NHL to Vegas part IV: Up to the BoG now (Expansion bid submitted)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Glacial

Jan 8, 2013
My perception having visited the state several times.

Sportsfans in Reno are more likely to cheer for a team in Miami than one in Las Vegas.

If you take away Las Vegas and Reno you are left with nothing as Nevada is as desolate as you can get in the US.

Indeed. They have a county in Nevada the size of Massachusetts but it has only 11,000 or so people and 10,000 or more of those are only in the far corner of the county. Nevada is extremely desolate. If you subtract Clark County (Vegas metro) & the Reno metro area, that removes 85.5% of Nevada's population from the equation, leaving about 400,000 people left, 100,000 of which look to be very close to Reno. There are many intervals where the next gas station is 80-100 miles away. I can't think of any other area in the US where those gaps get that far except western Utah. Of course, it seems like Canada has gaps like this once one goes far enough north.

Hmmm, is there anywhere in Northern Ontario with gaps like this?

PCSPounder

Stadium Groupie
Apr 12, 2012
The Outskirts of Nutria Nanny
The best chances Vegas has at a "regional sports network"...

...Reno is closer to San Jose and has a Bay Area influence. I tend to think Vegas won't get that area.

St. George in Utah, maybe Kingman and Lake Havasu in Arizona. Maybe Vegas can pull that into their realm. Maybe even further into Utah, frankly (which is Cedar City and not much else). Washington County Utah: 148,000 and growing fast. Mohave County, AZ: 203,000 and growing reasonably well. That almost makes up for Reno, if it can be pulled off (maybe Ice Arizona knew something when they renamed the Coyotes to Arizona).

BattleBorn

50% to winning as many division titles as Toronto
Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
The best chances Vegas has at a "regional sports network"...

...Reno is closer to San Jose and has a Bay Area influence. I tend to think Vegas won't get that area.

St. George in Utah, maybe Kingman and Lake Havasu in Arizona. Maybe Vegas can pull that into their realm. Maybe even further into Utah, frankly (which is Cedar City and not much else). Washington County Utah: 148,000 and growing fast. Mohave County, AZ: 203,000 and growing reasonably well. That almost makes up for Reno, if it can be pulled off (maybe Ice Arizona knew something when they renamed the Coyotes to Arizona).

I wouldn't be at all surprised if Root Sports Utah picked up the rights to the Las Vegas team. They've got nothing but the Jazz now and needing an additional source of programming while adding the their market seems like a good move. Add hockey, UNLV, and change the name. Only issue is having two winter sports rights.

Especially if Hockey Vision sets the AHL team up in West Valley City.

PCSPounder

Stadium Groupie
Apr 12, 2012
The Outskirts of Nutria Nanny
I wouldn't be at all surprised if Root Sports Utah picked up the rights to the Las Vegas team. They've got nothing but the Jazz now and needing an additional source of programming while adding the their market seems like a good move. Add hockey, UNLV, and change the name. Only issue is having two winter sports rights.

Especially if Hockey Vision sets the AHL team up in West Valley City.

I'm imagining Vegas trying for that West Valley play and the California and Alberta clan screaming at Foley to set up in Fresno. I'd pay some for admission to one of those conference calls.

Stonewall

Jan 14, 2013
Las Vegas won't get its own RSN, Fox Sports West or Prime Ticket will pick up Black Knights games and blackout the Kings and Ducks.

Jeffrey93

Nov 7, 2007
Searching through all the this and that about this topic has proven to be tiresome and unsuccessful. What's the update on the ticket drive?

kdb209

Jan 26, 2005
Searching through all the this and that about this topic has proven to be tiresome and unsuccessful. What's the update on the ticket drive?

They hit 11,000 last week, have sold out the P6 (cheapest) seats, and almost sold out the P1 (most expensive) seats.

Jeffrey93

Nov 7, 2007
They hit 11,000 last week, have sold out the P6 (cheapest) seats, and almost sold out the P1 (most expensive) seats.

Must have missed the big media firestorm. Thanks.

I think I asked this before but....what other expansion markets held a ticket drive? What relocation markets held a ticket drive? Did any have a substantial impact in the league's decision?

I mean...I get it. I do. They're proving limited time interest in the form of a 10% deposit. If that many people are willing to shell out non-refundable dollars there must be some interest there.

At the end of the day, does that matter? Or is this whole thing a marketing ploy? Or a way to dare the NHL? Either way, smart I guess. With a ticket drive like this one....better hope this team thrives, or any future "show of support" will be tainted. League might not be so willing to support such endeavors either.

Basically...I hope this ticket drive doesn't turn into a Daigle. IF....it even results in a team. Still a big IF. The NHL likes to keep a willing and proven market on the back burner for decades as a way to threaten current markets to build rinks and offer sweet leases. So, I guess what I'm saying is...the league will do what it wants regardless of ticket drives, fan support, potential revenue, etc.

If the NHL puts out an expansion competition....does anyone think this ticket drive would have played a significant role? What if...I don't know....say....Cleveland, Milwaukee, Seattle, Portland, Kansas City, Houston, Hartford, Quebec City, etc. had ticket drives? Would their results be ranked then the winner chosen as the new NHL market? I doubt it.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
It's odd to choose the name Knights when a team in your division is called the Kings.

"Black" Knights is just a really stupid name. Really stupid. Roller hockey bad.

Jeffrey93

Nov 7, 2007
It's odd to choose the name Knights when a team in your division is called the Kings.

I agree.

Can we get a populated list of potential names? Outlaws, Knights, Aces, etc.?

I can't imagine the NHL would be too thrilled about any gambling references in the team name. Las Vegas Posse is still a big option! :laugh:

Jeffrey93

Nov 7, 2007

From a purely business and well...moronic "league" angle, do you think the NHL is on board with the hashtags being used? Honestly, I've never seen such a brazen and 'flaunt in your face' approach to expansion like this. The NHL must be on board right? If they weren't I'd assume EHClothing would get the word down the pipe to knock it off. Wouldn't they?

Would the NHL let this go on simply to drum up interest in the NHL in that market?

I really didn't think about it until now, but the NHL is getting nothing but free publicity out of this in that market. They're doing nothing, promising nothing. But getting piles of people talking about them. Couldn't it become a carrot being dangled?

Feb 7, 2012
Seattle
From a purely business and well...moronic "league" angle, do you think the NHL is on board with the hashtags being used? Honestly, I've never seen such a brazen and 'flaunt in your face' approach to expansion like this. The NHL must be on board right? If they weren't I'd assume EHClothing would get the word down the pipe to knock it off. Wouldn't they?

Would the NHL let this go on simply to drum up interest in the NHL in that market?

I really didn't think about it until now, but the NHL is getting nothing but free publicity out of this in that market. They're doing nothing, promising nothing. But getting piles of people talking about them. Couldn't it become a carrot being dangled?

I think NHL in Las Vegas is the worst kept secret right now.

AdmiralsFan24

Mar 22, 2011
Wisconsin

Black Knights and Knights aren't my favorite names but they could come up with something much worse.

I don't think a name like "Aces" would be any better and a lot of people seem to like that name.

Jeffrey93

Nov 7, 2007
I just watched the sit down with Eliotte.

First thing that came to mind was......who in hell does this guy think he is? He is acting like he already owns an NHL team.

And he goes on....that Gretzky is an advisor. Who cares?!?!

RIGHT NOW you're a nothing that knows some people and MIGHT sway them into giving you an NHL team. What then?!?!

Everything about this is doomed

Make the words you Jeffrey93 haters....it's all doomed. DOOMED!

DyerMaker66*

Must have missed the big media firestorm. Thanks.

I think I asked this before but....what other expansion markets held a ticket drive? What relocation markets held a ticket drive? Did any have a substantial impact in the league's decision?

Hamilton has done so at least twice. The first time resulted in the Senators going bankrupt. The second time resulted in the NHL losing millions in Phoenix.

BattleBorn

50% to winning as many division titles as Toronto
Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA

The ticket drive has permission to use the trademarks and logos of the league. It's not like this is some rogue dude trying to get a team through the use of social media.

Stonewall

Jan 14, 2013
I think sparkychewbarky already disproved this notion

Because we need another team to be militarily themed, and Air Force themed on top of that.

I'm thinking the name contest is nothing more than a ruse and that the haters should get used to Black Knights. That name was pretty much confirmed when the team colors were revealed.

Unless the public hates the name they aren't going to change it (something similar happened with the Raiders, they had a fake name contest and were going to called the Oakland Señors until the public got angry and forced them to change it). People aren't going to get angry at Black Knights.

DyerMaker66*

Good call, I've confused exactly how many times we've been porked by the NHL and for which teams.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad