players a few tiers down and are quite a bit older.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad