NHL to Seattle Volume XVI - It's Official. Seattle to join the league for 21-22 season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seattle Totems

Apr 14, 2010
Thanks for your input, do you have any receipts besides Brian Windhorst and his 'source' ?

Why do I need more sources? This is pure speculation on both sides. I don't think it matters what relationship OVG has with the NBA. If key arena doesnt serve the leagues interests they wont go there. Also consider for a moment that there might be a pretty strong bias on the Key Arena side.

Seattle Totems

Apr 14, 2010
Why? It seems like it’s better option than spending billions of own money to build a separate one, especially considering they will have to split the concerts and events with NHL arena. Which then makes the project even less appealing I reckon.

Will they split the concerts? I don't know. Does OVG have a monopoly with promoters?

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Will they split the concerts? I don't know. Does OVG have a monopoly with promoters?

OVG, NHL and NBA groups will all own 1/3 of the arena revenue. NHL Seattle group is basically the NBA Seattle group. The NBA is not going to tell one of its owners, that is perfectly fine with the renovated facility, no we don't want you and your arena.

Tim Leiweke also did say that the NBA will be getting a free arena out of this.

Seattle Totems

Apr 14, 2010
Again you are speculating based on bogus comments by the ESPN person. He intentionally ignored 2 factors 1) NBA must sign off the arena before construction 2) we have a NBA minority owner of the Boston Celtics as our main NHL guy that went on the record saying he will sell his shares of the Celtics to own the NBA Seattle team. 3) No one in the right mind would spend another 700 to a billion on building another arena in Seattle or in the region on top of paying for the expansion fee for the team itself.

So please stop claiming that the NBA has no interest in the renovated key arena. They don't care where its at as long as a building happens that meets their specs which it will.

You said no one in their right mind would pay the Seattle expansion fee. You're speculating. I'm speculating. One owner is not the league. I don't think the NBA wants to go into an arena they don't control. The NBA is not currently interested in expansion and they hold the cards. You disagree and you have a lot of bias.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
You said no one in their right mind would pay the Seattle expansion fee. You're speculating. I'm speculating. One owner is not the league. I don't think the NBA wants to go into an arena they don't control. The NBA is not currently interested in expansion and they hold the cards. You disagree and you have a lot of bias.

No is going to pay 700 to a billion for another arena when one already exists. It just not going to happen. Tim Leiweke said that himself. I already said the NBA will have 1/3 of all revenue and the NHL group will be the NBA ownership group as well. I am not being biased I am stating what has came out from OVG regarding the NBA.

And the NBA is not going to throw a current minority owner and Tim Leiweke under the bus and tell them their facility is not good.

Remember for the arena to be construction it must be signed off by both the NBA and the NHL.

The only group out there that's spending false information about OVG and the NBA is Sodo arena group and htats where the ESPN guy is getting it from. No one else is saying that that Key arena renovations is not good for the NBA or the NBA will never share the arena with a NHL team.

Listen to the Softy & Dick Interviews Episode - Tim Leiweke of the Oak View Group on tonight's exhibition game, the possibility of the NBA in Seattle, and the NHL training facility on iHeartRadio | iHeartRadio

Listen to this interview with Tim Leiweke. He specifically calls the artcle by ESPN that the NBA will never work with key arena that will require a separate building is bogus.

Last edited:

Seattle Totems

Apr 14, 2010
Tim Leiweke has a clear bias and he said himself that the league has no intention of expanding. So no, there is no NBA commitment to Key arena. Fact.

Does not matter if the city thinks it has assurances. Does not matter if you or I think that no owner will commit to a 700 million dollar arena when one already exists. There is no commitment or assurance of an NBA team to Key arena. Just speculation from you and hope from a minority owner.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
With that said, right now OVG is more focused on getting the building done, the NHL practice facility done and geting the NHL team. When the NBA decides they are ready to expand to 32 teams. Seattle will be interesting and turning in a bid for one of 2 expansion teams.

If the NBA decides not to expand, that has absolutely nothing to do with key arena post renovations.

Let's focus on the present and what may or may not happen a decade from now.

brewski420

Sep 29, 2009
Ohio
The city has thrown everything into Key to get NHL and NBA there. To think they will let another $700M arena to be built in Seattle is not realistic speculation. It is beyond the imagination, at least for me, having watched the whole Sonics fiasco. If the NBA doesn't want Key, and I don't believe this at all, than they won't be there in Seattle IMO.

Reactions: powerstuck

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Tim Leiweke has a clear bias and he said himself that the league has no intention of expanding. So no, there is no NBA commitment to Key arena. Fact.

Does not matter if the city thinks it has assurances. Does not matter if you or I think that no owner will commit to a 700 million dollar arena when one already exists. There is no commitment or assurance of an NBA team to Key arena. Just speculation from you and hope from a minority owner.

my last comment to you. Tim Leiweke spent his entire career building arenas for both NHL and NBA. He knows what he's talking about it and clearly he said there are no market out there where there are two fully privately funded arenas. Markets that have two arenas, are all public subsidized.

snovalleyhockeyfan

I'm just the messenger.....
May 22, 2008
North Bend, WA

Yes, but I refer you back to what Aaron Levine from Q13 noted in the Tweet I posted here last week:

The quote here of most interest is this one:

But frankly, this really is the only path leadership is allowing right now.

Whether the NBA likes or dislikes the KeyArena project, the reality is is that if they want to play in this town, this is what they have on the table. They're not going to dictate what happens here. The city is and will. One of the things I think you forget is that part of why the council seemed to go out of its way to make this deal with Oak View is so they could be the ones doing the dictating to the leagues. Not the other way around.

If the league doesn't like that, well, too bad then for them and for fans. The Hansen plan was the better plan, you and I are in full agreement on that. But unfortunately, that plan didn't win out in the end and this is what we have so we need to make the best of it. Not continue to debate when there's no debating it anymore. Everyone needs to work together on the larger goal of getting both the NBA and NHL in there together. And by the way, IIRC, Leiweke has said the NBA would be an equal partner in the revenue haul out of there so there you go. And if they're owning both, it'll probably work a lot of the same as it does with Toronto (Leafs/Raptors), Denver (Nuggets/Avalanche) and other markets where the NBA and NHL are owned under the same umbrella.

And oh, this from the news conference per Ian Furness:

So they're going to be working this hard, I'd guess. If the NBA prefers Hansen's plan, they should have come out publicly and said so. They didn't so here we go.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
The city has thrown everything into Key to get NHL and NBA there. To think they will let another $700M arena to be built in Seattle is not realistic speculation. It is beyond the imagination, at least for me, having watched the whole Sonics fiasco. If the NBA doesn't want Key, and I don't believe this at all, than they won't be there in Seattle IMO.

Its also not manically feisable either. No banks will loan money out to another privately funded arena in the same market even then Lieweke also said that Live nations owns most of the music concerts

Leiweke also said on KJR that Live nation owns majority of the content and they aren't going to share it with two arenas

If the NBA doesn't want OVG arena plan or approve of it, then the arena won't be built at all period. I think if the NBA were to expand, we have a very very great shot to getting 1 of the expansion slots. We have connection in the NBA right now. Note NBA Pacers owner is chair main of the group that owns Northgate Mall.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Yes, but I refer you back to what Aaron Levine from Q13 noted in the Tweet I posted here last week:

The quote here of most interest is this one:

Whether the NBA likes or dislikes the KeyArena project, the reality is is that if they want to play in this town, this is what they have on the table. They're not going to dictate what happens here. The city is and will. One of the things I think you forget is that part of why the council seemed to go out of its way to make this deal with Oak View is so they could be the ones doing the dictating to the leagues. Not the other way around.

If the league doesn't like that, well, too bad then for them and for fans. The Hansen plan was the better plan, you and I are in full agreement on that. But unfortunately, that plan didn't win out in the end and this is what we have so we need to make the best of it. Not continue to debate when there's no debating it anymore. Everyone needs to work together on the larger goal of getting both the NBA and NHL in there together. And by the way, IIRC, Leiweke has said the NBA would be an equal partner in the revenue haul out of there so there you go. And if they're owning both, it'll probably work a lot of the same as it does with Toronto (Leafs/Raptors), Denver (Nuggets/Avalanche) and other markets where the NBA and NHL are owned under the same umbrella.

And oh, this from the news conference per Ian Furness:

So they're going to be working this hard, I'd guess. If the NBA prefers Hansen's plan, they should have come out publicly and said so. They didn't so here we go.

Aaron levine is a pro sodo arena guy. He as well is completely 100% ignoring what is being said from OVG we have 1 ownership group that will own both teams. There is going to be no problem with having a NBA team in Key arena. The NBA is not going to tell Leiweke no about OVG arena plans at key arena. Leiweke has built a number of current NBA arenas.

Lieweke said there is no market out there that has 2 100% privately funded and privately owned arenas. It does not exist.

Can we stop bringing up what one SCC person said please. She has no impact what so ever about whether or not the NBA will expand.

brewski420

Sep 29, 2009
Ohio
If the City of Seattle let's another private investor build another $700M arena in City limits just for the NBA than I will be glad I have left for having to put up with the past years fiascos. It would be a total waste with everything else needed done for the area. It makes zero sense (and I even at one time advocated such a thing with NHL going outside Seattle somewhere) for two arenas in Seattle.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
If the City of Seattle let's another private investor build another $700M arena in City limits just for the NBA than I will be glad I have left for the past years fiascos. It would be a total waste with everything else needed done for the area. It makes zero sense (and I even at one time advocated such a thing with NHL going outside Seattle somewhere) for two arenas in Seattle.

No bank would ever approve out a load for a 2nd privately funded facility either.

Reactions: MaxGeno60

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
I suspect retail space will be a team store. Seattle could use another sports bar. Angry Beaver can only hold so many people.

jbron

Apr 27, 2014
West Coast
Aaron Levine will next tweet that Hanson is pushing hard to get three hardwood courts also at Northgate Mall for his NBA teams practice facility.
LOL.

Like most people I would welcome the NBA to come back to Seattle no matter where or when. However, this is a hockey board not an NBA board. The continued NBA talk really detracts what the City of Seattle and OVG have done to bring an NHL team to the area.

Reactions: gstommylee

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012

A general idea of where along 5th Ave NE where the practice facility could be at.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
If the City of Seattle let's another private investor build another $700M arena in City limits just for the NBA than I will be glad I have left for having to put up with the past years fiascos. It would be a total waste with everything else needed done for the area. It makes zero sense (and I even at one time advocated such a thing with NHL going outside Seattle somewhere) for two arenas in Seattle.
This was the big decision that city council had to decide on. Which of the 2 options of a privately financed arena would be best for the city over the next few decades. Either a key remodel or the SoDo project. It simply does not make any fiscal sense to build 2 stadiums when the majority of cities that have both major sports play out of the same arena.

City council opted for the key remodel. Hopefully for the city of Seattle that is enough to get an nba team. As with the nhl and Houston, it all comes down to whether the nhl owner has the desire and wealth to acquire an nba team. Houston didn’t for the past 15 years. Same with Portland for 23 years.

But I think Seattle would target an nba if available.

But man, Hansen has been pushing for the SoDo project for Years now.

Hopefully city council made the right call here. Would not want to see a repeat of the result early 90’s decision to just remodel the Key for basketball only. Such a short sighted decision ultimately cost them their nba team 17 years later. A brand new arena at that time would put it around the same quality as Rogers arena in Vancouver and the rose garden in Portland.

MNNumbers

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 17, 2011
^^^^
I remember reading the tea leaves on this for many years. Here is how it went...

1- Hansen comes out with his proposal, after he has purchased the land....HEY!!! a new arena. Everyone here is very excited.
2- Increasingly, two things happened. One, it became clear that Hansen was interested in the NBA far more than the NHL. Many here ignored those hints, and continued to push SoDo.
3- The second thing was that the City Council was not excited about Hansen's SoDo idea, and some here suggested that the reason was that, if SoDo was built, Key Arena, which is city owned, would become unnecessary. That made sense, but for whatever reason, SCC dragged their feet on SoDo.
4- AS SOON AS OVG CAME FORWARD WITH AN IDEA FOR KEY, the SCC all of a sudden was on board the idea.
5- As you can see, SCC fast tracked it, and that, apparently, is highly unusual for Seattle politics.

Conclusion: All along, the SCC wanted to protect the city's arena. Now that said arena is going to be a show piece after the construction is done, there is absolutely NO WAY that the city is going to allow another arena to be built. If they dragged their feet when there was a CHANCE Key might be remodeled, how much more will they drag their feet after it's done.

Basically, Hansen now has a big chunk of high value commercial and industrial property, and he will do OK eventually selling it for development. But, there won't be an arena.

Reactions: MaxGeno60
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad