NHL to Vegas part IV: Up to the BoG now (Expansion bid submitted)

Status
Not open for further replies.

BattleBorn

50% to winning as many division titles as Toronto
Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
Because we need another team to be militarily themed, and Air Force themed on top of that.

I'm thinking the name contest is nothing more than a ruse and that the haters should get used to Black Knights. That name was pretty much confirmed when the team colors were revealed.

Unless the public hates the name they aren't going to change it (something similar happened with the Raiders, they had a fake name contest and were going to called the Oakland Señors until the public got angry and forced them to change it). People aren't going to get angry at Black Knights.

I don't think the military/Air Force thing is a big deal. Even if it was the Aces, I'm sure it would be more like Sparky's proposal than Winnipeg's logo.

I don't know that the announced colors have much to do with the name since the arena is likely going to be those colors on the interior anyways. I doubt the team will have much discretion on the arena's concourse design and overall aesthetic and the team took their lead from the arena's design team in the selection of silver, gold, and gray. That seems to be MGM's preferences lately in everything they build.

Further, there's really nothing to gain by saying you're having a contest and then not having a real contest. I doubt the chance to cast a vote for the team's name sold many deposits. However, announcing the owner's preference for a name likely tainted the voter pool. I doubt Black Knights would even be a contender if there was no mention of that being the preference. Meanwhile, with almost everything concerning the potential team being linked to the "Black Knights" it's pretty much guaranteed to make the final list, and will likely be the choice if all the other suggestions suck like Minnesota and Phoenix's contests.

TheHockeyRant

Apr 19, 2014
Reno, NV
My perception having visited the state several times.

Sportsfans in Reno are more likely to cheer for a team in Miami than one in Las Vegas.

If you take away Las Vegas and Reno you are left with nothing as Nevada is as desolate as you can get in the US.

Given I'm from northern Nevada, I doubt it. The reason being this would be the first PRO team in the state. It in a sense would unify Nevada.
Also even if it doesn't Reno is a solid 7-8 hour drive to Vegas (it blows) So it's not like it will be a constant trip people make.
Reno to San Jose is 4- 4.5 hours which is WAAAAAY shorter.

TheHockeyRant

Apr 19, 2014
Reno, NV
I suppose it might also not hurt if a Vegas NHL team decided to put their AHL affiliate in Reno along with the recently created California division, though they'd need a viable arena in that market.

Obviously, due to the distance, I doubt that they'd expect many, if any, drive-ins from Reno folks for a game in Vegas, but a Vegas NHL team would assuredly want the broadcasting rights to the entirety of their state (and bleedover into other states). As Fenway said, there's really nothing outside the immediate Las Vegas metro area and the Reno metro area.

Nevada_population_map.png

Okay I LOVE THAT IDEA! I miss the Reno Renegades so much. Still have the banners.

At this time someone owns the rights to the Renegades/ Rage but there is no plans for a new arena.

Glacial

Jan 8, 2013
It's odd to choose the name Knights when a team in your division is called the Kings.

"Black" Knights is just a really stupid name. Really stupid. Roller hockey bad.

On the up side, it has strong meme potential from a famous movie scene. Losing streak with playoff hopes going out of control?- "Tis but a scratch". :laugh:

Stonewall

Jan 14, 2013
Would the NHL really let the Vegas arena sit there for a year waiting for the Seattle one to get built, assuming it does?

nhllondon

Sep 6, 2014
Would the NHL really let the Vegas arena sit there for a year waiting for the Seattle one to get built, assuming it does?

I don't know how letting the Vegas arena sit there for a year waiting for the Seattle one to get built helps Gary Bettman get two expansion fees. It's not necessary to have double expansion at the same time. There is a chance that the Seattle arena won't be ready for 2017. My biggest fear is that Vegas is going to be delayed until 2018 or 2019 because of the Seattle arena situation.

DyerMaker66*

Foley floated the idea of the team being called Nevada instead of Las Vegas prior to or shortly after the beginning of the ticket drive. There was an uproar the likes of which I haven't seen in a while.

There's a pretty strong rivalry/dislike between Las Vegas and Reno, Southern Nevada vs Northern Nevada, etc. That idea was pretty much shut down, with Foley admitting it was a mistake to even suggest it. If the powers that be get freaked out by it, it may be an issue. The team won't actually be in Las Vegas, but rather the unincorporated city of Paradise.

I don't see the city freaking out over it, though.

Oh great, another Glendale.

sparkychewbarky

Jan 27, 2012
It's odd to choose the name Knights when a team in your division is called the Kings.

"Black" Knights is just a really stupid name. Really stupid. Roller hockey bad.

For the heck of it, I've been working on a "Black Knights" identity, and it's been a lot tougher than the "Aces" concept. There just isn't that verbal connection with the city. Trying to come up with a visual "Vegas" knight image, rather than just a generic one is difficult.
However, this...

On the up side, it has strong meme potential from a famous movie scene. Losing streak with playoff hopes going out of control?- "Tis but a scratch". :laugh:

If the concept CAN be refined, the "meme" potential; the marketing and game-ops potential of a medieval knights theme would be a promoter's dream.
Think of the references to movies alone that could be used...

After a fight or a big hit...

bk2-040.jpg

Prior to a power play...

bk2-026.jpg

Last edited:

IceAce

Strait Trippin'
Jun 9, 2010
Philadelphia
For the heck of it, I've been working on a "Black Knights" identity, and it's been a lot tougher than the "Aces" concept. There just isn't that verbal connection with the city. Trying to come up with a visual "Vegas" knight image, rather than just a generic one is difficult.
However, this...

If the concept CAN be refined, the "meme" potential; the marketing and game-ops potential of a medieval knights theme would be a promoter's dream.
Think of the references to movies alone that could be used...

After a fight or a big hit...

bk2-040.jpg

Prior to a power play...

bk2-026.jpg

I could just envision a raucous crowd cheering "Ni!" when their opponents take the ice....

cutchemist42

Apr 7, 2011
Winnipeg
I personally dont see either why the NHL would need to stick so hard for a 2 team expansion. If LV is ready before Seattle, just do it.

Glacial

Jan 8, 2013
Most of the Las Vegas strip is in Paradise. The arena is right off the strip. So, it is right in the heart of the Vegas entertainment district.

Yeah. Paradise isn't really a suburb as it is an unincorporated area for various purposes, similar to why loads of offices and headquarters are in unincorporated Cobb County in the Atlanta metro area. No municipal government to deal with, just the county government on up. Glendale is a proper suburb.

requiredusername

Apr 9, 2015

It is not about waiting a year. It is about making sure everything behind the scenes is done right. Negotiating an expansion fee, setting up an AHL franchise, putting in place the front office including scouts, approving the expansion roster draft, etc.

The back office stuff does not happen overnight and while there have been discussions nothing is finalized.

The league wants everything to go smooth and it is better to err on the side of caution than rush things.

Although there are quite a few GM's that would love the opportunity to get contracts like Richards, Clowe, Vinny, and others off their books in an expansion draft by paying draft picks to Las Vegas to take them. They would love the team to start next year or the year thereafter.

BattleBorn

Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
Las Vegas isn't going to work, I'm willing to bet they'll be reloacted within 3-5 yrs.

In your expert opinion, do you think people with 5 and 10 year season ticket commitments will get compensated when the team is relocated?

Stonewall

Jan 14, 2013
Oh great, another Glendale.

From wikipedia

"Paradise is an unincorporated town and census-designated place (CDP) in Clark County, Nevada, United States, adjacent to the city of Las Vegas. The population was 223,167 at the 2010 census.[1] As an unincorporated town, it is governed by the Clark County Commission with input from the Paradise Town Advisory Board. Paradise was formed on December 8, 1950.[2]

Paradise contains McCarran International Airport; the University of Nevada, Las Vegas; and most of the Las Vegas Strip. Paradise contains most tourist attractions in the Las Vegas area, excluding downtown. Despite this, the name Paradise remains relatively unknown. All Paradise ZIP codes have Las Vegas mailing addresses. Paradise is the most populous CDP in the contiguous United States."

BattleBorn

Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
From wikipedia

"Paradise is an unincorporated town and census-designated place (CDP) in Clark County, Nevada, United States, adjacent to the city of Las Vegas. The population was 223,167 at the 2010 census.[1] As an unincorporated town, it is governed by the Clark County Commission with input from the Paradise Town Advisory Board. Paradise was formed on December 8, 1950.[2]

Paradise contains McCarran International Airport; the University of Nevada, Las Vegas; and most of the Las Vegas Strip. Paradise contains most tourist attractions in the Las Vegas area, excluding downtown. Despite this, the name Paradise remains relatively unknown. All Paradise ZIP codes have Las Vegas mailing addresses. Paradise is the most populous CDP in the contiguous United States."

Vegas is unique in that the actual City of Las Vegas doesn't include what many would consider the "core" of the metro area. I just brought it up as a point in the Las Vegas/Nevada team name debate.

Since the majority of people in the Las Vegas metro area live in unincorporated Clark County, it's not a major issue. Unincorporated Clark County is still "Las Vegas" even though it's not in the City of Las Vegas. The only real differences between living in unincorporated Clark County versus the City of Las Vegas are slightly higher property taxes in the city, a different fire department, and different local government. The police are the same, the school district is the same, the mailing addresses are the same, the street signs look the same, the sales tax is the same. It's pretty much the same for all intents and purposes.

I'd say a good portion of the population of metro Las Vegas wouldn't be able to tell you whether they're in the city or county at any given time unless they've got a business that requires them to know. Heck, even the police have to ask the dispatcher whether they're in the city or county half the time.

Like I said, it's like NYC but with unincorporated areas and the city of Las Vegas instead of boroughs and a lot less knowledge about what area they're in from the public.

Melrose Munch

Mar 18, 2007
Vegas is unique in that the actual City of Las Vegas doesn't include what many would consider the "core" of the metro area. I just brought it up as a point in the Las Vegas/Nevada team name debate.

Since the majority of people in the Las Vegas metro area live in unincorporated Clark County, it's not a major issue. Unincorporated Clark County is still "Las Vegas" even though it's not in the City of Las Vegas. The only real differences between living in unincorporated Clark County versus the City of Las Vegas are slightly higher property taxes in the city, a different fire department, and different local government. The police are the same, the school district is the same, the mailing addresses are the same, the street signs look the same, the sales tax is the same. It's pretty much the same for all intents and purposes.

I'd say a good portion of the population of metro Las Vegas wouldn't be able to tell you whether they're in the city or county at any given time unless they've got a business that requires them to know. Heck, even the police have to ask the dispatcher whether they're in the city or county half the time.

Like I said, it's like NYC but with unincorporated areas and the city of Las Vegas instead of boroughs and a lot less knowledge about what area they're in from the public.
A lot of places in the west are unincorporated for tax reasons, this is where this comes from. Clark County, NV, is also an address that's used by people at times.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad