NHL to Seattle Volume XVI - It's Official. Seattle to join the league for 21-22 season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

snovalleyhockeyfan

I'm just the messenger.....
May 22, 2008
North Bend, WA
He won a Super Bowl with the Seahawks and is now their winningest coach ever. He may not be the coach, but I'm guessing he'll still live here. He's Ditka in Chicago status. :laugh:

Yep, you're right. Probably ends up retiring after this year would be my guess but IIRC, Tod Leiweke was team president of the Seahawks when they hired Carroll to coach the team nine years ago. So he has a little bit of a rooting interest to see this work out.

BTW, Daniels just spoke to Bonderman:

BattleBorn

50% to winning as many division titles as Toronto
Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
With the official announcement of the new expansion team in Seattle, we have opened the Seattle message board here on HF. Please visit it here: Seattle

This thread will remain open for neutral discussion of the Seattle expansion team, names, uniforms, business, etc. For Seattle fans (and fans in the making) the Seattle board is your new home for Seattle-centric discussion with your fellow Seattle friends and fans.

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
I am extremely disappointed with the 21-22 start date. The ownership group felt 20-21 was realistic but it looks like NHL screwed with the fans making us wait 1 more year.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I've been reading comments from Seattleites on certain newspapers and it seems that the traffic around the arena is beyond dreadful. I am reading comments that anybody who lives on the east or north side should just watch the game on TV instead of the hassle. Any truth to this? And if so how are they going to fix it?

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
I've been reading comments from Seattleites on certain newspapers and it seems that the traffic around the arena is beyond dreadful. I am reading comments that anybody who lives on the east or north side should just watch the game on TV instead of the hassle. Any truth to this? And if so how are they going to fix it?
Seattle traffic is awful. Especially around the arena. No doubt about that. Most people would need to take Westlake Ave or Mercer Street to get to KeyArena. Both those streets are a cluster**** because of Amazon and Google.

BattleBorn

Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
Mercer is a nightmare when there's not an event going on, I'd hate to see what it's like with a few thousand extra cars coming in and leaving at the same time.

My intention is to bus in from Bellevue or park somewhere downtown and hoof it. If the light rail from Bellevue is done, that's likely what I'll do.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012

Traffic isn't as bad as people claims. Evening game days, the traffic will be heading east away from Seattle center not into Seattle center. The monorail station at westlake center will get upgraded.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Seattle traffic is awful. Especially around the arena. No doubt about that. Most people would need to take Westlake Ave or Mercer Street to get to KeyArena. Both those streets are a cluster**** because of Amazon and Google.
You mean their companies/warehouses are there and when everyone gets off at work at 17:30 it makes the place a nightmare?

VikingAv

Mediiic!!
Jun 18, 2006
Norway
I am extremely disappointed with the 21-22 start date. The ownership group felt 20-21 was realistic but it looks like NHL screwed with the fans making us wait 1 more year.

Would be a really bad start kicking off with a lockout, imo.

Btw, the possibility of one was probably a big reason for the delay of one year. Or rather, giving the NHLPA a truckload of leverage if they announced a start in 2020.

BattleBorn

Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
You mean their companies/warehouses are there and when everyone gets off at work at 17:30 it makes the place a nightmare?
It's the only way to get from west of Lake Union to the interstate, it's kind of always cruddy.

Honestly, it's a large enough street to handle the traffic, they just need to eliminate some of the cross streets or synchronize the signals a lot better.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA

Multiple office locations around that area for both Google and Amazon. Another problem is that Mercer is one of the main streets to get out of Seattle and get on I-5. So that street is almost always backed up. My office is on Westlake and there are times that it takes me about 20 minutes to get on Mercer (about 3/4 mile of driving) and another 20 minutes to get on I-5 (about 1/2 mile). So yeah .. it can be brutal.

The good thing going for us (hockey fans) is that summer is the worst time for that commute. In the winter I have noticed that traffic is a lot better after 6 PM or so.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Would you guys say that those roads are normal downtown two-lane roads with one-ways mixed in? I just started street-view and I can understand why it is brutal. I consider it fortunate in Colorado since the Pepsi Centre is one exit off from the highway to a three lane road with a ton of parking options for at least five blocks or so.

Perhaps it is not as bad as people make it out to be, but one area I am kind of buying into is the huge lack of parking around the arena - need more investigation with street view though. That park on the east side of the arena doesn't really help. Honestly, just get rid of it and put a multiple parking garage for everyone to use in terms of games during the night and parking for Google/Amazon employees during the day.

AdmiralsFan24

Mar 22, 2011
Wisconsin
My office is on Westlake and there are times that it takes me about 20 minutes to get on Mercer (about 3/4 mile of driving) and another 20 minutes to get on I-5 (about 1/2 mile). So yeah .. it can be brutal.

That is brutal. It pisses me off when it takes me 35 minutes to go the 26 miles to or from downtown to home instead of the 25 minutes it usually takes. :laugh:

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
Mercer is a nightmare when there's not an event going on, I'd hate to see what it's like with a few thousand extra cars coming in and leaving at the same time.

My intention is to bus in from Bellevue or park somewhere downtown and hoof it. If the light rail from Bellevue is done, that's likely what I'll do.

RIP to anyone hoping to take Mercer or Westlake to get to the arena. Between 4pm to 6:30pm it is literally faster for me to walk home than to get a ride on an uber or with a friend which would involve being on Mercer for just a few blocks.

You might also want to consider those lime bikes and scooters.

People getting off of work and those streets not really being designed to handle such a heavy volume

dukeofjive

Jul 7, 2013
whistler b.c
Thats awesome for seatle and the area to get a hockey team, the only negative i see is that some gms will get saved by the expansion draft with some of the terrible contracts there giving away.

Cant wait to go watch the habs in seatle.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
RIP to anyone hoping to take Mercer or Westlake to get to the arena. Between 4pm to 6:30pm it is literally faster for me to walk home than to get a ride on an uber or with a friend which would involve being on Mercer for just a few blocks.

You might also want to consider those lime bikes and scooters.

People getting off of work and those streets not really being designed to handle such a heavy volume

Traffic is going the other way not into Seattle center.

nickp91

Jun 29, 2011
Given that the greater Seattle region is home to two thriving WHL teams, I think we've got more than enough hockey appetite to handle an NHL team

snovalleyhockeyfan

I'm just the messenger.....
May 22, 2008
North Bend, WA
Would you guys say that those roads are normal downtown two-lane roads with one-ways mixed in? I just started street-view and I can understand why it is brutal. I consider it fortunate in Colorado since the Pepsi Centre is one exit off from the highway to a three lane road with a ton of parking options for at least five blocks or so.

Perhaps it is not as bad as people make it out to be, but one area I am kind of buying into is the huge lack of parking around the arena - need more investigation with street view though. That park on the east side of the arena doesn't really help. Honestly, just get rid of it and put a multiple parking garage for everyone to use in terms of games during the night and parking for Google/Amazon employees during the day.

That park is Seattle Center and no, they won't be getting rid of that anytime soon. The roads are all one-way around there with just three or so lanes available. It will be a traffic issue, no doubt, but this is one of the things Oak View is working on to help alleviate as that is an impact issue for the surrounding neighborhood.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad